New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member, convert from BMW

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Member, convert from BMW

for as long as I can remember (we're talking 6 years old here), I've wanted a Jag XJ. My reluctance to own one so far has probably been more timing than money-related; but last month, I finally decided it was time!

I've had a ton of BMW's up until now, most recently unloading my beloved e39 5-series. I still own an e36 M3, but will probably sell it soon as well. Spending most of my life owning sports cars, I was shopping for a used XK8 coupe... only to find myself continuing to be drawn to the XJ sedan.

I located a used 2004 XJ8 here in New Orleans last month. What made this one stand out was the price. At an asking price of only $7500, I couldn't resist at least going to "look" at it. Keeping in mind that I continued to lean toward the XK coupe, I wasn't REALLY interested... only curious as to why this one seemed under-priced.

Well, the XJ did have a few obvious issues when I went to look at it:
  • suspension was sagging... not to the ground, but obviously lower than normal. It also had a fault code and "suspension too low" warning
  • there was a subtle misfire in the engine
  • check engine light was on
  • either a pulley, accessory, or belt squeaking
  • the trunk wouldn't open unless you stuck the key in it
  • oh ya, did I mention it has 120,000 miles?

there were a few other minor things that drew my attention, but suffice to say, I had some bargaining chips to offer this guy. Please keep in mind that next to the handful of mechanical items listed above, and one minor door ding, this car looks like the day it left the showroom... the interior is perfect, even the factory floor mats are unmarked.

I offered him $6k in cash right there on the spot, telling him that it obviously needs at least $2k in repairs just to bring it to normal standards. He accepted, and we transferred title right then.

I got to work on it that weekend. I'm a mechanical engineer with about 15 years experience working on german cars as a hobby... so although this car is slightly different, there are enough similarities that I'm not as afraid of it as I thought I would be. As of today, just 5 weeks later, the car is near perfect and ready for any upgrades I'm considering. The "problems" were:
  • MAF sensor code-- turned out to be simply unplugged, but I removed the entire throttle body assembly, cleaned it thoroughly, re-installed, and replaced the MAF sensor anyway (figured it couldn't hurt, in case it was unplugged for a reason).
  • Consistent misfire code, cylinder 3-- I changed all 8 sparkplugs (obviously for the first time). Transferred the #3 coil to cylinder #4 and cleared the codes. It took 3 days, but the misfire code came back- this time to cylinder 4. Bought a coil at the Jag dealer for $45. NOTE-- the replacement coil from Jag looks different than the original, but the parts guy says it's the correct replacement. Problem solved. YOU HAVE NO IDEA how much performance issues come up from a bad coil !!
  • The doors would not lock with the remote, and the alarm kept going off on its own-- replaced the trunk solenoid (and remembered to transfer the original key lock cylinder!). Now everything, including the trunk, works!
  • The transmission seemed to be either slipping or hesitating to lock in gear-- drained the fluid, refilled with Mobil One (assuming it was a bit low). Did this procedure twice with no effect on the problem. This was before tackling the ignition coil problem. I knew the ignition coil problem existed, but figured "running on 7 cylinders is the least of my problems"... turns out it was coil. Once all 8 cylinders were firing, this car runs like new! On the lighter side, at least I did the tranny service before it really needed it!
  • Low Coolant Warning-- bought a new tank for $105 from the dealer while picking up the ignition coil. It was a bit pricier than online, but at only $45 for the coil, I didn't feel that I was being taken advantage of. Reasonably easy replacement for a 6 year old... but the hands of a 32 year old don't fit so easily. It took 2 tries to get the bottom hose seated properly.
  • Low suspension-- ok, I decided not to even attempt this one (although hind sight, I should have)... turned out the compressor wasn't pumping enough pressure. Dealer cut me a "deal" and did the replacement for $900, including a trip to the diagnostic computer to confirm most of the codes I listed above.
  • squeaky pulley-- replaced the belt (obviously the first time)... sounds like a brand new Jag. Oh, and ya, this one is also difficult for those us with normal-sized hands!

The only thing remaining still is a suspension fault code that no one seems to be able to figure out. The dealer blames it on a possible "aftermarket" shock. I know that's bull... the service manager promised me a better explanation next time we chat... otherwise I'm leaning toward a bad sensor. Otherwise, no other warning lights on the dashboard.

All in all, less than 3 weekends of tinkering, and a total investment of less than $7,500. I'm familiar enough with the car now to work on pretty much any part of it. Time to start thinking of upgrades and preventative maintenance items to occupy the weekends. This is strictly a weekend car, just something nice to go out in. Its fun to have a valet attendant pull up in my car and hear someone behind me say "Now that's what I'm talking about!"... all the while thinking "ya, and I only paid six grand for it!"

Greg in New Orleans
2004 XJ8 black on black

Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Greg Welcome aboard one of the friendliest sites around......99% about Jags but we are an enthusiast site. Almost a great intro, certainly full of info and thanks for sharing BUT.........

You can't tell a story like that and then NOT post pics.
** you have 3 days or you will be banned **

Check out the various sections, off topic, regional and detailing etc all have stuff going on and worth a peek.

I've upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site

Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks jim !!

I wanted to post pics today, but it was already dark when I got home. This "project" doesn't really need before/after photos, so I intended to takes pics after it was completely detailed and buffed out.

I ordered stainless mesh grills last night, so I guess before/after will be in order when I'm installing them!

I posted a question regarding stereo upgrades this afternoon in the Forum... hope to hear some responses. The only thing I'm disappointed in with the Jag is the stereo-- not so much the sound quality, but the lack of being able to add upgrades (in relation to bang-for-the-buck). I'd love to add factory nav, but after looking at that project, no thanks!

Next on the horizon:
  • figure something out with the stereo
  • new rims... shopping on TireRack right now, and think I've found what I want
  • get the fender ding fixed
  • window tinting
  • cold air induction kit? Kind of unsure on this one, but found a kit that looks like it "belongs" in this car.
  • figure out why my gas mileage seems a bit low
  • oil change, brake job, and any other misc. maintenance item I can think of

Thanks for welcoming me! As a long-time (and very active) member for Roadfly, these forums are nothing new, but it's nice to see the people are genuinely nice and love these cars as much as I do!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  19.3 KB

Cool, thanks for the update

I for one will be dropping by to check it out. I'm sure it'll get plenty of hits

Old 01-18-2011, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Welcome, that's an usual intro that we rarely have
I think you hit the jag-pot this time
Have a nice forum viewing and happy driving

Old 01-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 6,322 Likes on 5,509 Posts

Welcome Greg,

Good intro, I feel like I've been looking over your shoulder during the repairs!
Congrats on the great deal.