New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New XK8 owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default New XK8 owner

My intro is a little belated. The folks over on the XK8 sub-forum have already helped me through the purchase process....

I bought my beautiful 2006 black Victory Edition XK8 a week ago. Magnificent car!!!

I am a car guy. I am 61 years old and have loved great cars since I was 13 years old reading about them in Car & Driver and Road & Track.

This is my second Jaguar. My first was actually my first car. I did not have a car in high school. My Dad, knowing of my love of cars told me if I got good grades in college, he would give me a car. That was all the motivation I needed. After my first quarter (with good grades) I got my Mom's 1962 Jaguar 3.8 Liter Mk II. Great car.

Since then - no more Jags, but many more great cars. I am a sports car guy. I have had lots of English stuff. Spitfire, Lotus Europa John Player Special, Superformance Shelby 427 Cobra (alright, that's a stretch).

The Jaguar dealer is around the corner from our house in Atlanta (Hennessy Jaguar). I was stopped at the light in my Miata. The black XK8 was parked at the corner of their lot, so I got a good look at it as I waited for the light. I thought it was drop dead gorgeous - as beautiful a car as I have ever seen. I wondered how much they wanted for the car. I figured it was much more $ than I would spend. When I got home I checked it out on their web site. It was much less than I figured. I guess these things depreciate faster than I thought. All to the good of the used car buyer (me). I showed the website to my wife. She has driven with me in my beloved cramped, noisy sports cars with good humor over the years. When she saw this she was a bit surprised that I would go for it. She encouraged me to check it out. I took it for a test drive. Brought it to the house for her to check out. She loved it. So did I.

So I got it and I love it!!

My only concerns are all the great technology and features. I have never had a car with all this. My goodness!! Windshield wipers that come on automatically!! Lights too. Just set the temperature and it does the rest. Top that goes down with a push of a button. I hope all this stuff works and does not cause me grief. It all works now. My concerns are probably a none issue, but after owning a series of cars with little technology, this is quite something. I do admit I quite like all of it. Seat warmers - hooray!!

Anyway, good to be aboard!!

Jack
2006 XK8 Victory Edition

Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Hello, nice intro , it's a good feeling to have such members
I like all the gadgets in cars even though some of them are not necessary lol

Old 12-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 6,336 Likes on 5,521 Posts

Welcome to the forum Blkcat,

Great intro, I feel like I know you already, I'm sure you will continue to enjoy your XK.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the site blkcat, good to have you here

Thanks for a really great intro full of info about you, your cars and how you came by your recent cat.....only thing missing is a pic or two which maybe you'll rectify?

There's some really excellent members here with knowledge as well as top techs who chime in too.....unlikely you'll be stuck for help I would have thought

Upgraded to full forum access so you can better view the sites features....check it out!

all the best

Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Welcome to the forum.