New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New XK8 owner in L.A.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New XK8 owner in L.A.

Hey!!

Really excited to join the forum after lurking for months as I prepared the greatest purchase of my life!

I'm about 3.5 weeks into owning a 2003 XK8 4.2L w/ 112K miles. Bought it off craigslist from private seller. Had Richard at RMB look it over and give a thumbs up, so I pulled the trigger.

Not even 5 minutes after handing over the cash and driving off, I noticed a glistening green substance above me on the overhead console. I immediately thought, "I've made a huge mistake." Had it checked for leaking hydraulics, but no problems were found, so it was either "sweating" or a previous owner had taken a green shower for me!

A few days later, the engine light came on and it began idling roughly. For the second time, I thought, "I've made a huge mistake." Bought an OBDii blue tooth reader for my phone and found two misfire codes. Took it in and because it was neighboring cylinders, the mechanic said it might be the head gasket. First heartattack that day.

Then I discovered here on the forums that 2003 cylinders had staggered numbers, so they weren't neighboring. Called the mechanic and he proceeded to inform me that may be so, but I now had 20 codes and he thought my cat converter was busted. Heartattack #2.

Ended up needing 1 new ignition coil ($120 German model -- too pricey?) and a patched up vacuum hose, but he only charged me for 2 hours for a total of $300, so it was the best bad news I could get.

The next day, it drove better than ever... until the engine light came back. For the third time I thought, "I've made a huge mistake." RMB said it may just be a dirty mass air flow sensor, so instead of taking it in, I looked up here how to clean it, and for $8, did it myself.

It's now been over a week and no engine light!!!

But then this morning the engine coolant low indicator just came on...

Old 03-31-2015, 01:07 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum howdoyousayjaguar,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Less than a month - you appear to be working through all the usual trouble spots at very high speed!

Be very careful with any risk of overheating the V8 - it's an engine killer. Chances are you've got a faulty coolant level sensor but read up on water pumps and sticking thermostats.

It sounds like you've already found your way to the XK8/XKR tech forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the USA Western Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/western-us-ak-ca-nv-ut-hi-wa-id-38/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
howdoyousayjaguar (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 03-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Default Thanks

GGG Thanks for the heads up about overheating. I took a look at the reservoir and it's a finger below the neck. Not sure if the system is that sensitive.

I'm still looking for a definitive answer to my embarrassing question: Is antifreeze the same as coolant? There's a bottle of antifreeze left from the previous owner but I'm not sure if that will satisfy the low coolant light.

I'll keep scouring the forum for answers...

Old 03-31-2015, 02:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

The system is sensitive to low coolant - correct level is to the base of the filler neck. Sticking sensors are a regular issue.

Antifreeze = coolant. Use a 50/50 mixture coolant to (preferably distilled) water for topping up.

Graham

Old 03-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums howdoyousayjaguar,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 04-01-2015, 05:11 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 04-01-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
The system is sensitive to low coolant - correct level is to the base of the filler neck. Sticking sensors are a regular issue.

Antifreeze = coolant. Use a 50/50 mixture coolant to (preferably distilled) water for topping up.

Graham
Just shined a light into the reservoir and it was actually low. Filled it up and no more warning light. Crossing fingers that that was the only issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:10 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 127 Likes on 123 Posts

howdoyousayjaguar, hello and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you joined us. Lots of very informed members on here with a wealth of information, so you've come to the right place! You'll find just about anything you might have questions about there.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Thanks!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Welcome howdoyousayjaguar,
Your post made me laugh, not at your issues but at the fear you made a huge mistake. I think most of us here have gone through the "oh my god what have I done?" phase of ownership. Like you the first few months of owner ship were quite eventful for me. It took me 6 months to get all the nagging little issues that the PO had either neglected or ignored before I truly trusted my Jag. As with any 10+ year old car hoses, belts, etc, etc... may be worn or near failure. I suffered them all. But two years in I still love my Jaguar and am not afraid of 2000 mile journeys (3 last summer) Driving the jag is better than therapy, it always puts a smile on my face. I hope you have the same experience.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fulton
Welcome howdoyousayjaguar,
Your post made me laugh, not at your issues but at the fear you made a huge mistake. I think most of us here have gone through the "oh my god what have I done?" phase of ownership. Like you the first few months of owner ship were quite eventful for me. It took me 6 months to get all the nagging little issues that the PO had either neglected or ignored before I truly trusted my Jag. As with any 10+ year old car hoses, belts, etc, etc... may be worn or near failure. I suffered them all. But two years in I still love my Jaguar and am not afraid of 2000 mile journeys (3 last summer) Driving the jag is better than therapy, it always puts a smile on my face. I hope you have the same experience.
the perfect way of describing experience of driving the xk 8. when its running right it truly is like driving a work of art and puts a huge smile on my face as well!