New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member--Late & Long Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts
Default New Member--Late & Long Introduction

<p>Hello All,</p><p>I am sorry I had not posted an introduction earlier; I have been battling a severe respiratory and sinus infection for the last seven (7!) months that had left me quite ill. That and arguing, begging, and finally demanding the appropriate antibiotics from my doctor; and an answer as to why he would not give me what I had been asking for, for the last several months. It turns out that there are new regulations for the prescribing of antibiotics, which I am completely on board with, as I believe people in general, my mother included, misuse and misunderstand their purpose and how they work.</p><p>She will feel a 'cold' or 'scratchy' throat coming on and pop a few antibiotics that she had not finished from a previous prescription, (bad idea on both ends). Although I have thoroughly explained the difference between a 'viral' and 'bacterial' infection, and that they will only work for one type, and by taking a few for a couple of days will most likely make whatever she has more resistant, she still continues to abuse them, along with the general public en mass. That and the fact that the doctors office had written in my chart that I am allergic to Amoxicillin; I am not, I had told them I cannot have any of the new types of 'compressed', 'hyped up'-take two today, and one a day for the next three days-types of antibiotics. I had been unable to get a prescription for what I knew would work, until a week ago, as I have had this chronic inner ear infection, that spreads to my lungs and sinus' if not treated promptly, since I was six years old.</p><p>However, now that I have been on the proper medication, I am feeling allot better, and can now get around to checking out my new car more thoroughly. I bought a black 2003 Jaguar XKR convertible, with 55,215 miles, at time of purchase, and every option available, on March 8th, 2015. I have covered my new investment with a complete Vehicle Service Contract, including the optional emissions package from Warranty Direct; after researching all of the Vehicle Service Contract providers to find out which are scams, which ones only cover 'mechanical breakdown', and do not cover tearing into the motor to find the problem, then only covering the part that failed, and which provides the best complete coverage.</p><p>My new contract includes 'wear and tear' coverage as standard, and any other type of breakdown, pays the mechanic with a corporate credit card, and covers everything required to fix my vehicle from start to finish, the only things that are not covered are the consumables such as tires, brake pads, etc., unless they are related to the failure. I am almost to the 1000 mile requirement, and I am past the 30 day requirement, for the contract to be in force, but I hope that I will never need to use it.</p><p>However, should the engine seize for some reason, or a 'SwitchPod', 'Regulator','Control Module', or ANY other component, Electronic or Mechanical, fail or wear out causing failure, it will be fully covered with the zero deductible VSC I have purchased. There were several error messages being displayed when I bought the car, and the dealer lied about these, and told me things such as &quot;the 'Airbag Warning Light' remaining on meant it was working&quot;, I am glad I am not a complete idiot, and I could tell that this many errant messages from unrelated systems were either a short, bad ground, or loose wires; the latter being the case, because the car would not run if it were encountering all of the errors displayed, and would surely go into some sort of 'Limp Home Mode', or at least display a 'FailSafe' or 'Code' of some kind, it did not.</p><p>Lucky for me, as this scared away allot of potential buyers, and drove the price down, but after spending 15 minutes on the forum, I had diagnosed all of the scary messages from the information display panel, and eliminated all but one, which have not returned to date. The only problem I have now is with the 'Adaptive Cruise Control Unavailable', and 'Check Rear Lights', but according to the carfax, the right rear tail light assembly has recently been replaced, so I'll need to check for proper ground as the lights work, also while I was driving it back from Seattle ~325 miles away from home, the 'Check Rear Lights' and 'Cruise Control Unavailable' would clear itself altogether for long periods of time, usually after going over a bump in the road, so there is hope that I do not need a new switch, I'll need to take a closer look at the switch itself, plug, and/or ground.</p><p>Also, I'll hit the 'Set' button and for a second it will display the 'Set Speed' and engage, before displaying 'Cruise Cancelled', but I understand this, and the 'CCU' and 'CRL' messages have something to do with the brake switch as well. At any rate, I have purchased an awesome vehicle for $7,000 less than it was originally advertised for when it was put to sale, as they kept lowering the price, as more and more people walked away from it, due to the errant error messages being displayed. I was able to confirm this by reading all the customer reviews, from the nine months it sat on their lot, posted by the potential buyers that came to look it over; had one of them bothered to spend 15 minutes on this forum, as I had, I would not be driving this magnificent automobile today. So, Thank you from the very beginning.</p>

Last edited by sklimii; 07-09-2015 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added some line breaks
Old 07-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

With your warranty, get that brake switch replaced...it is likely intermittent. As you seem to know, your symptoms are very likely pointing right to it.

Enjoy the new ride!

Old 07-09-2015, 05:45 PM

Thank you WhiteXKR, I have been to your site and plan on purchasing the 'RealGauge' for my water temperature gauge soon. I have the navigation panel, and want to keep it, and possibly replace it with a garmin nav system that I saw in a video on YouTube I think, but is there a way to obtain an original oil pressure gauge, from the 3 gauge cluster, and use a hole saw to mount it to the left of the navigation panel and have it read back the accurate oil pressure?

Old 07-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,208 Likes on 5,386 Posts

Yours is not the first case of Nasty respiratory infection this year. I'm glad you have it on the run.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 07-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Welcome from Texas!

Old 07-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums 03 XKR,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 07-09-2015, 06:30 PM

Thanks H2Oboy; I grew up in Texas, 33 Miles East of Dallas, in a little town, at that time, called Royse City, population 1600. I hear the town has exploded with growth since then; I miss that Texas State of Mind.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:32 PM

Thank You Norri, I just have.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:34 PM

Thanks H2Oboy; I grew up in Texas, 33 Miles East of Dallas, in a little town, at that time, called Royse City, population 1600. I hear the town has exploded with growth since then; I miss that Texas State of Mind.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 XKR
Thank you WhiteXKR, I have been to your site and plan on purchasing the 'RealGauge' for my water temperature gauge soon. I have the navigation panel, and want to keep it, and possibly replace it with a garmin nav system that I saw in a video on YouTube I think, but is there a way to obtain an original oil pressure gauge, from the 3 gauge cluster, and use a hole saw to mount it to the left of the navigation panel and have it read back the accurate oil pressure?
Unfortunately the oil pressure gauge shares an enclosure and circuit board with the clock and voltmeter in the 3-gauge cluster, so you cannot simply remove it from the cluster. It can be cut apart and rewired, and then connected to RealGauge, but it is not a trivial task. If you want to add an oil pressure gauge, an aftermarket gauge mounted to the A-pillar is a more straightforward approach.

Thanks for visiting my site.
-Steve

Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

<p>welcome to the forum - enjoy!!</p>

Old 07-10-2015, 03:10 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 07-10-2015, 03:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum 03 XKR,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I can see you've already found your way to the XK8/XKR tech forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 07-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:13 PM

Thank you Jim, I have a few topics to discuss with the forum at this point, and will post them soon.