New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

OKC Jaguar XK8 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

Wow Robert! You really got the bug bad, two used Jaguars in a week. You didn't even wait to see if the first carriage was going to turn into a pumpkin. As an NCRS member, I always wondered why I've met so many Corvette owners who also own Jaguars and vice versa. Then somebody posted a bio on here of Jaguar's chief designer from the mid 80s through the 90s. Turns out Geoff Lawson was a Corvette fan who had previously worked for General Motors and who regularly commuted to his office in Coventry in a classic red 1969 Corvette. Can't say I really see any resemblance between Corvettes and Jaguars of his era, but there's probably a bunch of subtle cues that speak to us subliminally which Mr Lawson was responsible for. It could certainly explain your X100 choice though I think Ian Callum was more responsible for the X350. BTW, recently finished a 72 small block in Bryar Blue and its registered for judging at the Texas regionals in Frisco next month. Fingers crossed.

The following users liked this post:
RoVerto (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Very nice cars. Just curious why the XJ8 has photos taken in Florida if it is in Oklahoma? Did you actually see the car in person? Can't be too careful as there are lots of scammers out there.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:56 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er
Very nice cars. Just curious why the XJ8 has photos taken in Florida if it is in Oklahoma? Did you actually see the car in person? Can't be too careful as there are lots of scammers out there.
The seller used pictures of the Jaguar when he bought it out of Florida. He had it shipped to Texas where he was working at the time about 18 months ago. I saw the car in his garage in Edmond, Okla. last night. He will take it to very good Jaguar mechanic in Edmond, Okla. this Thursday for a sale inspection. The seller and I will both be there and it should take about an hour. If there are $1,000 or more repairs that need to be done, I can void the contract.

Last edited by RoVerto; 09-03-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:28 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
Wow Robert! You really got the bug bad, two used Jaguars in a week. You didn't even wait to see if the first carriage was going to turn into a pumpkin. As an NCRS member, I always wondered why I've met so many Corvette owners who also own Jaguars and vice versa. Then somebody posted a bio on here of Jaguar's chief designer from the mid 80s through the 90s. Turns out Geoff Lawson was a Corvette fan who had previously worked for General Motors and who regularly commuted to his office in Coventry in a classic red 1969 Corvette. Can't say I really see any resemblance between Corvettes and Jaguars of his era, but there's probably a bunch of subtle cues that speak to us subliminally which Mr Lawson was responsible for. It could certainly explain your X100 choice though I think Ian Callum was more responsible for the X350. BTW, recently finished a 72 small block in Bryar Blue and its registered for judging at the Texas regionals in Frisco next month. Fingers crossed.
2005 Jaguar XK8 Convertible

188.0 in. length 81.7 in. width 101.9 in. wheelbase 51.0 in. height 4.7 in. ground clearance

1972 Corvette Convertible

182.5 in. length 69.0 in. width 98.0 in. wheelbase 47.9 in. height 4.5 in. ground clearance

The Jaguar is similar in proportion to the Corvette, but just bigger in all directions. The width is the biggest difference in that the Jaguar has an almost 13 wider base. It is certainly easier getting into and getting out of than the Corvette.

Last edited by RoVerto; 09-28-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

All modern cars are larger than they used to be. I have a 4-post lift and noticed that my XF is within an inch of each side but my old XJ8 leaves a good 3 inches to spare on both sides. Our parking garage at work was built in the late 70s and has fully half the spaces marked "small car only" for Pintos and Vegas, but there are no small cars today the size of Pintos and Vegas. Somebody in our building drives a 1983 Chrysler New Yorker. I swear its the smallest car in there and that was Chrysler's flagship. There'll be a Civic parked next to it and the Chrysler may be longer but it still looks so tiny by comparison in every other dimension. I had a 79 Civic back in the day and that was a microcar compared to today's Civic. In addition to a mobile car wash company that comes every week and washes cars on the roof, there's a paintless dent repair company that comes out too. Its that necessary. I get to work a half hour before everyone else, not because I love my job or anything, but just to get one of the few corner spaces that are wide enough that I won't get dinged. Hope you find a decently wide spot to park your new Jaguars because the cars on either side of it will be wide too.

RoVerto (09-29-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 12:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You won’t regret it my first Jag Samantha was the 2005 XK8, black on black convertible. Good luck.

RoVerto (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 12:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that front end is amazing, white looks tough. Fast and purposeful

RoVerto (10-03-2019)