New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New members introduction - JohnnyK & Barbara

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New members introduction - JohnnyK & Barbara

Hello All: We own a 1989 XJS Convertible V12. Have had it since 1998.

We call it Pretty Kitty but she is not very pretty any longer. Due to a family tragedy, we stored it outside for 5 years. I am sure that you all can guess how well the car has held up to that mistreatment.

Earlier this year we took it out of mothballs and started using it again. In a testament to how well it was built, she started right up after some fluid changes, wire repairs (jury rigs actually), and a little TLC. I made a list of "To Do's" and got started.

I found this forum while researching how to replace the alternator (failed this month). I never worked on it mechanically before. Always had the $ to pay a mechanic to fix anything under the bonnet. Not now, so time to learn. We owned a 1971 XJ6 prior to that, which I worked on myself after buying it in pieces. Great car. Never should have traded it.

The 71 was my toy, the 89 is my wife, Barbara's, toy but she won't drive it until it is redone. The purpose for joining the forum is to pick your brains as I fix things, chronicle the rebuild, and hopefully add post to assist others in whatever endeavor they are attempting with their Jaguar.

I have worked on many makes and models since I was 15 so I am not a stranger to grease under my fingernails (I am now 60). Looking forward to meeting you all electronically. Thank you for accepting me into the group.

PS: I attached photos from the first show that we took it to recently at our church. Even in the poor condition it was a big hit. Especially with our priest, he was born in England.

People are fascinated by Jaguars. Its the styling!

Attached Thumbnails New members introduction - JohnnyK & Barbara-001.jpg   New members introduction - JohnnyK & Barbara-002.jpg   New members introduction - JohnnyK & Barbara-003.jpg   New members introduction - JohnnyK & Barbara-004.jpg   New members introduction - JohnnyK & Barbara-005.jpg  

New members introduction - JohnnyK & Barbara-006.jpg  

Last edited by JimC64; 12-14-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: PLEASE ADD LINE BREAKS
Old 12-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You should have kept that 71' XJ6, I'm not biased.

The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,260 Likes on 5,410 Posts

Hello, Johnny,
I'm sorry to read of such a tragedy but time usually blunts the pain of such events.
Your car is Beautiful! Its being RED wouldn't have anything to do with my opinion; RED is my favorite right after BLACK!
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 12-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums JohnnyK,

Good to have you with us.
You have found the tech section so you just need a link to the regional section USA Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 12-13-2014, 01:53 PM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Johnny and Barbara,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I can see you've already found your way to the XJS tech forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 12-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Received 4,292 Likes on 3,710 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts

Hello to you both! As I'm a DIYer myself and it's odd how the cost of parts seem to triple once the Leaper is tied to it. I find great deals on eBay with a Co called AtlantaEuropean (items in Atlanta European Auto Parts store on eBay!) where they've had many great used parts and when I could not locate a used part at the time, Terry's Jaguar (Terrys Jaguar Parts About Us!) in MI (press 2 to talk to Buzz) have been consistently the best price around on new parts that are in stock and ship fast.

Thank you for sharing the photos of the Pretty Kitty, and yes she still is quite the catch!

You'll not find a more eager group of folks with more knowledge and drive to assist than here. Others may be able to match it, but not surpass. That's IMHO. Welcome!

Regards,
Ragman