New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New from Woodland, California

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from Woodland, California

Hello, I am a little late in posting this introduction. This is the first time I have ever participated in an internet forum and have a little learning to do about etiquette and navigating the site. Please bear with me.

When I found the site, I went straight to threads and got some very useful information about heater problems I am having with my XJ8. I am just now doing the introduction part of joining. This site is great!

Until 2 days ago, I had 3 Jaguars, a 1999 carnival red XJ8, a 2000 carnival red XJ8 and a 1958 XK150 fixed head coupe. The 150 is nearing completion of a complete, 5-year, frame-off restoration. I have done most of the work, myself, except for the engine re-build and the body and paint. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this.

I now have only 2 Jaguars. The 2000 XJ8 sat in my garage for 2 years after it went into limp mode in 2008 and the local Jaguar dealer confirmed an internal failure in the transmission. Estimate for the repair was $7,000. I simply gave up any hope of repairing it economically, did not need it and donated it to local public radio station. Hated to see it go, but I was spread too thin.

I absolutely love my remaining XJ8 (although it is having a heater issue right now, which brought me to this forum). I am amazed at the number of compliments I get on it. For an 11-year-old car, I think it is a real testament to Jaguar styling. I am not one who believes the XJ8 styling was stodgy. I feel Jaguar is getting away from its tradition of elegance and grace opting instead for "muscley" intimidating looks. I think its new line-up of XJ, XF and XK blend in so much with other late-model Japanese, German and American cars that it will ultimately spell the end of the marque. They may be impressive in many ways, but I don't think any new XJ owners are going to be stopped and told "What a pretty car!" Just my opinion.

My family and I have had several Jaguars. My father had a fabulous Mark IX (I still love watching one being driven around San Francisco in Hithcock's "Vertigo.") and later a 4.2G (definitely not Jaguar's finest styling effort). My first car was a 1953 fhc XK120 that I bought in 1965 out of a junk yard in Stockton, California for $300. The car was complete and in running condotion, with a good body, but it wouldn't start. The owner had no idea what was wrong and had wheeled it into the yard as junk. The only problem was a clogged fuel filter. I cleaned the filter and was up and running. Later, I overhauled the engine, painted and re-upholtered the car (very low-end but acceptable) and drove it through college and and law school. Then, after all that education, I made the brilliant move of selling it in 1972 for $1,250. A very big mistake, which I have since come to deeply regret. If anyone has any information about a 1953 gun-metal gray FHC XK120 with black interior purchased around 1972 for $1,250 in Woodland, California, I would love to know what became of it.

Attending some auctions, seeing XK's and XKE's going across the block at incredible prices and having a friend purchase an XK150 dhc for $110,000 hooked me again after a 35-year hiatus and I took the plunge in 2006 on the XK150. I couldn't afford a restored version, but this car was a perfect restoration subject--complete body with no rust but in need of much mecahnical and cosmetic work.

It is chassis number S834796, was dispatched from the factory in December 1957 and first sold in January 1958. It apparently lived all of its life in the San Francisco/San Jose area.

The car is going to be a "driver" and I have made many upgrades that are not original but are sympathetic, such as, a new 5-speed transmission, 3 dual-throat (45 DCOE) Webers ( a very sexy-looking and sounding child-hood-dream, but admittedly completely unnecessary), new wire wheels slightly (1/2") wider than original (instead of the undersized XKE wheels that came with it), new radial tires, new more-efficient radiator, electric radiator fan, upgraded starter motor, "Genernator" replacement for original generator (this is exact look-alike of original generator but is in fact an alternatior inside generator casing), switched polarity to negative ground, upgraded vibration damper, higher compression ratio, slightly more aggressive cams, stanless steel exhaust headers and dual exhaust system and sound sytem. The list goes on.

I replaced anything that was conceivably in doubt, right down to the torsion bars. I have replaced all rubber, bushings, grommets and wiring harness. I also changed the color from cream exterior with red interior to British Racing Green exterior with Biscuit interior.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to know about putting Webers on a "B-type" head, let me know. Mainifolds for the "stright port" head are easy to find, but not the B-type. However, there is a manifold for it, and it can be done.

It has been a lot of fun and a long time coming. I have learned a lot. I have a pretty good library on XK150 restoration and a fair amount of practical experience if anyone needs help. But nothing about the 150 restoration prepared me for the simplest problem on the XJ8--except for the price of parts. To maintain one of these cars, you don't need a mechanic--you need an electrician and a LOT of money. Even replacing a head light lens, is a major, major deal. And it irks me that Jaguar does not let any technical information about its later model cars into the public domain until they become antiques. Which bought me to this forum. I am looking for basic information about keeping my remaining XJ8 running without breaking the bank!

I am not actually "car-crazy" but I do admit to being "Jaguar crazy."

One of the high points in my life was getting a ride through special arrangements in a C-Type ( a real one--not a replica) that was going up for auction at Goodings at Pebble Beach a few years ago. The driver took the car up to 100 mph. To me, it is the most beautiful, sexy racing car ever built and truly worth the price for the 53 still in existance. The one I rode in failed to reach the reserve and did not sell after the bidding went to around $2 Million. I was so struck by the whole mystique of the C-type that I considered building a replica and did a lot of research. I ultimately gave up the idea as impractical for a number of reasons (including registration issues in California) and settled on the XK150 fhc as being the most economical way of getting into an XK. The prices on them remain lower than the other models.

If anyone needs 5 XKE wire wheels in excellent condition with 4 nearly new radial tires (5th is pretty bare), let me know.

I will post pictures if I ever learn how to do it. I am definitley not computer literate.

Last edited by rmill; 12-04-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: factual mistake
Old 12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard rmill, truly great to have an obvious real lover / enthusuiast such as you here with us!

One of the best intro's with plenty of info I've seen in a while....only thing missing is the pics, but we'll help you to post them up

Please check out the Jaguar forums help n suggestion centre - there are a few threads with a "how to" post pics that really make it very easy. If you still have issues after that either ask myself or one of the mods and we'll be glad to help!

I've upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view all the sites features.........Hope yopu enjoy the forum
If you have pics please feel free to post em on up asap and share with us

Old 12-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Welcome, nice to hail such Jaguar Owners , I am sure you will make good friends with our members
Enjoy

Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum rmill, a great intro to be sure. we must have some pics of your restoration project.

Please.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Received 6,323 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Welcome rmill,

A great intro and a peek into a real Jag lovers history, at the risk of sounding like an echo, where are the pics?

Old 12-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures from rmill in Woodland, California

This project was not documented regularly. I have gathered what photos I could find and took a few more today. The first photo shows the car in its condition when I bought it in March 2006. It looked pretty good from the exterior, but there was extensive body damage, the interior was unusable except for the seat frames, and the engine was inoperable.

Attached Thumbnails New from Woodland, California-buds-car.jpg   New from Woodland, California-jag-xk150-026.jpg   New from Woodland, California-jag-xk150-028.jpg   New from Woodland, California-picture-002.jpg   New from Woodland, California-sept-2010-020.jpg  

New from Woodland, California-sept-2010-031.jpg   New from Woodland, California-img_1996.jpg   New from Woodland, California-img_1999.jpg   New from Woodland, California-img_2001.jpg   New from Woodland, California-img_2002.jpg  

New from Woodland, California-img_2008.jpg   New from Woodland, California-img_1991.jpg  

Last edited by JimC64; 12-13-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: To better show pictures!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  19.3 KB

Wow, looks fantastic!!...great job

The following users liked this post:
rmill (12-13-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts