New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Not yet a Jaguar owner in DC

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Not yet a Jaguar owner in DC

I need another car, and a used Jaguar seems to be a pretty good deal. Everything else with the least bit of style costs more. I spent a lot of time looking at different types of 1995-2003 XJ, but finally decided after some test-drives that I just couldn't fit into them comfortably (I'm 5'10"). Looking at the 2004-2007 XJ now. I don't like the looks of the newer XJ and XK, and the S-type is too ostentatious for me.

A few things bother me while I look for old XJs. First is I've found a lot of people hate Jaguar drivers! What do you think? Have you run into that? Or they tell me I'm not old enough or black enough to drive a Jaguar.

Second is that XJs don't last past 130,000 miles. I searched on cars.com for S-types and XJs within 250 miles with over 130,000 miles. There were 24 S-types and only 4 XJs. And Jaguar sold a lot more XJs than S-types! The same search for cars under 100,000 miles turns up 118 S-types and 267 XJs. So an S-type is 14 times as likely as an XJ to top 130,000 miles. There were also many more high mileage X-types than XJs. What's with that?

Third is that 3 out of 4 of the 2000-2003 XJs I've test-driven started smoking after a couple of miles, all in the same place. Oil leaks from the back left corner of the engine and makes a plume of smoke. Is this normal?

Fourth is I don't like how the XJ takes corners. It feels like it's going to roll over. Kinda ruins the sporty feel any time I turn the wheel.

I know the XJR is supposed to be much better, but there just aren't enough of them. I haven't found a single old low-mileage XJR.

Also considering a Chrysler Crossfire. They're almost comparable, cost-wise, and a lot more comfortable to sit in. Soft and spacious, not hard and tight like the XJ's seat, which I worry will cut off the circulation to my legs on a long ride. Hard to find, though. A lot less common than used Jaguars. And hard to see out the rear, which I hate.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,866 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Xeno,

After reading your Intro I cannot see why you are even still considering a Jaguar.

Follow this link XJ ( X350 & X358 ) XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X350 section for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

You may also like to visit the US Mid Atlantic Region by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/mid-atlantic-md-va-dc-de-wv-65/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 03-15-2013, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Welcome to this friendly Forum, although it does sound as if a Jaguar's not for you.
There are plenty of us blasting round the countryside in ten year old XJ & XK's.
Follow Graham's advice and enjoy your membership here.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum Xeno.

From reading all that, extend your search to a bicycle, great visibility, good cornering, and superb for circulation, unlimited in terms of mileage, you can choose whether the engine smokes or not, and fully adjustable for your size.

Good luck with your quest.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 AM
Received 6,337 Likes on 5,522 Posts

Good to have you with us.
Perhaps all the high mileage owners are keeping them?
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by GGG

After reading your Intro I cannot see why you are even still considering a Jaguar.
Graham
Why specifically do you say that? It sounds like you're saying that, yes, XJs have serious reliability problems, and if I can't afford to have a car that doesn't work, I shouldn't buy a Jaguar.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Xeno
Why specifically do you say that? It sounds like you're saying that, yes, XJs have serious reliability problems, and if I can't afford to have a car that doesn't work, I shouldn't buy a Jaguar.
NO.

Specifically my point was that there is not one positive comment in your summary of the various Jaguar models you have tried.

The inevitable conclusion has to be that you are unlikely to enjoy Jaguar ownership.

Graham

Old 03-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
NO.

Specifically my point was that there is not one positive comment in your summary of the various Jaguar models you have tried.

The inevitable conclusion has to be that you are unlikely to enjoy Jaguar ownership.

Graham
+10 GGG, Xeno, we all said the same thing.

If you don't like something, don't buy it, simple as that.

We are not here as a forum to push you towards a purchase.

If you start with 'I'm 5'10" and can't fit comfortably, then I would think that you will have a problem with pretty much every car out there. Jag or not.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm 6'-3" and am quite comfortable in my XK8

Old 03-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
NO.

Graham
Sorry--I didn't talk about the things I like about the XJ, because I'm not worried about them. I'm worried about the things that I talked about. So I'd like to know, for instance, whether the seat hurts after a long trip. I have a blood clot in my leg, so it's very important not to get a car with a seat the cuts off circulation in the legs. I'm worried about the transmission and about the engine leaking oil, because all the Jaguars I drove had jerky transmissions and most of them leaked a lot of oil. Am I just having bad luck? Should I be looking for private sales instead of dealers?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

If you've got a blood clot in your leg go immediately to a hospital.
Blood clots cause pulmonary embolism and possible death.
On the other hand if you like Jaguars just buy one.
I've just driven mine back home on a country road at up to 120 mph with the top down and laughing all the way.
If the Grim Reaper had appeared I'd have given him a ride then gladly gone with him.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Xeno
Sorry--I didn't talk about the things I like about the XJ, because I'm not worried about them. I'm worried about the things that I talked about. So I'd like to know, for instance, whether the seat hurts after a long trip. I have a blood clot in my leg, so it's very important not to get a car with a seat the cuts off circulation in the legs. I'm worried about the transmission and about the engine leaking oil, because all the Jaguars I drove had jerky transmissions and most of them leaked a lot of oil. Am I just having bad luck? Should I be looking for private sales instead of dealers?
I'm 5'11" and haven't had comfort issues on long journeys with any of the Jaguar saloons I've owned. If you are especially concerned about this aspect, then 12-way electric seats are the ones to choose for the versatile range of adjustment.

Transmission changes should be smooth.

Oil leaks on the V8's are very often from the camshaft cover seals and easily rectified.

Graham

Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hey Xeno and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................