New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Newb here - X type stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb here - X type stuck in Park

OK about me? You really care? Ah shucks ... I know just enough about cars to be dangerous! Grew up handing my Dad tools as he rebuilt many a car. I have over hauled a few myself, but those were Mopar and VW. My wife bought a 2004 Jaguar X-Type. Fun to drive, but when she messes up, oh my gosh.

She is messed up.

HELP!?

I have poked around and this sounds like a possible combination of a few issues. Gotta love those combo problems ...

My wife parked her jag in our INCLINED drive way. I doubt she set brake before going into park. Next time she tried to start it up, it would not even try!

I checked battery, appears to have 12 volts ... still no start. No solenoid, no starter action, just funny electronic noises. After she left, I climbed in and tried. SCARY! It was clicking and beeping and moaning and groaning but no start. No lights flashing on outside, yet in cabin it sounds like flashers are on! Blinkers were blinking ...

Figured I would try to bump it and put it into neutral to try and roll down hill. No go! I can NOT get it out of Park!

Took ground off battery, security system did not like that much at all. Was hoping that would disable any electronic lock out. Still stuck in Park.

So there it sits, DEAD and little hope! I can not tow an AWD car I can not get into neutral. I can not put it up on dollies sitting on incline pointing up hill.

Suggestions!? Is there some magical release button or switch?

Lost,
Ralph

Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum Ralph,

Good to have you with us.
Post over on the X Type tech section X-Type - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum Hopefully someone can help.
This is a common early S Type fault, I don't know about the Xs.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Ralph,

Follow Norri's advice and take the question to the X-Type section.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User ID button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Good luck.

Graham

Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi there Ralf and welcome to the forum, good to have you here with us

sorry to hear about your issues with the X type, which is a great car and one of my favourites, the AWD is awesome.

You're not going to get too much help in the new member section, so if you haven't already please duplicate this in the X type section where the DIT gurus will be happy to help I'm sure.
There's a really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun here.....

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features so Jump on in and enjoy the site.................