New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New XK8 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 07:21 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New XK8 Owner

Hi there! I recently acquired my first Jag, a 'new' 2000 XK8 convertible. Yes, 24 years old but practically new, as it had less than 8K miles on it since new.
Been enjoying it for a few months and tinkering with the navigation unit - which is why I've joined here to share details on something special later.

My background:
Old geezer car nut that's been working on cars for more than 50 years.

The car:
I bought this car at auction on Bringatrailer last October, flew in, and drove it home. When I I showed up to take the car I confirmed that it was beautiful in every way! Except one. The seller informed me, "Oh by the way, it has a check engine light for running rich (that I knew about but conveniently neglected to disclose in the auction listing). But you can reset the light with this here cheap code reader that I'll send with you..."

The 800 mile drive home had the car experience several instances of switching to "reduced performance" mode. It ran decently most of the time but had a couple instances of stumbling, and I had to repeatedly reset the computer with the cheap code reader. But I made it.

Long story that I'm going to share because it might be useful to someone:
First task at home was to do a proper diagnosis of the problem using appropriate test equipment. I quickly discovered that the rich condition was caused by sky-high fuel pressure. A series of diagnostic steps led to the conclusion that the return line at the fuel tank was absolutely blocked, causing the pressure regulator to be unable to function. I got it on the lift and made a tool to reach in and release the return line quick-disconnect at the tank. With the line free I confirmed that the line was clear from end to end and that the return was blocked internally in the tank. I was dreading the possibility of having to remove the fuel tank to clear the blockage. But after some internet sleuthing I was able to get a good idea of the internal return line construction and I came up with a way to attempt to clear the blockage with no further disassembly.

Anyone that has worked on these tanks know that the fuel fittings are darn near impossible to get to as they are located in a location thoroughly obstructed by the undercarriage. My scheme was to fit a 36" length of 1/16 stainless welding rod into the chuck of a cordless drill to use as a roto-rooter. I flattened the end of the welding rod with a hammer to give it a bit of a scraper profile. It was long enough to reach to the tank through the small gaps in the undercarriage. Then I fed that into the tank return fitting whilst spinning it with the drill. The wire was flexible enough to snake around the curves of the internal hard line but stiff enough to keep spinning. After going in several inches it came to a halt against something firm. I knew from images of the inside of the tank that this line just ends at a downward angle near the bottom of the tank, so I pressed on with the drill, not worried that any harm could be done. After a brief pause the wire pushed on through and broke free. The blockage was very small! I ran that in and out a few times for good measure, then reconnected the fuel return pipe. Took it down off the lift, connected a fuel pressure gauge, started it. That did the trick! I watched the fuel pressure instantly begin lowering as it ran, getting down to where it should be after a few minutes Evidently there was some remaining blockage that further cleared itself once fuel was able to wash through.

The car has run fantastically ever since then with absolutely no problems. I can only imagine that somehow something had dried up in the bottom of the tank after sitting for 20-years in storage. The return line terminates near the lowest point in the tank. Dried up residual fuel maybe? Nothing to do after that but catch up on some maintenance to refresh all the 24 year old fluids and filters. Done and done.

So what does one do with a perfect Jaguar XK8 that needs no repairs? Oh yeah, that goofy useless navigation system...

Cheers!

Old 03-05-2024, 03:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Geraldius
..... My background: Old geezer car nut that's been working on cars for more than 50 years......
Welcome to the forums Geraldius,

We have several members who choose not to give their full date of birth when registering (myself included) but always make the year correct. The year 2000 in your profile doesn't square with this.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/ to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the US Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...r-atlantic-66/ to find other members in your region.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 03-05-2024, 03:41 AM
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 03-05-2024, 03:58 AM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Received 4,281 Likes on 3,701 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 03-05-2024, 07:33 AM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Geraldius,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-05-2024, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,218 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Hello, Gerald,
I *Love* your story! This is well and truly the Voice of Deep Experience and Pragmatism ("it doesn't work now, so what do I have to lose?")!
And, ya just can't argue with Success!

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')