New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Old Member returns after some years

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Member returns after some years

Hi everyone - I am a the owner of a 2002 XJ Sport (115K on the clock). Also I am a former forum member who has been absent since before COVID hit. Now that I have retired I am turning my attention to my 2002 XJ Sport which has been my daily driver until a month ago when the fuel feed pipe broke, stranding me in the middle of a busy road. Waited 3 hours for the tow truck to show but finally got it towed to the dealer - mistake number 1. As most of you probably know the fuel feed/return pipes are no longer in production so the dealer was not helpful but jury-rigged a fix to get me home but the car went into restricted performance immediately and just manged to get her home. Anyway I never had really thought about the issue of the "aging beloved vehicle" before now and realize that any number of things could go wrong in the next few years. I have talked to some restoration shops and I think I have found one who is willing to do the work but it will be a month or so before they can actually get me into the shop. Ultimately my goal is to do a complete mechanical restoration to get the car back to near new performance (don't say it - yes, I have more money than time) but job one is to get the fuel feed and return lines fabricated and the vehicle running. The shop owner said it shouldn't be a problem to get the line fabricated at it is a standard 5/16" steel fuel pipe. My question to the forum relates to the fuel pressure regulator. For many years I have used the SNG Barratt catalogue (see attached) to determine part numbers and provide a template for needed repairs. SNG Barratt shows two fuel pressure regulators for the X308:
1. NCA3007CA which runs between the vacuum hose (AJ83877) and the fuel return hose (NNC6054EA).
2.Additionally it shows a fuel injection pressure regulator on the fuel rail JLM21358. Just want to make sure that both these are required (1 of each).
Any tips welcome. Cheers.
Steve

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SNG Barratt Catalog.pdf (8.23 MB, 10 views)
Old 05-07-2024, 04:14 PM
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Welcome back aboard Steve.

Old 05-08-2024, 04:55 AM
Received 10,481 Likes on 6,921 Posts

Welcome back.

I reckon a repost in the XJ8 (X308) Tech Section.

Graham will see it eventually and copy it for you.

Good luck.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:14 AM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Steve,

Good to have you with us.
I've copied your post to the X308 section, follow this link to find it
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ulator-280014/
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Last edited by Norri; 05-08-2024 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,357 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Steve I would use a Jaguar dealer and give them your VIN. Jaguar does everything off the last 6 digits of the car's VIN. As you know Jaguar's might not look different but Jaguar has always made many running changes and the VIN is the only way to keep up with the changes and verify the correct parts.

I like and use Harper Jaguar.
New Jagaur Parts

With the age of your car you might get better results by checking with Jaguar Land Rover Classic parts. They seem to pick up the parts that the dealers no longer carry.
Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts
So you need to expand your part searches and I am afraid as you said this will be an expensive project if done at a commercial shop.

You did not post where you live but there is a TON of used parts on EBay if you can catch what you need.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,218 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Hello, Steve,
Welcome back to the forums from ElinorB.
(';")

Old 05-08-2024, 03:16 PM
Received 4,281 Likes on 3,701 Posts

welcome back to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 05-09-2024, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Steve I would use a Jaguar dealer and give them your VIN. Jaguar does everything off the last 6 digits of the car's VIN. As you know Jaguar's might not look different but Jaguar has always made many running changes and the VIN is the only way to keep up with the changes and verify the correct parts.

I like and use Harper Jaguar.
New Jagaur Parts

With the age of your car you might get better results by checking with Jaguar Land Rover Classic parts. They seem to pick up the parts that the dealers no longer carry.
Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts
So you need to expand your part searches and I am afraid as you said this will be an expensive project if done at a commercial shop.

