New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Noob in Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

tough choice, there's reasons for and against letting it go, i can see your dilemma. Any chance you have family or a friend that can garage it for you? New house not a double garage?

Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

That's really though decision ,Welcome

Old 12-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome, personally I would try to get out of the car now. Why, because at the moment you have not spent any money on it, so even if you do have to sell it for a small loss, this would likely be covered by the storage expenses over the 'next two years plus'.

Also it would appear that you will not be starting the restoration until the car is at least 23 years old. You say that the car has recently spent a few months outside in a yard, from your and it's location it looks like you have a good climate, but moisture will still have got in 'it's not rusted, but the paint is a little shot', so unless you are going to store it in a professionally climate controlled environment over the next 2-3 years it will rust.

I don't have any idea how it works in the US Military, but at the end of this deployment, does the possibility of another tour exist, because you sound as though, this is really what you want to be doing and so it could be even longer before your resto' begins.

Mind you, could be that the bloke who was going to restore it will have been released by then, and may be looking for a decent job.

All the very best with your deployment.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have to agree with Translator. Better to give it up now, and look for another in the future, than come home a couple of years from now and find a smelly, rat-infested, rust bucket that you won't EVER be able to do anything with. While I can DEFINITELY empathize on your "love at first Jag" feeling, the timing is off, sadly.

Good luck overseas!!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Post up your story in the XJS Forum and also in the For Sale section. You will get more hits from people into your car model, than here, which is basically just the welcome section of the Forum.

Do not forget to include location, someone just might be able to help you.

Good luck,

Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also try the CraigsList.com in your area.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

OK, sorry for not posting sooner. I'm going to be the one that tries to talk you out of selling it... But after asking one question. Did you get it because you are a car guy and really wanted an XJS, or did you get it because you want to be seen driving a Jaaagggg. If it is choice number two this project combined with the "waiting" period will just end up frustrating you. If your answer is the first statement, keep it and avoid the regret. I say this because I have a list of cars at my young age of 43 that I wish I had never gotten rid of. The list does not include cars that I needed to sell in order to get my next daily driver. These are cars that needed some work but were paid for and the drivers that replaced them were already purchased. Here is the list: 1978 Chevy Caprice coupe (the rare one with the fastback rear window), 1978 Chevy Camaro (sport coupe, copper color, with a V8), 1977 Chevy Monte Carlo (real rare red with tan custom interior with reclining seats), and lastly a 1981 Monte Carlo (plain jane coupe but super super mint). The 81 really breaks my heart because I sold it to a guy that worked at the towing shop next to where I worked and I saw it there two months later, totaled! So, if it is the car you've always wanted, find a place to keep it, then fix it up when you get back. The XJS was a fairly popular car but like all Jaguars they were produced in fairly limited numbers. It's not like looking for say a Mustang. Now that you have it, if you really wanted it, hold on to it and don't end up with automotive regrets.

Also, welcome to the forums and thank you so much for your service to our country!

Old 12-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Also, welcome to the forums and thank you so much for your service to our country!
x2 and I would sell it

Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New poster here, IMHO, ebay it or such, unload before you leave, from a $$ standpoint, think what the 2 years of storage unit costs will be? probably about what you had in the car to begin with.

While overseas two years, save some of your pennies (even the money you'd have used to pay fo rthe storage, come back and buy a similar car that doesn't need a whale of a lot of work. YOu could probably get a very nice car already to drive and not go thru the nightmare of a restoration.

Hubby of a woman I worked with always wanted an xjs, got a cherry original owner car fully documented for reasonable money not to long ago,.

Unless handy and have time always buy the best car you can buy, better pay more upfront than down the road.

Chris

Old 12-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy User Name

Welcome to the forum....hope everything works out for you.