New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Newbie from NJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie from NJ

Hello all:
After many years since my last British car restoration, I dove back in with one of my all time favorite cars, the XJ6C. I've found this forum by going through the net, trying to find parts and more information on the car.

I'm looking forward to getting down to the business of pulling the car apart, making lists and getting contacts for what needs to be done, with no definite time frame or strict budget (or else I would have never started......)

My car was on a website run by the president of the Southern New England Jaguar Owners Club (kudos to David Brill), who was instrumental in letting me know about the potential pitfalls and continues to be helpful in giving advice.

The Jag was involved in an accident about 25 years ago, repair work was started on it, but due to health circumstances with the original owner, repair was stopped after refitting replacement sheetmetal in primer with the engine still out. As it was in covered storage, any rust is superficial.

Looking forward to getting back on the road.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie from NJ-img_1932.jpg   Newbie from NJ-img_0100.jpg   Newbie from NJ-img_0099.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like it will buff right out. Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:16 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 05-12-2015, 03:04 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Lawmax,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I always liked the coupe but had to settle for the four door XJ6 when it was a current model. They still look great.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/ to the XJ6 Series I. II & III forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

You can also visit the USA North East Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/usa-north-east-me-nh-vt-ma-ri-ct-nj-ny-pa-35/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 05-12-2015, 06:57 AM
Received 10,520 Likes on 6,949 Posts

Welcome.

They are such a cool car, rare as they came, and well worth the effort inmy opinion.

Parts are still around. I got some sill panels a very long time ago from XK Unlimited in San Louis Obispo, and I reckon they still got stuff.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:57 AM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Lawmax,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 05-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to all

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

To ListerUSA, it's ironic that you mentioned that it would "buff right out": one of the first things I did when i got it home was to clean an area on the door and by using a gentle compound, followed by polisher, then wax, I was able to get a section of the door to shine pretty nicely. The trunk however is crazed and the entire car will need to be resprayed.

I'm torn about the vinyl roof. I'm not a fan and from researching I know that it was designed as a work-around given paint flexibility issues of the day. My roof is in fantastic condition (no bubbles, tears or lifting) and given the originality I'll likely let it be, but I'm concerned about blending paint up to that area.

The only major piece that is missing is the front bumper assembly. I've looked through various places online to source a North American spec front bumper assembly with over riders, but have come up with some pretty scant choices. From readings on this forum I know that converting to Euro spec is fraught with difficulty, but am interested in getting advice as to where I could find decent serviceable parts.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 05-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.