New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member, New Jag -- My Wife Hasn't Killed Me Yet

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Member, New Jag -- My Wife Hasn't Killed Me Yet

Hiya, all, from surprisingly sunny Seattle!

I just bought my first Jag, a 2004 S Type R. It's got high miles, needs major work on the steering, and the body needs a lot of love -- eventually. I bought this car very cheaply, and am excited to start working on it, not only for the hobby, but because I've always loved this car and the blown V8 sounds amazing right now.

Any tips and tricks for getting started? A common thread is buying a JTIL manual. I'm a DIY noob and have some basic parts and jack-stands; I'm trying to do as much as possible without having to borrow a shop's hydraulic lift.

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2017, 01:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum ShiftDriftDream,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ed-v8-x200-15/ to the S-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

The Workshop Manual is JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information System). You could buy it or it's available as a free download in General Tech Help forum:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...rchives-65926/

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Northwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-northwest-64/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
ShiftDriftDream (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,206 Likes on 5,386 Posts

Tell your wife she'll know where you are and what you're doing nearly every waking minute. AND, you're not spending your hard earned on dollar slots,

Jack stands are good, but find your nearest Harbor Fright (if they even do business in WA) and pick up a roll-around hydraulic jack of moderate capacity (for lifting the car so the jack stands can go under). If you're not sure, ask one of the staff and tell them what you want to do with it. They'll direct you from there.

Beware though, because HF is a tool geeks paradise.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
ShiftDriftDream (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:14 AM
Received 10,477 Likes on 6,918 Posts

Welcome.

Well done.

Elinor has nailed it.

My wife allowed me to buy 2 more V12's after the XJS knowing full well I would be "in the shed" at any waking moment.

Smart people these wives.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:47 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:16 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 05-23-2017, 07:48 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums ShiftDriftDream,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 05-23-2017, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome, all! The links were definitely helpful and I'm excited to see that there's a PNW section! I've already found the JTIS for the STR and I think I've got a good start re: how the heck I'm going to tackle the steering and suspension.

Funny story, when I told my wife that this "might" be happening, she told me that the first thing I'd have to do once I got the keys was clean out the garage. No chance that I could just leave it on the driveway. Well, since the first thing I need to do is take the wheels off, we shall see how much more clean the garage will be in the coming months.

Thanks again! I'm currently scouring the forum looking for places to start, so admins, don't delete me if I'm not hitting my metrics. I'm probably just feeling overwhelmed.