New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

new member XK8

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new member XK8

Hi, I have recently purchased a LHD XK8 which spent ten years in the USA and was first registered in England in 2008. The car was registered as K11DVD which is still on the car although the car is now in SW France (Dordogne) where I live for part of the year (London for the remainder wher I have no car). I have no requirement for this registration but will retain it for selling once I have a French Registration.

I have contacted Jaguar Customer Services to obtain a Certificate of Conformity, I will then be able to get a Controlle Technique (MOT) and then begins the bureaucratic nightmare that is the French registration system. I have just spent six months trying to register a Reliant Scimitar GTC and only last week after the documentation going back and forth have i succeeded in providing it correctly. I am hopeful the this time it will be much simpler!

The car is in very good condition but needs a little TLC to get it up to standard, nothing major but simple things that if left could cause major problems in the future.

The car came with little documentation and I would like to obtain a copy of the handbook, can anyone help, I would accept an electronic copy, I am happy to pay whatever it costs.

I have not driven the car much but the few miles I have driven have been very enjoyable.

Looking forward to participating in the forum

Old 01-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

I hankered after a Scimitar at one point, but I got over it, nice cars just the same.
You can download handbooks here,
TOPIx - TOPIx they may not go far enough back for your car but may be close enough.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Hello and welcome,

So that will be a 1999 Model? The cars come with two document folders:

GLOVE BOX (in a green folder on the early cars)
Driver's Handbook
Audio Handbook
Security Handbook

BOOT (Black plastic folder secured to the left hand inner wing by an elastic strap)
Vehicle Care Handbook
Maintenance Schedule (or passport to Service for a US market car)

All of these are available electronically.

US spec car so it shouldn't have a code locked radio. (UK cars have two Radio Code Cards included)

You've got some work ahead to get the French registration but used Jaguar values are very high there compared with the UK so you could even be in the unusual position of making money on it!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 AM

Where can I download these items please?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Registering an unmodified production car in France is relatively painless. A moden Jag should not be a problem.

Personally, I always go through the DRIRE for certification, Hotel des Impots for a Quitus Fiscal, CT center for CT, and off to the Sous Prefecture for Carte de Grise, not forgetting my Insurance Broker at the very beginning.

OK you have to pay a few Euros along the way, but with the DRIRE document if you drive quickly, you can have your new registration document in your hand the same day.

Job done.

I think that you will have more problems in trying to retain the UK plate for sale for a permanently exported vehicle. (you need to check this one).

Good to have you with us.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:16 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Translator
Welcome to the forum.
Registering an unmodified production car in France is relatively painless. A moden Jag should not be a problem................
Richard,

I knew I'd read a very knowledgeable posting recently on the procedure for registering cars in France but couldn't remember where. It was yours!

Graham

Old 01-18-2012, 04:19 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by matthew.r
Where can I download these items please?
If you can't find them on the TOPIx link in Norri's posting, get back to me. I have them as PDF's on a CD from JDHT (Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust).

Graham

Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 AM

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your input. I have spoken with Jaguar Customer Services and am waiting for them to send me a Certificate of Conformity, I can then get a CT. I will get the Quitus Fiscal and the take all the documentation to the Sous Prefecture. What is the advantage of going through DRIRE? They could not help when I tried to register the GTC.

I have spoken with DVLA and as the registration came with the car it is therefore legally mine and they have assured me that I can apply to retain the plate and they will allot an appropriate number to the car. They are aware that the car will be permanently exported to France.

Any other help will be most welcome.

Regards

Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 AM

Hi Graham,

I have tried a number of sites this morning including JDHT who cannot help. I would appreciate if you could supply me with a copy.

Thanks

Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 AM
GGG

Hi Graham,

I have tried a number of sites this morning including JDHT who cannot help. I would appreciate if you could supply me with a copy.

Thanks
Matthew,

All as PDF's, I've got:
Driver's Handbook (USA)
Model Years 1997-98
Model Year 1999

Which one do you want?

