New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Newby in Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Newby in Oregon

I have recently purchased a 1992 XJ6 with some mechanical problems.
I hope to get some advice from other members to help figure out the most logical steps to correct. I was told by the seller that there was white "smoke" upon start-up for a couple of mornings but car seemed to run OK for those days. Then car was started and taken on the freeway,it ran a short distance billowing more white smoke, then died. It has not started since.
No visible water in oil or oil in water.Exhaust pipes coated with black soot, as if running too rich or poor ignition. I have done a compression test, with #1 cyl at 220 psi;#2,#3,#4,#6 all at 170 psi; #5 at 90 Psi. Looks like a head gasket problem most likely, but I think it should still start, although run poorly.When removing the gas filler cap after trying to start, it sprays gas and air OUT under pressure (not whooshing In). I would like to Identify whatever else is going on prior to removing/replacing head gasket.
Car is in beautiful shape, has 148,000 miles. I have just replaced coil, but not the external condensor/capacitor. Any thoughts on next steps?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi there shelby, welcome to the site

Good to have you here on one of the friendliest forums around......great members and top techs reside here.....there's usually a few laughs too, so its all good.

As for your issues? Please post these up under a separate post to get the best results possible in the correct section!

Full forum access has been granted manually so you can enjoy all the sites features!

Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the formum from Keizer, Oregon. This is a great site, I check it everyday for new posts and have received so much helpful information. Love my 03 S type.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum Shelby, check out the XJ40 section and bizarrely (you will appreciate bizarrely when you read the thread) the non jaguar sections for Retromotors Jagulet thread, fuel ejection as described has come up before.

Just set yourself down with a couple of cold ones before you wade in.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, I hope you get it fixed out soon

Old 11-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to the sight! Oregon is a great state!! Born and raised!

A engine can not compress water like it can fuel and can bend the valves in the cylinder or cylinders effected. It will stop a engine from running once it becomes to great of cylinder pressure. Hydrolock it what it is called.
White smoke is the classic sign of a head gasket going,as it sounds like you know. It is water entering your cylinder or cylinders causing a white smoke out the exhaust pipe. In time the thick white smoke can overcome the car. Once your pull the head or heads look at the cylinder head gasket like a road map for any damage. The head or block may also need resurfaced. Or you may have a crack in the head. A machine shop will check everything out for you. And able to do what head work is needed. Sounds like you are able to remove them and reinstall them yourself?
You can remove the spark plug on that low compression cylinder or cylinders and see if you get the same results. As far as the fuel spitting out the filler cap when the filler cap is removed. While trying to start the engine. The engine may start and run on the remaining cylinders once the spark plug has been removed on the low comp. cylinder.Of course it will run rough. It will also save you from bending any valves if they have not already been damaged in that cylinder.
Keep us us to date on your findings and again welcome to the sight!!
I am kinda new here as well and may be in trouble for giving a answer here?
Oh well... helping a fellow Oregonian!

Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Someone say "OR-E-GONE????"

Welcome man!!!

good luck with your car.

sounds like you might be having multiple problems.

if I knew more about these cars in specific, I'd say head gasket, ignition, fuel/ vapor return (not sure how complicated the emissions are on your car, but Toyota Cressida's have a similar issue when they have EVAP problems in their emission system (its a venting issue, but usually causes the engine to run lean

maybe your fuel system isnt able to vent excess pressure, causing a injector or two to stuck open & flood.

take a close look at your fuel system.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about in relativity to jaguars...

Old 11-24-2010, 01:07 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Hello from Eugene! Where in Orygun are you?

Old 11-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to all for the many greetings. I have posted updates in the XJ40 forum.
Tried your tip hemitwist, removed the wire to #5 first, then tried starting after removing plug, but still wont start.
I will continue updates.