You did not post where you live but there is a TON of used parts on EBay if you can catch what you need.
Thanks for your comments and advice. I live in the Philly area about 30 miles west of the city in West Chester, PA. The problem I have with the dealer is that if the needed part is no longer available from Jaguar (like the fuel feed line and return), they say there is nothing they can do. They will not get the part fabricated or even install a fabricated replacement if I get it fabricated and deliver it to them. They won't accept the liability. They will install a used OEM part but there are none available for the fuel lines. The shop I talked to for the restoration, if it ultimately works out, will have any unavailable parts fabricated and install them. I will see what I can find on eBay or elsewhere.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

That's why I recommend to search out the correct part number first. If you plan to keep working on your car it will be well worth it to get all the factory documentation?
First we have 2 main sources.

JTIS-This is the shop manual. Huge and poorly done so get ready for confusion when using it. Note this has no part numbers in it. That's what the JEPC is for.

JEPC and JPART-This is the factory electronic parts manual and to be honest it's a bit of a mess now! Since Flash Player has been removed from just about all the computers because of security problems the original JEPC no longer has any diagrams. We got lucky and a software guy named Steve made this work by writing some custom software. It's all free for us to use. So very nice.

These are all free on the forum and found with searches on JTIS, JEPC and JPART. If you have problems we have lot's of threads on how to get things installed and working.

Yes I would abandon the dealer for just about everything. Jaguar appears to be in a slow collapse and they have closed the majority of their dealerships in the US. Both of my local dealers are Land Rover only now. Surprised you have not been turned down cold at the dealers? We have multiple reports that any Jaguar car over 10 years of age they will not touch?

Sorry to keep bringing this up but unless you can DIY things your in for a rough ride with this car?
Good you found a shop but I would search out an independent guy that works on Jag's if possible? That would be the best of both worlds and you might consider making another thread and ask for recommendations on this forum as I am sure there are members in your area who might have suggestions?

Old 05-10-2024, 08:34 AM

clubairth1 - Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I agree that the dealers are a source of disappointment. Hard to understand considering their hourly labor charges are so high. I will try to get the parts number and will canvas the forum for an independent Jag tech. I really want to try to save this car but am not permitted by my HOA to work on my car, not even allowed to wash your own car here. But as a retired 76 year old, I am not sure I have the strength or ability to do any of the work myself anyway. Thanks again sharing your experience.

Old 05-12-2024, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Well I am behind you some (Now 66) but fully understand what your saying! Your smart to understand your limitations and accept them for what they are.
In my new shop I don't have a lift yet but man these old bones sure are looking forward to getting one installed!

But I think you should start a thread and try to find a good independent repair shop/guy. He will be worth his weight in gold if the right guy!
Don't discount forum members who might do work on the side either? I have repaired several of my friends Jaguars of different years (From a 1962 S-Type to a 2015 XJR). But that is probably a long shot depending on where you live?

We also love pictures and that's one of the requirements of this forum is you MUST post pictures of your Jaguar!!

Old 05-12-2024, 11:12 AM
Default My 2002 XJ Sport

Old 05-12-2024, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Well get that missing passenger side center cap replaced and you will be good to go!
Nice car and a good color too. I don't see any clear coat peeling either which is way too common.

Old 05-12-2024, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
In my new shop I don't have a lift yet but man these old bones sure are looking forward to getting one installed!
Don't put it off any longer. I put in a four-post with two sliding scissor jacks back in 2007 and it was life changing at about the same revolutionary level as the smart phone. No matter what kind you get, you will wonder why you didn't get it sooner.

To the OP, I am not familiar with part #NCA3007CA but I am familiar with part #JLM21358. I bought an aftermarket one last year, Delphi FP10385 (less than 1/4 of the cost of the oem), but it didn't come with the correct o-rings. The ones that came with it, one waaaay too fat and the other looked too skinny compared to the squashed originals, and there was no way to squeeze the fat one into place. I had to figure out o-rings that would work (2.4cs x 22.3id & 2.4cs x 7.3id, 75duro, Viton) and buy them in packages of 25 and 100. Still a lot cheaper than the OEM. Don't know if it was just a fluke, that one part packaged incorrectly or what, but if you run into the same problem, I've got extras for a postage stamp.

Old 05-12-2024, 12:38 PM

Thanks for your comment. Have attached a photo of NCA3007CA.