New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Please help me choose between Lexus or Jaguar xj!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me choose between Lexus or Jaguar xj!

Im 16 and I have a Lexus rx 330, I love the car and feel really safe in terms of reliability and not having to pay for repairs. Its a 2004 and I just hit 93000 miles on it so definitely getting up there. My mom has the Jaguar S-type 4.2 and I love switching between the lexus and the Jag. My uncle has been letting me drive his 2004 Jaguar XJ8 for a little bit to see if I like it. He would sell it to me for 7,000 which I think is a steal and would really lower the payment if i got the jaguar vs the Lexus. The 2004 XJ8 just hit 70300 miles and is in great shape im concerned about the miles though. Im not worried about the Lexus miles but im extremely worried about how much it will cost to maintain the Jaguar with that many miles.. Please help if you have experience with this car and the miles.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 PM
ecw
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not a big fan of payments. The Jag would probably be more fun to drive and nearly as reliable, but being so young and having limited cash i would go with which ever could be payed of the fastest. Once payed off you could put the money away each month. A couple years down the road you could drive whatever you wanted and not have to worry about any of it.

One other thing to consider is insurance rates, if I had to guess the Jag will be more.

The following users liked this post:
gavinw35 (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 AM
Received 6,323 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Tough decision, you're 16, so I'd say go for the option that's going to be most fun.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tough decision!

All I can say is, Lexus' come and go, but a Jag is forever.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Thank You all, I am definitely leaning towards the Jag id be able to cut my payment in half and I have to say theres just something about getting in and out of a Jaguar that Lexus just simply cant do. I am afraid of the value though, My lexus is still worth about $19,000 even with 93,000 miles on it and being an 04' so am I shooting myself in the foot for when I go to get rid of the Jaguar? hmmm...

Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Exclamation Update

Well I would like to give you all an update, Today in New Mexico we got 4-8 inches of snow and beings that the only car I have here is the XJ8 I took it to meet with a running group at 5 a.m by 6:30 when we finished the roads were covered with snow and I must say the Jaguar did great getting me home. Now I must say I guess my decision has been made for me, while backing out of my families restaurant onto a one way and one lane street the Jag's Gears got completely locked up and I guess for lack of a better word confused. When i Had stopped to go from Reverse to Drive I moved the gear shifter down to Drive like usual only the car was in nuetral, yet the gear shifters position was in the Drive setting.. So i moved the gear shifter back to park and then went to go back to drive and it would not move and was locked in the park position. However, it wasnt in park the car was in reverse while the shifter was in the Park setting. Well after blocking the one way street and standing in the snow for an hour the tow truck arrived to take it to the dealer to be worked on.. I must say even while getting hooked onto a tow truck it still was a beautiful car.. I believe the conclusion is that this XJ is not the one for me and I will continue to keep the Lexus Rx and Jaguar S-type we currently have. I wish I could post the picture but the forum wont let me