New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New member from South Florida

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014 | 05:45 PM
|
Default New member from South Florida

Been browsing for a few months and made a User name but haven't posted yet. Decided now is better than never. Already found a lot of useful information on these forums and I hope I can find an opportunity to give back to the forum community.

About 5 years ago I bought a 94 Jaguar XJ6 for $800 and this is when I fell in love with Jaguar. It left me stranded a few times, it had dents and rust holes, the interior was decent.

But I fell in love with the car the second I drove off in it, and no one I knew understood why I bought it or decided to keep it for as long as I did. It hadn't been taken care of by the previous owner and wasn't expecting much out of it, but through its downfalls it was one of the smoothest and classiest rides I have owned.

Even with the cosmetic problems I still got compliments on it. I had it for about a year and a half before I decided to sell it after it left me stranded for the last time and decided it was time to stop spending money on it. I didn't know anything about fixing cars back then and after selling it wishing I knew how to work on cars so I can fix it, I decided to learn.

Now I am working for a shop working on diesel trucks, and going to school specializing in General Motors vehicles. I feel like my life would have went a different direction had I not owned that Jaguar.

Fast forward 5 years later and after 5 years of regretting selling it I decided it was time for another. I found a 97 Jaguar XJ6L 4.0L with 42,500 miles, Black Exterior, Black Interior and pulled the trigger.

The interior is immaculate, the cup holder works, the headliner doesn't sag, no cracks in the wood and the leather is in really good shape. The roof needs clear coat, the hood and driver side fender needs paint. but other than that the exterior is in good shape. I plan on painting the entire car soon and get the windows tinted to help protect the interior from the hot Florida sun.

So far I have changed all the fluids (ATF twice) except for the brake fluid which I plan on doing soon. I installed a new fuel filter and spark plugs. Replaced brake pads and rotors all the way around. Replaced the front wheel bearings (only needed to add grease and re-adjust but decided while it is all apart might as well start new). Installed a new fuel level sender.

Changed out fuel injector o-rings and fuel pressure regulator. Replaced belts and installed a new alternator and battery. Radiator was leaking from the plastic tank upon purchase so replaced radiator and thermostat while I was at it. And finally replaced the differential struts with the differential mono-strut to hopefully cure a violent bang I was getting from 3rd to 4th shift on some shifts.

The mono-strut I learned about reading a thread in the Jaguar forums about the x300 hard shift and decided to give it a try and it worked, no more violent bang (Thank you to Jaguar forums and the author of that post whose name I forgot). That's all I can remember doing to the car.

The A/C was running beautifully, until the condenser to compressor hose started leaking so I have the hose coming via UPS and hope to get that sorted out soon.

Now all the people who told me not to buy this Jaguar because my old one was a "piece of junk" as they called it are in love with it.

Thanks for reading my unnecessarily long post, and thank you for having me. 

Last edited by JimC64; 10-29-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: please add line breaks
The following 3 users liked this post by Scarecrow:
GGG (10-29-2014), Norri (10-30-2014), o1xjr (10-30-2014)
Old 10-29-2014 | 06:05 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Scarecrow,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums and thanks for a great Intro.

I can tell you learned some very valuable lessons from the first experience with a Jaguar and after three months browsing here, you won't need a link to the X300 tech forum from me.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the USA Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link USA Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 10-29-2014 | 06:15 PM

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2014 | 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

We don't mind when people write long posts, it lets us get to know them better.
Once you have a Jaguar it's in your blood. Ask me how I know that.
Welcome back, and welcome to the forums
from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 10-29-2014 | 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 10-30-2014 | 03:23 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Scarecrow,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 10-30-2014 | 07:28 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 10-31-2014 | 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Default Welcome to Jaguar Forums

Welcome scarecrow . . . and greetings from a fellow enthusiast in Australia.

We pride ourselves both on the quality of the resources and technical help available here, but also the friendliness that keeps members coming back long after any problems are resolved.

Best wishes,
Ken

Old 10-31-2014 | 05:51 PM
|

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

Originally Posted by GGG
I can tell you learned some very valuable lessons from the first experience with a Jaguar
Yes, one of them, being unemployed and having a Jaguar with mechanical problems does not mix. At least not for me.

I thought I added a signature, though I been having some technical difficulties with my computer. I went back to the control panel and checked and it still shows up when I click edit signature, but didn't show up when I made that post. I restarted again, I hope it shows up or else I will be checking out that Helpful information section JimC64 mentioned.