New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Wanna-be Jag owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Smile New Wanna-be Jag owner

I am new to this forum and a planner. I plan everything out in careful detail. My current plan?

I have planned to possess my very own Jaguar 2dr convertible for most of my life. In the 60s it was the E-type I dreamed of, then the XJRs of the 70s and 80s, then the XK8, and finally the 2007 + XK. Unfortunately, I have never been in the position to quite "pull the trigger". I have owned some pretty interesting sports cars in the meantime (currently a bright red Pontiac Solstice), but never had that Jag I REALLY wanted.

So, for the last couple of years, I have carefully saved my pennies, carefully followed Jaguar prices on the internet, and unless befallen by unforseen circumstances, I about 10 months away from buying what should by then be about a two year old XK convertible.

So, my question to all you dedicated Jaguar guys is:

Is this beast nearly as cool a car as I my dreams have visioned it to be?

Old 12-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM

I do worry a bit about the touchscreen that seems to control everything in the cockpit. Have these touchscreens turned out to be fairly durable? It seems that it would be an expensive repair if this thing weere to fail after the warranty period.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

The touchscreens have been in since what...the 2004s (XJs and s-types) and i haven't heard anything negative about them. Seem to be doing ok.

The 07xk is a great looking car, the 10months will be a long time to wait.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
The 07xk is a great looking car, the 10months will be a long time to wait.
I know, especially, since the wife has already (after much discussion) given her "okay."

I'm biting my nails here

Old 12-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I know, especially, since the wife has already (after much discussion) given her "okay."
I laughed my **** off when I read that! Why? Because that was me about a month ago! In my case though after she said OK, I didn't look back - mostly out of fear that she would change her mind.

What I did do however, was take my time. I didn't jump at the first S-type I saw and I'm glad I didn't. In doing so, I found a gem of an S-type at a dealer when I went there to look at another. I'm glad I was patient. I don't know if I could be 10 month patient though!

I'm sure you'll find a beaut' of an XK and it will absolutely be worth every penny!

Happy hunting!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Default Spitfire...

My sister owned an S Type (same color as yours but a couple of years older) until she traded it in on a Ford Expedition. Yes, that's right a TRUCK! She didn't need a truck. Didn't have any kids still living at home; didn't have to haul anything. I am guessing she simply had a moment of intense stupidity.

I loved that S Type though, and driving my sister's Jag only helped to cement my plan to acquire my own. I am looking at acquistion occuring around October of 2010. The countdown starts today.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Neener, neener.....I've got an S-Type and a Ford Expedition! Have to have the truck to haul the dogs (I breed, raise, show, and field train retrievers.) around.

Best of both worlds.<s>

Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hahahahha! I traded in my Toyota Tundra for my Jag

My other "ride" is a Toyota Sienna - the grocery getter! Mind you, the Sienna can hold an entire 4x8 sheet of plywood and keep it out of the weather. My 6' box on my tundra couldn't even do that - lol!

Rob

Old 12-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

So is "Toller" your screenname code for Duck Tolling Retriever?

We've had Gordon Setters since 1984. We also have a retired racing Greyhound who refuses to keep his coat on outside even in 25-degree weather - he's a hoss. And two weeks ago my wife's 3-year-old English Cocker Spaniel won the last Major he needed to finish his conformation championship....

Last edited by Jon89; 12-28-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Toller
Neener, neener.....I've got an S-Type and a Ford Expedition! Have to have the truck to haul the dogs (I breed, raise, show, and field train retrievers.) around.

Best of both worlds.<s>
Toller,

I did'nt mean to put down owning a truck. In fact, I have an old Dodge Ram I use to haul stuff around my place in South Carolina and my wife drives a Land Rover LR3. My plan is once I get my hands on the Jag, I will be looking forward to opening my garage door and seeing my two british vehicles highly shined and poised side by side. I may celebrate with a pint of Guiness and some kippers. I just wish I knew what a "kipper" was.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got to say, I've owned many cars and a handful of european cars. This x type is the best thing ever. Ever see that commercial that mentions something about 'confidence inspiring'? They must have driven an X lately. Simply awesome, even in weather most people are affraid to drive in.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome , I hope you would be happy with your Jag

Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the site stillwaters....good to have you with us
Feel free to visit and ask as many queations as you like until you get the car you always should've had
All the best

Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
Is this beast nearly as cool a car as I my dreams have visioned it to be?
Nah, it's MUCH cooler than your dreams. I hesitated for years having grown up through the 'difficult' years for Jaguar and couldn't be happier with my decision to get one. I'd like to add a second if and when the right one comes up.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:15 AM

All,

Thanks so much for the hospitality! Yes, I have been bitten fully by the "Gotta get one" bug. I now spend my nights cruising places like cars.com, autotrader.com, and of course ebay, looking, looking, looking...

I think I have memorized every option, color, and configuration. I even find myself wondering if I just may be getting a bit obsessed?...

Old 12-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more time I spend with my car the more I lobe it. Going on a 1600 mile round trip with it through snow ice and rain really helped me bond with my car and has put the 'straw on the camels back' in deciding to keep it around for a while

Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Default About the XK...

As I continue researching the 2007-09 XK, I would like to know what systemic problems this car may have. I have done quite a bit of searching around this website and others and to this point can't find any particular issues unique to this very beautiful car.

Maybe I haven't looked in the right places, but if there ARE any "show stoppers" out there, I sure would like to know what they are before I lay down tens of thousands of my hard earned $$$. Can anyone tell me what I may have possibly missed? I truly LOVE this model and am counting pennies every day until I have enough to own my very own convertible Cat. I just need to get whatever info up front that I can acquire... Thanks in advance...

Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Glove box sensor problems, sunroof glitches...that's about it that I've heard of. They're solid, even the convertible system has been improved over the 06's, so no busted lines hopefully.

They've only been out there for a couple years, so more could happen, just stay subscrived to the 07 XK section, if problems arise, the owners will find this forum and start making statements. A lack of traffic = little issues.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 AM

I am having a bit of trouble finding things on the forum. Can anyone provide me a link to the "07 XK section?"

Quick Reply: New Wanna-be Jag owner