New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

One day away from becoming a Jaguarian :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One day away from becoming a Jaguarian :)

Hello all,

My name is Fred and I’m about a day away from getting a 2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged from this wonderful gentleman who’s had it from the beginning. I’ve been “lurking” these forums, torn between the idea of “just looking” or “sign up as a wannabe” J. But I’ve enjoyed this forum very much and it has helped me make my decision easier.

I drove a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am (5.7L V8, 6 speed) for about 7 years and a 3 month old at home made me sell my car. So while looking for a “boring sedan”, I was weighing my options between the usual Lexus ES/GS 350 or the even more common 5 series or the E550. Then, while watching an old episode of Top Gear on YouTube, Jeremy Clarkson was reviewing the new XK. I love the XK, but trading a 2 door for another 2 door made no sense. So I started looking at the XF and she was everything I was looking for in a sports sedan and then some!!

In a sad way, I was happy to see that I could actually afford a $70k car after 3 years (thanks depreciation… please don’t bite me in the **** in 5 years if I decide to sell the Jag J) for just about the price of a 535 or GS 350. Of course, the naysayers said “don’t buy a Jag unless you plan on spending the next half of your life at a dealership’s service center”, but I am of the opinion that a car is only as good and reliable as the owner’s TLC. Well, I had an “unreliable American muscle car” for 7 years with not so much as a blinker not working, so I’ll take my chances with the British… no wait, American… no wait, Indian car J

18 hours to become a Jaguarian J

- Fred

Old 08-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Welcome to the forum !
Thousands of XF owners here in England surely cannot all be wrong, I see these cars everyday around here, they have been a major success for Jaguar, so I think you will enjoy the car. I dont have any direct experience apart from a dealer road test of the 3 litre diesel, a car not exported to the USA. The diesel was so fast, I thought "Goodbye petrol if you can get all this performance and 40 miles to the UK gallon" !

Like you, I have to wait until depreciation does its work, so will stay with my X350 3 litre petrol for now. Hell, it's only done 45k since it was made in 2003, and I'm the 2nd owner !

Old 08-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Thanks Fraser. Unlike in the UK, Jags are hard to come by here in the US. For every 100 bimmers that we see, I might see 1 Jag. Which is fine by me... I love the exclusivity and that's one of the primary reasons I'm getting a Jag as well.

Can't wait until tomorrow to go pick her up!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the Forum Fred, just so happens I have a 2011 XF loaner car right now while my XK is getting new tires on it. Your gonna love yours!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Thanks man. Since you mentioned tires, what size tires go on the XK? I love the Supercharged XF and wouldn't think of getting anything else, but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the 20" wheels. I think giving owners the option of 19s or 20s would have been nice; I bet most people would have chosen 19. I shrug at the thought of having to replace all 4 wheels and tires!! Yikes!!

Btw, I see that you're a 2 wheel guy as well; I ride an 08 Yamaha R6 myself

- Fred

Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hello Fred and welcome to jaguarforums.com. I know that you are anxious to get started and we are anxious to meet you and talk about your car. We have a baseline / criteria that must be met before full access can be granted. Please enjoy the forum and be patient once the baseline has been satisfied full access will be granted. Please continue to post and accept my welcome to the forum.

If you haven’t already you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for. To do this go to, User CP, Edit Signature, Add Vehicle Details and such and Save Your Signature.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

Also, should you have questions related to your vehicle please post it in the section for your model year (MY) car. This way you will reach all the members that are familiar with your MY car.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Fred,welcome aboard, great to have you here with us.
Good to welcome you here and to Jaguar ownership.....You're so going to love your XF.....beautiful car with sleek lines and fast too

really looking forward to pics when you can post em

Loads going on, plenty of very friendly and helpful members as well as some excellent tech advice......all good!

In the meantime I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site

Hope you enjoy the site

Ps - thats a helluva lot of underscores in your name.....If you want a name change send me a pm