New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Noooooooob! Hi all! =)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013 | 12:18 PM
|
Default Noooooooob! Hi all! =)

Hello ALL

Name is Steve and I'm a first time owner to a second hand Jag. My cousin and I own a auto salvage yard and we have aquired a 1998 XJ8 recently that was scrapped because of a blown head gasket. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have decided to take on the task. I've attached a few photos of where I'm at with the project. If there are any tips or trick anyone can provide the help is much appreciated. When I pulled the heads it was pretty easy to separate from the block and the gaskets are looking pretty new to me. I'm hoping I don't have a hair line crack in one of the cylinders.

Attached Thumbnails Noooooooob! Hi all! =)-driver.jpg   Noooooooob! Hi all! =)-gaskets.jpg   Noooooooob! Hi all! =)-passenger.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013 | 01:13 PM

welcome to the forum

Old 06-19-2013 | 05:24 AM
Veteran member

Greetings Steve, you about gave me a coronary from looking at the gutted engine of your project car. :-) Good luck on the repairs, and feel free to repost your work and questions in the x308 area of the forum. Lots of smart, DIYers around willing to give support and advice. Enjoy the forum!

Last edited by H20boy; 06-20-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: x308, not x300 (my bad!)
Old 06-19-2013 | 06:03 AM

Welcome to the forum Steve,

Good to have you with us.
For tech help head for the section for your car XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 06-19-2013 | 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link

Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.

Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 06-19-2013 | 01:23 PM
|

Thanks for the warm welcome all! And thank you Jim for the upgrade to my account! I'm still waiting on the word from the machine shop about my heads.... Are there any recommendations as far as machining the heads go? Just wanted to throw that one out there before I go and start a new thread.

Old 06-20-2013 | 09:07 AM
Veteran member

sorry steve, that's way above my pay grade. You'll have better chances for answers in a thread of your own in the x308 subforum. We have some very knowledgeable members and certified jag techs (both retired and active) to answer those type of questions.

Old 06-20-2013 | 10:22 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Steve,

Best to start a new thread for this in X308 section although you'll also find good advice on engine rebuilds in XK8/XKR section.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham