New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New member, long time lurker

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014 | 10:47 AM
|
Default New member, long time lurker

Hello all, and thank you for all the help I have already received from this wonderful forum.

I first came into this world by a simple twist of fate, a road rarely taken home where I first saw my beloved Jag, appropriately up on a dais at a local dealer. Love at first sight...of course, you all know of what I speak

That was 3 years ago, and it has been a great time. I found your forum not long after, and marveled over the expertise that many of you have, and swore I would soon begin some of the mods I was reading about. But, she ran great, and aside from some niggling faults (loose rear view mirror, cupholder that opens on a whim), I could not take time away from enjoying her to start tearing into her.

I am no mechanic, and typically break something else while fixing something , another reason to not tamper with something that works.

Then, back in May, I received several green drops from the front sensor above the windshield when beginning to lower the top. Recognizing from my reading on here that I was about to receive the "green Baptism", I immediately secured the top and released the pressure valve on the pump. But, summer was approaching, and here in Phoenix one does not go topless (the same reason I do not stand in front of my oven with the door open while cooking). So, I waited, and read. Then, in October, the drive belt shredded. Luckily I was close to home and made it without incident. So, now it was go time. Last month I ordered the complete hose set from Top Hydraulics based upon what I had read here. Upon receiving them I was extremely impressed with their detail and fitment. So I began...

I read most of you completed this procedure in 8-10 hours...I took a bit longer . This is a "weekend" vehicle for me, so I took my time. I figured that while I was in up to my elbows it was time to do everything I had thought about (antenna mod, fix those niggling faults, remote top, new radio, etc.).

The hoses went in, but while cycling the top the fluid level in the pump dropped (from purging air and filling new lines). Then (read above ), while pulling the pump out I broke the wiring connector to the "raise" solenoid.

Now I am back to pulling the pump and sending it to Top Hydraulics for a rebuild and replacement solenoid...it seems the most logical step as a replacement pump on ebay is about $400, and the rebuild is $600 with solenoid fix. Will also be ordering the remote top module from the member on here (whitexkr?).

So, just wanted to say "hello" and especially "Thanks" to all on here who donate their time and expertise, I would never have even attempted this without all of your input (and fantastic pictures!).

With the utmost appreciation,
Ed

Attached Thumbnails New member, long time lurker-imag0067.jpg   New member, long time lurker-imag0068.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by busardr:
GGG (11-30-2014), JimC64 (11-30-2014), Norri (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014 | 11:25 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Ed,

Good to have you with us.
I;m sure you know where the tech section is so here is a link to the regional section USA Southwest - AZ TX NM OK - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Don;t forget to let us know how the mods go.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-30-2014 | 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hello, Ed,
We Love to read how someone found ways to fix their car while in Lurk Mode! Kudos for wading right in and doing what needs to be done. Not to worry about breaking something you're working on, So many of us have been there, done that.

Most of us also know the Love at First Sight thing of which you speak. It's a Very pretty car you happened upon. Isn't life funny sometimes how it all works out.

Welcome (officially) to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 11-30-2014 | 05:27 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Ed,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

There's no need for a link to XK8/XKR tech forum from me after you've been viewing for three years!.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 11-30-2014 | 05:36 PM

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 11-30-2014 | 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 12-01-2014 | 04:20 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 12-01-2014 | 04:49 AM

Welcome.

Very nice "love at first sight" pick up.

Old 12-01-2014 | 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome Ed,
Nice to have you out of the shadows and into the light.