New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New member with my first Jag arriving soon, in limp mode!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021 | 03:14 PM
|
Default New member with my first Jag arriving soon, in limp mode!

So, I missed the "please write an intro" and just went ahead and posted in the main forums. Duh!

I just copied that previous message below, but basically this is the car I bought, hopefully it should arrive in a day or two. I live in Ireland and this will be my first Jag.
I currently have a 2006 Peugeot 407 estate but just about every gadget and extra is broken in it.. heating, sunroof, central locking, etc. and it's 15 years old and insurers don't like people with 15 year old cars in Ireland!
So I thought it was time to get a new toy to play with..

So, this is my original message: (I tried not to repeat details above)

Hello, all, I'm new here..

So I just bought a 2010 "click and deliver" X-Type 2.2D automatic, today and it should be delivered in a few days. I paid under €2000 for it, and it's done about 50,000 miles, and the ad said that it randomly goes into limp mode.

I'm not a mechanic but I've done stuff like wheel bearings, timing belt, alternator, starter, before, (including diagnosing a tricky sticking fuel regulator where the car would randomly cut out at stops after warming up), basically anything that didn't include removing the engine, head or the gearbox. And I've used the ODB Peugeot Planet, Lexia3, ODB diagnostics etc.

So basically what I'm asking is: How do I go about diagnosing the limp mode problem? Can I use one of those cheap ODBII devices to smartphone/laptop or is there a specific/better Jaguar kit? Or something in between?
Or are there any basic checks or common faults to check for this problem? Glow plugs, DPF, EGR, etc?

And any other tips or advice for somebody with a new Jaguar would be welcome..

Thanks..
Joe

The following users liked this post:
GGG (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021 | 07:14 PM

Welcome aboard Joe.

gijoe50000 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021 | 07:29 PM

Welcome to the Forums.

gijoe50000 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021 | 07:51 PM
|
Talking

Originally Posted by Daf11e
Welcome aboard Joe.
Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Welcome to the Forums.
Thanks guys!
Hopefully I won't be a regular poster, asking stupid questions all the time..

Daf11e (03-01-2021)
Old 03-02-2021 | 01:22 AM

Welcome to the forums.

gijoe50000 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021 | 02:57 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by gijoe50000
..... I currently have a 2006 Peugeot 407 estate but just about every gadget and extra is broken in it.. heating, sunroof, central locking, etc. and it's 15 years old and insurers don't like people with 15 year old cars in Ireland! .....
Welcome to the forums Joe,

I understand the Eire Government are even worse - they don't like any drivers and tax you ferociously.

I can see you've already found your way to the X-Type forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the UK & Eire Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/uk-eire-68/ to find other members in your region.

Please add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

gijoe50000 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021 | 05:11 AM
|

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums Joe,

I understand the Eire Government are even worse - they don't like any drivers and tax you ferociously.

I can see you've already found your way to the X-Type forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the UK & Eire Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/uk-eire-68/ to find other members in your region.

Please add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham
Yea, our government are a right PITA!
Tax for this car, 2.2D, is €790 if you pay in advance for the full year, and €992 if paid every 3 months. Not sure how long I'll even hold on to it at this rate, maybe a year or so.
But yea, thanks, I'll check out those links. I think I've already added the car to my sig, it wasn't showing up a few minutes ago but seems to be back now.

And the car actually arrived this morning, the guy rocked up with it on the back of the lorry at 7:30am after driving about 200 miles.. he must have been up at the crack of dawn!
I think the car was probably sitting idle for a few months, a bit dusty, and the tax and NCT are out, and it probably needs a good service and a clean and a polish, but should be an interesting project. Seems to be running just fine.

Old 03-02-2021 | 05:21 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by gijoe50000
Yea, our government are a right PITA!
Tax for this car, 2.2D, is €790 if you pay in advance for the full year, and €992 if paid every 3 months. ..... And the car actually arrived this morning ..... Seems to be running just fine.
VED on my XK is 580 UKP in advance for the full year or 609 UKP paid monthly. Bad enough but nowhere near yours.

Signature changes appear with your NEXT post - not immediately. This catches out a lot of members.

Any basic code reader will give you the Pxxxx Powertrain error codes which should be enough to diagnose the random limp home mode. Good luck.

Graham

Old 03-02-2021 | 05:46 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums gijoe50000,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

gijoe50000 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021 | 06:55 AM

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 03-02-2021 | 08:18 AM
|

Originally Posted by Norri
Welcome to Jaguar Forums gijoe50000,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help
Originally Posted by sklimii
welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!
Thanks!
There's mountains of great info here.. Just browsing the HOW TO section at the moment..

Old 03-02-2021 | 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hello,
Congratulations on your new Jaguar!
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 03-04-2021 | 03:45 AM
|

Originally Posted by LnrB
Hello,
Congratulations on your new Jaguar!
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')
Thanks! Finally got it out of limp mode yesterday, and so had a chance to feel the power! They're really nice to drive..
The engine is so much cleaner and new looking than my old cars even though it could still do with a touch up. My last two car engine bays were an oil bucket and a rust pit!

I'll give it a proper clean after I do a service in a day or two.
It was cheap so didn't come with a valet or service or anything, but I kind of prefer it that way so that I can get to know the car when I work on it.
And it's a bit more satisfying too.

GGG (03-04-2021)