New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New member living in Dubai

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member living in Dubai

Hi, it is good to be part of this forum.

I currently drive a Lexus but in the next few weeks or so I hope to get an XK8 or XKR convertible.

Living out here in the desert I have a question regarding over heating!

Are either the R or 8 prone to over heating at all? Is one model better than the other in this regard?

I will probably get a 2007 or 2008 model do you think that there is anything that I should be particularly looking out for?

The cars sold over here are "Gulf Specs" so I assume that Jaguar do something that caters for the heat and dust but it would be great to hear from anyone who has experience in these matters.

Thanks

Old 12-02-2011, 01:46 PM

I think that I owe you an apology.....

Before jumping straight in and asking you for help maybe I should tell you a little about myself.

I am 51 years old and have lived in Dubai since August 2007, I moved here from the UK.

I have always been interested in driving and the roads out here are by and large fantastically smooth and wide so it makes driving a pleasure. However, the standard of driving is generally appalling which can detract from the driving experience!

My job takes me all around this region and to Africa so I get to see some interesting places and consider myself very lucky to be paid for doing so.

My wife and I both drive Lexus at the moment but we want a fun car hence the probability of buying an XK in the near future.

It would be great to hear from anyone who would like to know more about me or the country that I live in.

Mark

Old 12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mark,

One Lexus in a family is more than enough.
Head on over to the XK section and the guys will give you plenty of advice.

So it's not true that you can just go to the airport and take your pick of vehicles left by fleeing expats? :-)

Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi Mark welcome aboard Jaguarforums, its really good to have you with us .....

Thanks for a great intro full of info about you, your life / location and the car that you don't have yet, but would like to!
The only thing missing is pics, but as you don't have the car yet......

I visited Dubai myself around a year ago, albeit only for a week and during Ramadan no less!!

Strange but kinda beautiful country with so many contrasts......out in the desert and everything pretty wild and amongst poverty almost, then bam.....driving into the heart of Dubai lit up like a Christmas tree at nght, and tripping over top end cars everywhere!!!

The heat at around 45 -50 degrees for me, was just a killer and don't think I could take it long term, but still a great experience for sure.

Please head on over to the XK section and ask away till your hearts content there....the guys will give you all the info you need I'm sure

If you like forums, I think you'll like it here! Some of the best guys around and a really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site...................................

Old 12-03-2011, 04:34 AM

Thanks for your reply guys.
Ramadan is not the time to visit this country, especially in the summer! Most of us tend to go on holiday or go home during August as it is unbearable here.
Sadly Norri the days of the cars being parked at the airport by fleeing expats is long since past, some of the stories were exaggerated but for a time it was interesting over here...
I went to the local Jaguar dealer just to check on the price for a new XK8 and it works out at $92 for the convertible, is that similar to the US?
Thanks again

Old 12-04-2011, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mark.

WOW $92 for a convertible, are batteries not included? LOL

I'd be interested to know more about the Gulf Specs.

Best of luck with your purchase.