New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Potential xj8l owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential xj8l owner

Hi everyone,
I have an opportunity to obtain a 99 xj8L with 37K miles on her from my brother for almost free. I am very concerned about plastic tensioner issues as well as cylinder lining issues that I have been researching. Car drives wonderfully and makes no strange noises. BUT, i am not in a position to pay for a possible major engine rebuild or replacement if that should occur. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Would it be smart to go ahead and replace the tensioners as a precaution even if there are no rattling noises coming from the engine? Jim

Old 04-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts
Default RE: Potential xj8l owner

Jim, the responsibility comes with ownership, i'm afraid. If you do get it, there is a good chance that you can go a year, maybe two before you hear any type of tensioner symptoms. But, they are there, and the more wear they get on them, you will eventually have to have them replaced...no way around it I am afraid. Others will have opinions as well, but i like to be proactive on items like that. At least these come with some forewarning, so i would put a little nest egg aside while driving her around, and when that day comes, you are prepared. At least there are no immediate signs of the premature failing now if you buy it. There are other quirks to the car too that you may also have to face...not just those pesky tensioners. Decisions, decisions...

Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Matt, thanks for the reply. It is a tough decision for me. The car is sooo beautiful and the longer wheelbase is a bonus. The car will be a 3rd car that will be driven only about 4000 miles a year.
It is so seductive, it covers up the under the hood issues. What other quirks were you referring to? Appreciate your comments. Jim

Old 04-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Jim -

Sounds like you found a reallysweet deal. My wife and I own a '98 XJ8 and we love everything about our Big Cat....except maintenance costs! But as Matt pointed out; "responsibility comes with ownership". Sombody on this forum once said,a Jag is like a beautiful woman that you absolutely must have, who's very high maintenance and knows how to be a pain in the *** from time to time. But then again none of us own a Jauar because we're tooworried about maintenance - it's for their performance, style, handling, smell, luxury, etc., etc., etc. Norice burnersfor us ever again! We're sticking with the Big Cat! Best of luck with your decision.

Ron & Andrea
Tucson, AZ.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Other issues are mainly electrical in nature. Those can be frustrating if you don't know where to look. I subscribe to all of the new threads started in all model sections, and it seems that the older models have more electrical issues than newer ones.