New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Newish to me X-type

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newish to me X-type

I picked up a platinum silver metallic 04 X-type with 68k miles, navigation, reverse sensors in really nice shape for a really good deal a few months back. I did some research on this and other boards, and decided to skip over the 02-03 model.

I am using the vehicle as a commuter vehicle to work, so far I really like it and no issues other than a bit more drivetrain noise than I would like. The car is comfortable, rides nice, has pretty good power and despite its fairly small size can tote 4 people around fine. I really didnt think of it as a big deal, but its funny how many people say "wow a jag"

Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM

Their awesome machines ...I love my x-type and got all the same reactions from friends and family ....there's something very prestigious about the leaping hood ornament

Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com. I know that you are anxious to get started and we are anxious to meet you and talk about your car. We have a baseline / criteria that must be met before full access can be granted. Please enjoy the forum and be patient once the baseline has been satisfied full access will be granted. Please continue to post and accept my welcome to the forum.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

hey exjag. welcome.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Glad to have you with us.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Default Have it check out!

Originally Posted by ezjag
so far I really like it and no issues other than a bit more drivetrain noise than I would like.
With that noise, I would recommend you have the transfer case checked out before too long. I found the Jaguar Forum while investigating why the transfer case on my '05 3.0L X-Type broke apart - seems to be more common than one would hope?

Originally Posted by ezjag
I really didnt think of it as a big deal, but its funny how many people say "wow a jag"
Ditto. It's a nice car and all...

Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Not sure why my signature is not showing up, I added it twice already. Maybe it will show now.

On the transfer case/drivetrain noise -- I believe it is the balancing of the propshaft and not the transfer case, as it is more like a low harmonic resonance than anything else. Either way I plan on getting it addressed shortly.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 AM

Good luck with yours. I hope you're right about the noise. I have AAA coming to take mine to the Jaguar dealer as we speak. (

Old 07-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by pkjag
Good luck with yours. I hope you're right about the noise. I have AAA coming to take mine to the Jaguar dealer as we speak. (
What kind of noise/symptoms did yours have before breaking?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:07 PM

Mine gave no notice. One day I was driving home and I noticed a discomforting grinding sound upon a sharp right turn. I pulled over to see if something got caught under the car, but there was nothing there. If I drove the car straight, no noise. Turns yielded a grinding sound, so I figured it must be the driver side CV axle (based on the location of the noise). I swapped out the CV axles (I have a thing about doing things symmetrically), but when I took the car for a quick spin, I noticed a different, more ominous grinding noise. When I crawled under the car, I finally saw a hole the size of a dime on one side of the transfer case, and the other side of the transfer case was completely split open! Doh!! Not a job I was gonna do myself when I have a perfectly good warranty just for such occasions!