New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New member from Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default New member from Indiana

My first Jag was a 1948 Saloon that cost $125 on the used car lost at Hefner Chevrolet in Ft. Wayne. The time was 1965, & at that time a minor could not legally purchase a vehicle without parent/guardian written consent, actually would be in their name, not mine. My dad killed the deal and they were forced to refund my money.

My second was a 1957 XK140 drophead, red, with 2 speed automatic, no cream puff, but ran great. $475 at a different Chevy dealer in Ft. Wayne, same result: Dad killed the deal.

Then came 2 E-types that my brother Donn and I bought from a guy in Muncie. He would sell the 64 fixed-head if we got him a replacement bonnet for his roadster. We found a fiberglass bonnet in gold metal-flake (not kidding) which went well with his leopard-skin seats (still not kidding) and we got the silver 64. It was sold in the 70's to a guy who had a 240Z who wanted something similar for his wife.

Next was a 66 E-type maroon roadster with a bad clutch (Martinsville, IN) I pulled the engine and rebuilt it myself, since it was out, and got it back in and running, drove it twice, but never got any further due to a job and garage change. Sold it through Hemmings with a OBO attached, and the best offer was twice what I was asking. What a surprise, to a guy for his wife

Next came a pair of XJ40's which we used as family cars and daily drivers, until the air conditioning in the Vanden Plas went bad and nobody wanted to attempt the dashboard out/major repair. I sold it to a guy for his wife who was from Russia and didn't like air conditioning. Sense a theme here?

We bought a Subaru, which does much better on our ugly steep driveway, and it's my wife's daily driver.

I got the itch again, and spotted an 2001 XJ8L with a trans problem for cheap, and the clincher was that it is gold, the perfect color for a car that travels dusty gravel roads. My 93 XJ40 was plum, a dark purple, which looked like it needed a bath every other day. I've had this gold car 2 months and the rain and an occasional hose-off have been just fine. I drive a truck-full-o-tools at work, so I use the Jag as my daily commuter, and I'm going to miss it when I get it into the garage for it's new transmission. But at least then it wil have the low end pull to get up my driveway.

Pete

Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Welcome to Jaguar Forums

Welcome Pete ... and greetings from fellow enthusiasts in Australia.

I loved reading your story here ... and reflecting on a similar "kill" by my Dad. I was in my final year at school and the car I bought was a '28 Oldsmobile ... the engine and tyres were fine; mechanical brakes only at rear ... the only things missing were the machine guns! Having been grounded, I was in further trouble when Dad learned that I had sold it! "Why sell a good car like that?" Years later, we both chuckled at the memory but, by then, we shared a mutual passion for a long and varied succession of leaping cats.

The XJ8 is a great drive and you will find plenty of resources, advice and shared friendship here ... from the forum's main menu, jump over to the model specific section to check out the XJ8 action. I also encourage you to visit the regional section shared by other members in your area ... local and regional events are second only to the advice from fellow members of recommended service providers in your area.

All that remains is for you to dive in and enjoy!

Best wishes,
Ken

Old 06-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Pete,

Good to have you with us.
An interesting history!

To get answers to those tech problems that pop up head this way XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and do try and check your regional section too USA Mid West - IL IN IA MI MN MO OH WI - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 06-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,216 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteK812
My first Jag was a 1948 Saloon that cost $125 on the used car lost at Hefner Chevrolet in Ft. Wayne. The time was 1965, & at that time a minor could not legally purchase a vehicle without parent/guardian written consent, actually would be in their name, not mine. My dad killed the deal and they were forced to refund my money.

My second was a 1957 XK140 drophead, red, with 2 speed automatic, no cream puff, but ran great. $475 at a different Chevy dealer in Ft. Wayne, same result: Dad killed the deal.

Then came 2 E-types that my brother Donn and I bought from a guy in Muncie. He would sell the 64 fixed-head if we got him a replacement bonnet for his roadster. We found a fiberglass bonnet in gold metal-flake (not kidding) which went well with his leopard-skin seats (still not kidding) and we got the silver 64. It was sold in the 70's to a guy who had a 240Z who wanted something similar for his wife.

Next was a 66 E-type maroon roadster with a bad clutch (Martinsville, IN) I pulled the engine and rebuilt it myself, since it was out, and got it back in and running, drove it twice, but never got any further due to a job and garage change. Sold it through Hemmings with a OBO attached, and the best offer was twice what I was asking. What a surprise, to a guy for his wife

Next came a pair of XJ40's which we used as family cars and daily drivers, until the air conditioning in the Vanden Plas went bad and nobody wanted to attempt the dashboard out/major repair. I sold it to a guy for his wife who was from Russia and didn't like air conditioning. Sense a theme here?

We bought a Subaru, which does much better on our ugly steep driveway, and it's my wife's daily driver.

I got the itch again, and spotted an 2001 XJ8L with a trans problem for cheap, and the clincher was that it is gold, the perfect color for a car that travels dusty gravel roads. My 93 XJ40 was plum, a dark purple, which looked like it needed a bath every other day. I've had this gold car 2 months and the rain and an occasional hose-off have been just fine. I drive a truck-full-o-tools at work, so I use the Jag as my daily commuter, and I'm going to miss it when I get it into the garage for it's new transmission. But at least then it wil have the low end pull to get up my driveway.

Pete
I love this story, Pete,
Welcome from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 06-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 4,281 Likes on 3,701 Posts

welcome to the forum - great intro - you will find plenty of info and support here simply follow the link Norri has provided - enjoy!!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 04:50 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome tot he forum

Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

A late 'Welcome' to Jaguar Forums from me Pete. I've been away driving my Jaguar across Europe and had no internet access.

Thanks for the interesting Intro.

Graham