New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New UK member with Facel Vega

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New UK member with Facel Vega

Good day all.

I have 2 reasons for joining this forum.

I have a Facel Vega HK500 (recently purchased) which has been modified in the steering compartment. The original FV power steering was allegedly pretty much worse than useless and the restorer who supplied the car changed the power steering to Jaguar Mk2. This is probably a great improvement but I have had to replace the input shaft seal which was leaking. I now need to do something to improve the steering wheel attachment, the splines in the wheel are gone and I need to replace the amalgamated FV/Mk2 Jag column (the shaft).

2nd reason is I have just taken a half share in a 1956 XK140. This is coming on Monday My co-owner and I would like to fit some seat belts and need to source something suitable.

These chariots are my second venture into classic cars having owned a 1972 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV a few years ago (and a 1750 GTV back in '72/3, but contemporary then )

Jerome

Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jerome,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar forums. The FV was always a rare and expensive car and even more desirable now.

Follow this link MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the MKI / MKII forum for advice about your steering components.
Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k140-xk150-60/ to the XK120/140/160 forum for help, advice and information on your XK140. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the UK Region forum by following this link UK - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in this country.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Thank you Graham. All help will be appreciated. I just did a search on "seatbelts" in the XK forum but it seems a not-done thing!!

Jerome

Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Received 4,312 Likes on 3,727 Posts

welcome to the forum

Old 09-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Welcome

Old 09-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jerome,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the search
facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.

Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

See you in the forums....

Old 03-05-2017, 09:26 AM

The Facel has gone ........ thank goodness and is replaced by this:

In the workshop prior to being fully stripped for painting

a 1970 Series 2 Coupe, 3 previous owner and original UK RHD car.

The body is currently in the paint shop for a bare metal finish in it's original Dark blue paint (though maybe pearlescent dark blue) and will otherwise be fully original except for fitting some modern seats.

The engine was rebuilt by its previous owner in his restoration process which was not completed. So, this engine and box will be stripped also for inspection and correction of any problems. The back "axle" has been rebuilt with new brakes - the fronts (not to original spec ) are with vented disks and 4-pot callipers.

I'm expecting (hoping) for it to be finished by mid summer to join in with some meetings here and there

Jerry

Old 03-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,382 Likes on 5,440 Posts

Hello, Jerome,
Welcome back to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Jeronimo770 (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 05:16 PM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeronimo770
The Facel has gone ........ thank goodness and is replaced by this .....
Far better.

Graham

Old 03-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Received 3,974 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Welcome aboard Jerome.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:22 AM
Received 10,539 Likes on 6,960 Posts

Welcome back.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:15 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:22 PM

Today I made a final decision on colour and trim for my E-type. We had discussed this before as being its original dark blue with dark blue trim, however I had wanted/desired a pearlescence which at one point fell on stony ground as diverting from original. Also, I'm not keen on dark inside and out.

I looked at colours on XKEData.com and thought the Pearlescent blue of earlier cars would be fine. Comment on that site was that Jaguar would supply new cars in any colour requested so this may not be to far from original as the Heritage certificate for the car only says the colour was blue. In fact it turned out there is an E-type local to me in pearlescent blue, so I went along for a gander at it yesterday. Truly the finish was superb and it looked fantastic with its red interior.

I went into the Splined Hub this morning to discuss this and the seat fitting at the paint shop. The seats are going to be from a Mazda MX5 and to fit these will require some modification to the cross member under the fronts of the seats. We discussed this and how to maintain strength in this area which with proper consideration will work out fine. The original Jag mountings can be maintained in case later someone wants the original seats in, which I will keep safe.

In the end it was agreed the finish would be dark blue (the original colour) with red leather interior. The seats will be re-trimmed with Jaguar style leathers in red. Should look great

Jerome

Old 03-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jeronimo770
Today I made a final decision on colour and trim for my E-type. We had discussed this before as being its original dark blue with dark blue trim, however I had wanted/desired a pearlescence which at one point fell on stony ground as diverting from original. Also, I'm not keen on dark inside and out.

I looked at colours on XKEData.com and thought the Pearlescent blue of earlier cars would be fine. Comment on that site was that Jaguar would supply new cars in any colour requested so this may not be to far from original as the Heritage certificate for the car only says the colour was blue. In fact it turned out there is an E-type local to me in pearlescent blue, so I went along for a gander at it yesterday. Truly the finish was superb and it looked fantastic with its red interior.

I went into the Splined Hub this morning to discuss this and the seat fitting at the paint shop. The seats are going to be from a Mazda MX5 and to fit these will require some modification to the cross member under the fronts of the seats. We discussed this and how to maintain strength in this area which with proper consideration will work out fine. The original Jag mountings can be maintained in case later someone wants the original seats in, which I will keep safe.

In the end it was agreed the finish would be dark blue (the original colour) with red leather interior. The seats will be re-trimmed with Jaguar style leathers in red. Should look great

Jerome
Sounds like it will be excellent when finished Jerome. My own taste would be to have a cream interior with dark blue paintwork, but that is a matter of individual taste. Would love to see pictures of progress if possible.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:19 PM

Cream inside eh? mmmmm A bit Tart's boudoir perhaps??

A few pictures of progress last week in the paint shop:

Attached Thumbnails New UK member with Facel Vega-20170224_142340s.jpg   New UK member with Facel Vega-20170224_142425s.jpg   New UK member with Facel Vega-20170224_142448s.jpg  
Old 05-17-2017, 01:58 PM

At Last!! It is finally back from the paintshop. Went in 2 months ahead of schedule and came out 2 weeks behind. Not due to the car but the way the shop was run, but they've done a lovely job

Should be on the road again in a couple of months.

New UK member with Facel Vega-img_3935ss.jpgNew UK member with Facel Vega-img_3936ss.jpgNew UK member with Facel Vega-img_3938ss.jpgNew UK member with Facel Vega-img_3943ss.jpgNew UK member with Facel Vega-img_3944ss.jpg

Last edited by Jeronimo770; 05-17-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 808 Posts

Welcome. Both admirable rides. Seat belts? Pffft!

Old 07-14-2017, 02:26 PM

Well it is getting near. MoT is planned for next week with the following week for shakedown runs before delivery a fortnight today at the latest!! A lot of glass is in and internal trim. Seats are getting re-trimmed and it's looking good.

Engine was running fine last week but we found an interesting problem this week when the ignition was turned on for some electrical testing. The front carburettor was flooding badly. The carbs had all been refurbished with a complete rebuild kit from Burlen including new floats and main jets with diaphragms etc. Had the float chamber top off to check the needle valve, all looked OK. Put it back, still flooding.

Took cover off again, fuel level was low, float at the bottom. Took the float out, seemed OK but swapped it for another - still flooding. Swapped the front float chamber lid with the centre one, front carb still flooding. Indeed we took all the dashpots off and achieved fountains of petrol from the front carb main jet. Took the float cover off again and still the chamber was empty but fuel had been flooding through. So question was: why had the float not risen?? Answer must be that the air above it was not escaping via the vent pipe. So removed that (the only item not swapped) and found it was blocked with solder where the pipe had been soldered into the banjo. Dismantled that and re-soldered but it was still blocked - the pipe was blocked too. So when that was sorted and refitted, problem solved! Phew!!

These pictures are now about 2 weeks old.

Attached Thumbnails New UK member with Facel Vega-20170627_163316.jpg   New UK member with Facel Vega-20170627_163250.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
GGG (07-14-2017)

Quick Reply: New UK member with Facel Vega