New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

new member hello and question about xk8

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile new member hello and question about xk8

Hello all, not sure how to start a new thread or introduce myself. 60 year old looking for a fun car recently; i've owned a Dodge Stealth and Audi TT; was thinking about another TT but reviews are nothing but horrors; thinking of an old Triumph but i'm not savvy or patient enough to deal with the reliability. I took my Passat in today for service and there was a 2001 blue Jag XK8 on the lot. I was sure the dealer was pulling my leg about the price: $16,000 for a 2001 convertible with 32,000 miles. Great shape.
Question: I know nothing about the reliability of this. I'll use it for commuting for a few months a year. I'm awaiting a carfax. It's a reliable dealer; i've bought from them before. Any advice would be helpful. What I do not want is something that is going to be a constant maintenance nightmare costing me a few grand each time I bring it in. But this seems like a great car and ridiculously low mileage (it's a local guys summer car).
thanks
Joe Ullman chimayred@aol.com

Old 08-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 4,325 Likes on 3,735 Posts

<p>welcome to the forum -I've moved your post to its own thread.&nbsp; You will find a wealth of info and support here - simply follow the links provided below.</p><p>There is a primer in the XK8/XKR section on things to look for&nbsp; when buying.&nbsp; Personally, I think the price is a bit high even with low mileage.&nbsp; With that said, these cars are great cars and meant to be driven - so low miles doesn't always mean less problems - just make sure maintenance has been done, check gaskets/hoses, etc as age&nbsp;is already a factor and could pose a problem.</p><p>For XK8 questions, check out the XK8/R section - the DIy's at the top of the page are a great starting point&nbsp; XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum</p><p>For local events/news, check out the North East US regional section</p><p>USA North East - ME NH VT MA RI CT NJ NY PA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum</p><p>Lastly recommend adding a signature to your profile by clicking the User CP link in the upper left.&nbsp; Include model and year for best responses to questions you may have.</p><p>Enjoy</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Old 08-01-2015, 05:19 PM
GGG
Received 16,866 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Joe,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

A 14 year old Jaguar will be expensive to maintain if you use a franchised dealer, less so with an independent and considerably more reasonable if you DIY.

Follow Steve's link in post #2 to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 08-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,437 Likes on 5,455 Posts

Hello, Joe,
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 08-01-2015, 07:21 PM

thank you all. I apologize in advance; i'm having a tough time figuring out exactly how to start an introductory post.
With that in mind I will take your advice on this. I appreciate it. My brother in law is a car lunatic (and a BMW snob) and felt even if it was a bit overpriced cars at that age and "rarity" (I have read only a few hundred were imported into the US) are tough to value. Considering i was looking at TT's and TR6's with their hosts of problems and higher mileages this may not be such a big deal, and I am good with hoses and belts needing to be replaced. I have agood foreign car mechanic who i will have look at it and take it from there. Looking forward to hopefully being a contributing member. Many thanks again.
joe

Old 08-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Received 10,561 Likes on 6,974 Posts

Welcome.

Plenty of sound advice already.

Common sense goes a long way with any car purchase.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by chimayred
cars at that age and "rarity" (I have read only a few hundred were imported into the US) are tough to value.
joe
Not true...there are many thousands (10's of thousands over 9 years) of XK8s imported to the US. Certainly not a very common car, but it is by no means rare.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Default import #'s

thanks for clarifying.
Starting to get cold feet. . I owned 2 cars once and it was not fun paying for insurance, maintenance, etc. I owned 2 houses once too and it was not fun for insurance, maintenance, etc. Maybe there's a trend here I should pay attention to?
But you only live once.
thanks for the information.
joe

Old 08-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-02-2015, 05:16 AM
Default Oops. XKR

Oops. My mistake it's an XkR not xk8. I looked at pics and the badge is xkr. Their spec sheet said xk8
Seems that justifies the higher price?

Old 08-02-2015, 05:18 AM

Does the fact that I was wrong - this is an XKR not XK8 - change anything?

Old 08-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Received 4,325 Likes on 3,735 Posts

<p>Joe - KBB shows&nbsp; range of 14K to close to 18K so 16 not far off.&nbsp; If you can, have your mechanic check it out before you purchase&nbsp;- anything he may find (even minor) could give you some bargaining power.&nbsp;</p><p>I purchased my XK8 before I found the forum and not knowing what to look for, but have not regretted it one bit.&nbsp; In the 3+ years since&nbsp;I made her my daily driver, I've added over 50000 miles to her (odometer currently at 143052).&nbsp; The wealth of knowledge and support on this forum have made it an enjoyable journey.</p>

Last edited by sklimii; 08-02-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 6,338 Likes on 5,523 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Joe,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 08-10-2015, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.