New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New XK8 owner in NOVA

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile New XK8 owner in NOVA

My wife and I recently bought a 2004 XK8 convertible after looking for about four weeks for a car, any car, to replace the Lincoln that was about ready to die. There were multiple fits and starts going through the possible options -- fun to drive, luxury, utility?

An M3? I felt like I had been beat up by the time I got out of the car.

That 650HP Mustang? Woo-hoo! But... man, it was a lot of WORK just to drive it on the street. And it was tire-limited at those power levels; you would never get close to full power without smoking the tires. Bah. I must be getting old...

We went to another dealer to look at a Mustang GT (fun to drive) and Lincoln MKX (luxury, utility). There was also a 2001 XK8 conv on the lot. Wait, you mean an XK is in our price range? I never thought of that... "We've got someone from NY who is interested in it." Right. A few minutes later, "It's no longer available -- he just put a deposit on it."

The next day, this is it, we HAVE to get a car. On the list are a Mustang GT conv and Acura TL. And what is this? A local dealer just listed a 2004 XK8 conv!

First, the XK. Wow. Gorgeous. Incredible condition. Low miles. The engine bay is so clean you could eat off it. Now I remember how much I love driving convertibles. But it's "impractical." *sigh*

So, we go to the other dealer and try the Mustang. I love driving convertibles. Did I mention that, yet? But after the Jag it was ... boring.

So, the Acura it is. Very nice car, luxurious, all the bells and whistles. So we start the negotiating (my wife's favorite part, she loves to haggle). "We're ready to by a car right now. This is what we'll pay. Write up the papers and we will be on our way." "I'll have to talk to my manager." Sure, go ahead, we know the drill. He came back, "This is what he will accept." Uh, that's the same price as before. "He says he can't lose money on the car." Here's a news flash: it's been sitting on your lot for 3 MONTHS! You've already lost money on the car. He wouldn't budge. Fine. "OK, we are going to the other dealer now because we are going to buy a car tonight."

We go to the Jag dealer and the XK is still there. Yay! One more test drive, y'know, just to make sure. I think I'm in love. So we start the negotiating. "We're ready to by a car right now. This is what we'll pay. Write up the papers and we will be on our way." "I'll have to talk to my manager." Sure, go ahead, we know the drill. He came back, "This is what he will accept." Kind of between what we asked and their posted price. "But, there is someone flying down from CT tomorrow to look at the car." Oh, c'mon, that line again? But I'm thinking, the price is good and it happened the day before with the '01 XK, so let's get it.

I never in my wildest dreams imagined that I would be able to get what I consider to be one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

So the next day I looked up "jaguar forums" and found this site. Cool. I signed up and started browsing to see what's what when I came upon this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...otrader-51732/

In the middle of the thread is:

Originally Posted by thefixer
If you live in a part of the country where there aren't many of these cars, it can get real difficult - any delay on a good car and you loose it...

Today I was planning to fly to VA to view (and probably buy) a car, only listed on Monday. This time the dealer was good - called me yesterday to tell me the car was sold, but now it's back to oodle and cars.com...

In fairness, this dealer had asked me to put down $1000 'to hold the car' - but the form he sent me for the cc details just indicated it was a 'deposit'. Verbally he indicated that 'of course it was refundable if I decided not to buy' - but I don't trust that unless it says it on the form.
-Steve
THAT'S THE GUY! THEY WERE TELLING THE TRUTH!!!!

We are still giddy about owning the car. For example, we went to the grocery store to pick up some stuff. When I drove the car back to the loading area to put the groceries in the trunk, my wife just stood there.

Me: Honey, aren't you going to bring the cart over here so I can unload it?
Her: [Breaking out of a trance] Oh, sorry! I was just staring at the car.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,904 Likes on 3,208 Posts

Ed, welcome to the Forums. I think you will like us here. So, grab a cup of Joe, sit back and learn about your vehicle. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and we are willing to help out where we can.

I am south of you down in the southern tip of MD. So, keep an eye out for things going on. I want to get a BBQ or something of the like to happen this summer so we can put names with faces and get to look at a bunch of Jags all in 1 spot.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Hi Ed-

Welcome neighbor !!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Bunch of Jags all in one spot? Then you MUST come to Reston Town Center in the fall for the NCJOC concours. Here's some pictures from last year:
Nation's Capital Jaguar Owners Club - 2010 Concours Cars

Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Received 6,321 Likes on 5,508 Posts

Welcome to the forum Ed,

Great intro, it sounds like you were destined to get an XK.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum ED, enjoy your XK. Check out the XK section you will find some great guys over there.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com. I know that you are anxious to get started and we are anxious to meet you and talk about your car. We have a baseline / criteria that must be met before full access can be granted. Please enjoy the forum and be patient once the baseline has been satisfied full access will be granted. Please continue to post and accept my welcome to the forum.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.