I also have Driver's Handbook Supplement (USA) 1997-99 which should cover your model.

The appropriate Vehicle Care Manual depends on your VIN number. Don't post this information on a public forum - just say whether it's above or below 024687 and I'll be able to pick the right one.

The Audio Handbook and Security System Handbook both cover 1997-99 which should cover your model.

The Quick Guide depends on Model Year.

Once you tell me which ones you want, I'll check the total filesize. Will have to send direct to your eMail address and possibly as separate eMails if you have a size limit on attachments.

Graham

Old 01-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard Jaguarforums.com, great to have you with us .........

There really are some amazing and friendly guys here as the past few posts have shown....you're in really good company to discuss anything Jag related or have a few laughs!

Any issues just post and the guys here will help you out no problems....

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun
I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features

Jump on in and enjoy

Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 AM

Hi Graham,

I will take any handbooks/supplements that you think will be appropriate for my car.

Driver's Handbook (USA)
Model Years 1997-98[/B]

Driver's Handbook Supplement (USA) 1997-99
below 024687.

Audio Handbook and Security System Handbook

How can I provide my email address to you?

Thanks

Matthew

Old 01-19-2012, 05:12 AM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for upgrading me. I have been very impressed with the responses I have received so far, the members seem very helpful indeed. I will have many questions as time goes on and hopefully will get the information I require.

As you say "lang may yer lum reek"

I wonder how many queries you have had about that phrase, many I would think.

Regards

Matthew

Old 01-19-2012, 05:42 AM
GGG

Hi Graham,

I will take any handbooks/supplements that you think will be appropriate for my car.

Driver's Handbook (USA)
Model Years 1997-98[/b]

Driver's Handbook Supplement (USA) 1997-99
below 024687.

Audio Handbook and Security System Handbook

How can I provide my email address to you?

Thanks

Matthew

Matthew,

Use the forum to send me a 'Private Message' by clicking on my user ID 'GGG' in any post. This brings up the options to send me a private message or eMail.

The files are on my home PC so I'll sort them out this evening.

Graham

Old 01-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I imagine that they would have been a little stumped with a GTC, be surprised if they were ever exported to France.

Why Drire, price and speed. Lower and quicker than the constructors. If you give them all the info from the vehicle chassis plates they seem genuinely interested in helping. (note chassis plates, not V5, mistakes have been known).

Plus, you get a handy officially gov't stamped receipt for your demand, which can prove useful, in a roadside debate.

Hey guys, did you catch this thread (specifically the X308 listing), I'd also be interested in any missing manuals, for the site. Large Files Download Library.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:04 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Translator
................Hey guys, did you catch this thread (specifically the X308 listing), I'd also be interested in any missing manuals, for the site. Large Files Download Library.
Richard,

I've sorted out the following early XK8 (USA spec) PDF's for Matthew:

Driver's Handbook 1997-98
Driver's Handbook Supplement 1997-99
Vehicle Care Handbook 1997-98 to VIN 024786
Quick Guide 1997-98
Sound System 1997-98
Security System 1997-98
Passport to Service
Service Sheet 1997-98

If you want any of these to go on the forum, I can send them to you.

Graham

Old 01-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi Matthew and welcome to the forum. Look forward to chatting to you more and hope you get the Jaguar sorted out. Would love to see some picture of it.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 AM
GGG

Matthew,

Four out of five emails with Handbook PDF's rejected by your mail server as 'over quota'.

This could be either you have an attachment limit or just need to cleanup mailbox trash to make some space.

Graham

Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Hi Graham,

I have been trying to clean up my inbox but I am having trouble even deleting messages let alone archive them. can you send the others to the gmail address please.

Thanks

Matthew

Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 AM
GGG

Hi Graham,

I have been trying to clean up my inbox but I am having trouble even deleting messages let alone archive them. can you send the others to the gmail address please.

Thanks

Matthew
Matthew,

YES - please confirm which ones you have received.

Graham

Quick Reply: new member XK8