New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Newb to the forum and the Jag

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newb to the forum and the Jag

Hello from Northwest Arkansas,

When I was a kid my friend and I played in his parents matching his and hers E types that sat and rotted in their backyard. I've always wanted a Jag and never could bring myself to get one. Now after and 6 brand new BMW's, I've decided that I need to get something to help me flex my mechanical muscle before i lose it Tired of all that free maintenance

I had a '73 Chevelle 350 when I was a kid and a little SAAB many years ago so I do have some mechanical skills, however limited.

I did quite a bit of research, including within this forum (great resource) and finally bit the bullet.

Picked up a '92 Facelift XJS a couple of weeks ago with 40K original miles. The car looks and runs great... well, it runs great sometimes. The engine is strong but I've had quite a few problems that I've already fixed. Got to really experience some of the issues when I drove the car 70 miles home.

1-Break light warning was on and I was assuming it was due to the fact that the brake lights didn't work... nope! half way home I could smell the brakes burning which was very unnerving due to problem #3. When I got home I buzzed through the service records (looks like a complete set to me) and found that the park break was stuck on before and the mechanics notes told me how to repair that... fixed.
2-Brake lights didn't work. Went through the fuses and found that the brake light fuse was one slot over (power roof, which the car doesn't have). No problem but I'm guessing the previous owner screwed that one up in his years of ownership. Likely he was trying to repair item #1 and thought it was fuse before he returned it to the wrong slot.
3- As I went around corners at high speed, fuel was projectile vomiting from the fuel cap. Stopped at the AZ on the way home and fixed that. I'd rather have an original cap but this will do for now.
4- Car ran rough at idle when I was at stop lights when warm. Didn't seem to happen when the car was in park. found B-bank is/was missing. Found that all the wires in the V have biodegraded I'll have to fix that but playing with one of the injector wires I found that the miss went away. Obviously one of my injectors was finding ground.

A few (many) other problems but thought I'd say hi. I bought a few thousand dollars in parts and will be posting on many of these things as I go. Pictures, rants, aimless meanderings... whatever. I'm quite confident that I will be tapping from all this wisdom and maybe even provide some of my own.

Wish me luck and thanks for already being a resource!

Old 10-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 10-27-2014, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,348 Likes on 5,432 Posts

Did you not say you needed something to help you to flex your Mechanical Muscle!
Did you not say you were tired of Maintenance Free!
Be careful what you wish for as you may have just got it!

WOW!! to say the least; jumping from No Maintenance to a 22 year old V12 with "issues"! And after all your research you still bought it?

You'll fit right in with our XJ-S section. Those guys are gluttons for punishment too.
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 10-27-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum natet,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

It sounds like you may have already found your way to the tech section but if not, follow this link XJS - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XJS forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the USA Western Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/western-us-ak-ca-nv-ut-hi-wa-id-38/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums natet,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 10-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Did you not say you needed something to help you to flex your Mechanical Muscle!
Did you not say you were tired of Maintenance Free!
Be careful what you wish for as you may have just got it!

WOW!! to say the least; jumping from No Maintenance to a 22 year old V12 with "issues"! And after all your research you still bought it?

You'll fit right in with our XJ-S section. Those guys are gluttons for punishment too.
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')
Thanks for the welcome! I was only kidding about missing car maintenance... It's why I keep buying BMW's. I've just always wanted to luxuriate in the sweet lines of a classic Jag. Nothing looks cooler than a classic Jag and apparently there is a price to look cool

Thanks for the welcome.

To all, I will be posting a list of things I'm working on and will try to document my journey as much as I remember... I have a list of things to do and will put that in the appropriate forum shortly.

many warm regards!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,348 Likes on 5,432 Posts

Originally Posted by natet
I was only kidding...
So was I.
Nothing looks cooler than a classic Jag and apparently there is a price to look cool
I couldn't agree more!
Thanks for the welcome.
I still think you'll fit Right in with our XJS membership. LOL
(';')

Old 10-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to admit I'm a bit envious I was deciding between a 89 ragtop XJS v-12 ans a 93 coupe 4.0 ( which i got ). The v 12 seemed a bit more maintenance intensive then I wanted working 75 plus hours a week! Good luck with yours sounds like you got what you were looking for though !

Old 10-31-2014, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Welcome to Jaguar Forums

Welcome natet . . . and greetings from a fellow enthusiast in Australia.

We pride ourselves both on the quality of the resources and technical help available here, but also the friendliness that keeps members coming back long after any problems are resolved.

Best wishes,
Ken