New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Newbie from Tennessee engine

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie from Tennessee engine

Greetings to all. I'm an aged human with an equally aged jaguar vanden plas x308 year 2000. Overall we're both in pretty good shape but me jag seems to be experiencing difficulties that are all foreign to me, but I'm hopeful fellow jagers will help pull me through the darker times.

The start of this journey hasn't been a pleasant one. Began with the sudden unexpected passing of my dearest brother this past February 2024. He was in Southern Florida and basically a victim of corporate rent hiked and the 2022 hurricane of late September which displaced him for literally a full year while waiting to return to his condo in Fort Myers. He wasn't a rich man but rather a simple reserved and well respected kinda guy. Never complained ever about anything and now I wish he had so I could've at least tried to help when the stress of his situation got the best of him. Unfortunately that will always remain a with I knew coulkda woulda reminder of the past.

Not even a year earlier, December of 2022, he purchased a 2000 Jaguar Vanden Plas with 93k miles from an elderly couple in Fort Myers Florida. Almost immediately he had his first experience while cleaning his newly acquired car. It had one last full recline mode left in the power seat and he found himself stargazer rather than driver. Well almost a stargazer if the sunroof opened. He tried to repair the seat but never fully accomplished the project and it has become my cross to bear. Yes I ended up with the jag after he'd spent a year moving from place to place waiting for his invite back to his home after repairs were finished. He'd put on just over 6k miles before his received notice he couldn't and wouldn't be returning home as the Wallstreet corporation owners had decided it was a good time to drastically increase the rents which could no longer afford. Twas the beginning of the end for him but not the Jag.

My oldest brotherbook on the out of stare estatel single handedly because thats how he is. Finally after weeks turned into months of him living at my deceased brothers temporary digs he headed back to Knoxville TN for the final 750 mile Florida road trip which those two had taken many or during happier times. It was a sentimental journey til it wasn't. Five hundred miles into trip he learns what plastic timing chain tensioners were. A 3 hour tow later he finds himself at a jag dealership, the only dealership willing to even look at an older jag in Atlanta Georgia. Five days and $5k later he was back on the road bringing the jag to give to me. I couldn't take it after him spending that kinda money on it but he insisted and I accepted.

So now here I am the proud owner of the Jaguar. All I know is the new track record that breaks down to it has cost $1,000 per 100 miles. It is now in my name in my drive with another 50 miles on it but now a new addition to the dash. Yellow light with a new greeting... Gearbox Fault. WHAT THE ##@! ya gotta be kidding me!? Really??

A new Skidpan, replacement tail light assembly and a few coats of wax and a week later here i sit. I'd already had a limp mode scare but I chalked that up to me forgetting I had a Bluetooth scanner still in the port when I was checking the engine light being on which is an unresolved P1467 O2 sensor i was thinking i should save up for as it needs repaired. Anyways I had the yellow light scare AND limp mode scare just 15 miles ago however that resolved itself when i removed the scanner. Or did it? I couldn't tell what the issue was because the message center display only works when it wants to and that appears to be now at night with a Gearbox Fault warning. Oh boy...

I know about the sealed lifetime tranny thing and was actively searching for a place to do the fluid change anyway but now i am sidetracked. Wonder if that light means it needs fluid or time for a change of fluid or worse. Oh my, worse? Can't be. It was driving so well before this.

How's that for an introduction?? Personally I was hoping to do better but thats what i got for now but soon maybe an even better cost per mile record??

Best to all,

Richard

The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (Today)
Old Today, 05:16 AM
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,861 Posts

Welcome aboard Richard…..sorry for your loss.

Old Today, 08:41 AM
Received 6,322 Likes on 5,509 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Psycom,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old Today, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,289 Likes on 5,418 Posts

Hello, Richard,
I'm so sorry for your loss, and all the drama in your life atm.
As for your new Jaguar, we have many members who own that model, are Experts at repairs and maintenance and would be Delighted to help you get it sorted and back on the road, so that all this is but a distant memory.
I wish you well.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB,
(';')

Old Today, 01:08 PM
Received 4,299 Likes on 3,716 Posts

welcome to the forum, sorry for your loss and hope you can get the Jag back on the road so you can enjoy!!!