New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member with new (to me) jag

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member with new (to me) jag

Greetings fellow big cat owners. I just scored myself a very pretty 1997 XK8 convertible with 60K miles on it. There are some issues as you might imagine and I am now in the process of formulating a game plan to take care of them. First and foremost I have reason to believe the engine has a broken timing chain. I have not taken any steps yet to investigate the issue as I just got home with the car on a trailer. My first thought is to remove the head covers to begin checking out the extent of the damage. Its not my intention to get knee deep in an engine overhaul.
The car is in such good condition that I don't mind spending a bit of dosh getting it running and driving. Just want to develop a plan that moves me forward with minimum wasted $ or time.
I think a first step might be to buy a service manual. Suggestions?

Thanks

Old 11-21-2015, 05:10 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum coconut1,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

A broken timing chain is unusual but broken plastic tensioners on the early XK8's is a regular issue. The factory manual (JTIS - Jaguar Technical Information System) is available as a free download from the forum.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/ to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the USA Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/usa-lower-atlantic-nc-sc-fl-ga-66/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 11-21-2015, 05:47 PM
Received 10,507 Likes on 6,939 Posts

Welcome.

As Graham said, the top plastic tensioners are the most likely culprit. Still a big job to sort.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:09 PM

Im discovering that as I just read a procedure for getting to the timing chain(s). May be a bit more than i want to tackle. I guess thats why God made mechanics? How does one find a competent jag surgeon in south florida?

Old 11-21-2015, 06:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by coconut1
....... How does one find a competent jag surgeon in south florida?
Posting the question in USA Lower Atlantic Region forum ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/usa-lower-atlantic-nc-sc-fl-ga-66/ ) is probably the best way to get that kind of local knowledge.

Graham

Old 11-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,299 Likes on 5,422 Posts

Hello,
Congratulations on your 'new' Jaguar, even if it does have a few problems. I hope they're sorted out soon.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 11-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,864 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 11-22-2015, 05:33 AM
Received 4,302 Likes on 3,719 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 11-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Received 6,323 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums coconut1,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 PM

Took off the valve covers today and the top chain is hanging there. Definately broken. Not sure how or why yet but plan on digging deeper. I would really feel better having some one qualified look at this problem. I am pretty good at fixing, its the diagnosing that gives me trouble.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:27 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 127 Likes on 123 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your XK8. Share with us few pictures when you can. This site is a great resource with tons of useful information and knowledgeable guys, you will find everything needed here.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Default Wow! lots of options

Started the DD today on what to do and who to hire to do it. I'm pretty impressed at the quality of help available here in South Florida for these cars. Sure hope their game is as good as their chat. Looks like a replacement engine is the best choice. I hate to give up on the one that's in it because it has been kept up with regular maintenance and the like. But if a new heart is needed. Color me a transplant,,,,

Old 11-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features