New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member, Toronto 2004 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, Toronto 2004 XJR

Wow! I had no idea there is so much going on with Jag owners.

Being my 4th Jaguar, I know we all share some interesting insights into these great handling and comfortable vehicles. But some of the mechanical issues that arise can be very frustrating.

I just learned that the new Navigation system DVD player on my 2004 XJR is sold out. In Canada, the dealers will give you $172 for your broken core unit which H.O. then sends to England to be rebuilt somewhere and then it is returned to the dealers as a refurbished unit, with a 12 month warranty, for $2600.

This unit was replaced when I bought the car 7 month's ago, but it wasn't be a dealer so the warranty doesn't apply. These DVD's aren't rocket science so I should be able to find a local electronics technician who can repair it.

No luck finding one so far, but I'll let everyone know if I do.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey JR and welcome to JF, good to have you here with us .....

There really are some amazing and friendly guys here....you're in really good company to discuss anything Jag related or even just to have a few laughs!

Anything we can do to help, just post and the guys here will help you out no problems....

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features so jump on in and enjoy

The following users liked this post:
Jim Reid (02-25-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If the XJR section can't help, scroll down to the Audio section.

Best of luck.

The following users liked this post:
Jim Reid (02-25-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good advice above, hope you can get it sorted.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

I found an audio technician in Unionville who checked my DVD out for $75.00. He couldn't do any thing because the Japanese manufacturer Densa, would not sell him any parts.
I then disassembled the unit my self and removed the disc and took it and the car to Grand Touring Automobile in Toronto. Since the screen and radio weren't working I asked them to check the fuse panels in the trunk and passenger compartments. (I had checked these fuses and they all seemed to be okay.)
Their technician found a broken connection in the wiring harness plug leading to the fuse box in the trunk. He replaced the broken pin and everything began to work again, except for the radio speakers. A fuse had dropped out when he removed the fuse box and I'm hoping this will solve my remaining speaker problem later today.
A few months ago we discovered a half inch of water lying on the trunk floor under the spare. There was a poor insulation problem somewhere on the trunk lid. This water had led to corrosion in this pin as the wiring harness was lying on the trunk floor.
I had said to my son on the way to the dealer that most car problems are small things that go wrong.
It cost me $600 for this corroded connection instead of $3000 for an unnecessary replacement of the DVD unit!
I was lucky to have a smart technician figure out my real problem.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:24 PM

welcome to the site and very happy to meet you all......