New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New member from California. XJR probs..

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New member from California. XJR probs..

Hello All.

My name is Michael an i'm not a Jag owner. My mother took her car to the dealer for what should have been a routine coolant leak, but it turns out the line is in a hard spot get to... Under the supercharger. They quoted her $2100. USD.

So, being semi mechanical i decided to tackle this project. I have an MB E500 and a Hummer H2, and i do most of my mechanical stuff on them. By trade i fix industrial circuit breakers.

I've got most parts in my way removed, plastics, coolant rez, intake plenum, that metal housing that sits over supercharger.... but after much searching, i see where i am stuck. The Damned EGR valve. I have no clue how i'm going to get it out. I get frustrated easy lol.

I found the thread on somebodies STR supercharger removal so i am using that as a general guidline. I did not find one specifically for the XJR. So if i find anything different, or any tricks, i will creat a new thread.

Wish me luck.

Michael.
PS, if you guys have any advice it is much appreciated.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Welcome to the forum Michael,

Good to have you with us.
You have obviously fund the tech sections, you may want to ask the question there for more ideas.
Good luck with the repair.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

The following users liked this post:
chipdouglas40 (10-29-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 PM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

You're finding out just how awkward those coolant lines are to access.

If you don't come up with the info you need using the 'search' facility, then post the question in the XJR section.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User ID button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Graham

Old 10-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Welcome Michael, the supercharger removal thread you refer to from the s-type, should be the same configuration as your mom's xjr, if she has a 2004 or newer. If you want to find some information on an earlier xjr model's supercharger, check out the XK8-XKR area as well as the x308 for those earlier years, as the 99-2002 xkr used the same setup, and may be a writeup on it over there.

I've read about it being managed by their owners, and although time consuming with the parts R&R, the labor is the majority of the work involved. Get yourself a good replacement hose if you haven't already, one that will not degrade as quickly as the original (i'm sure you already thought about that, didn't ya?!)

Good luck! Post up a detailed writeup if you feel like authoring your steps, it could very well end up the 'go-to' for future owners tackling it themselves...and with greater confidence.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Thank you guys for the welcome!!! I am at standstill at this moment. I literally only have 1 more bolt. it is the one located at rear of supercharger towards firewall under air intake. i thing i need a wratchet box end wrench.

@H20boy, yes, my car appears to have been same set up as STR. i did the tear down myself until i got to the EGR prob then i followed ttwotees tutorial. When i get the sc out. i'll also be changing oil in it and cleaing out all soot and stuff from intercoolers and intakes. my front sc bearing appearts to be fine, but then again everything is always fine until it's not lol.

I have taken lots of pix, so when i get it put back togehther i will be making a loost tutorial just to show the exact inside of XJR. I will link ttwotees for the main tear down.

Michael.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Michael welcome aboard the site, good to have you here with us here at JF

Thanks fore the intro.
Looking forward to your post buddy

Any useful information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, use the search facility etc, can be found here
Helpful_information

Check out the regional section for your area?
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 PM

Thanks Jim!!!

So, i have it all put together and a couple minor things. But i'm going to make a post in the right section for that.

Michael.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  19.3 KB

great, look forward to it and hope we can help

Old 10-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri

Good to have you with us.
You have obviously fund the tech sections, you may want to ask the question there for more ideas.
Good luck with the repair.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
Hello Mike, thanKs for sharing,and I will offer my information and I hopwe it helps.I have done this job 3-4 times.Yes I have a 2004 xjr and did mine also when I replaced knock sensors..Yes you will need to remove the cowl filter housing.This is held by 5- 10mm screw,once removed,you will see two small 8mm screws holding the egr downtube into the supercharger induction plate.Some people will remove the lower 13mm bolts holding the tube to the exhaust,but the tube itself has enough flex to allow you access to move the egr.Remove the throttle body,the front expansion tank,the coolant piping housing in the front of the engine,then remove the supercharger serpentine belt.Then losening it with a 3/8 drive fanbelt pulling tool.Remove all coolant line and intercooler lines etc.At the rear of the super charger you will have 4 10mm bolts holding the induction housing onto the back of the supercharger.These will have rubber gromet washer fixed to them,then on each side you will see two 10mm mounting bracket bolts holding it in place,they will have to be removed,It is a intense job but gets easier each time.Jaguar charges 14 hours labor,and I do it myself in about 5.5..I know this is lots of info but we can send you pictures if needed.Once the supercharger is removed,you will see a foam matt incased in plastic for sound damping,ift it up,and behold you will see the dreaded coolant line and both bank knock sensors..My advice is to remove the intercooler runner gaskets while in the plenum,and any gaskets in that area.Until we hear from you, Happy Wrenching..! Let us know if we can do anything else for you.This is a very knowledgeable forum with insightful people always willing to help..You came to the right place...

Last edited by 912guy; 10-31-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,755 Likes on 8,741 Posts

A belated welcome (almost neighbor). You'll find lots of very good help in this forum. After you that that beast back together and a "road test", bet you'll be gettin your own Jaaaag....

Old 10-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Banned

Good car, support, mark