New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Prince of Darkness or visionary? Posting to maintain my ability to lurk

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012 | 11:51 PM
|
Default Prince of Darkness or visionary? Posting to maintain my ability to lurk

Hello JF community. I own a 2000 XKR and the JF webmaster wants me to post something. I cannot be intimidated (by car problems).

The XKR is my 10th British vehicle. I have done a few "frame-offs" and some interesting customizations of Land Rovers. However this is my first Jag and the first 60 days don't seem to be so bad.

OK, here's the entertainment part of my post that I humbly submit so that I am not pruned from the JF forum. Read on only if you have time to spare. A wry sense of humor won't hurt.

Disappointment - IBM rediscovering a well known British invention

IBM Research Advances Device Performance for Quantum Computing -- YORKTOWN HEIGHTS, N.Y., Feb. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

(hmm, does the robotomaton eat URLs, or will the JF audience see this?)
h tt p://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ibm-research-advances-device-performance-for-quantum-computing-140670433.h tm l just remove the obvious spaces.

I am frequently required to peruse inventions claimed by others in the electronics industry to gauge the strength of my company's patent portfolios. I came across this URL and the hair on the back of my neck went up.

The URL above shows a so-called invention by IBM where they have created a form of data that can be at the same time a "0" and a "1" for quantum computing. They have only been able to demonstrate the life of these "qubits" for 100ms. That's less than a second.

The British automobile industry, however, has been delivering products for nearly half a century that exploit this so-called "discovery". Look at this excerpt from the article:

How Quantum Computing Works
The most basic piece of information that a typical computer understands is a bit. Much like a light that can be switched on or off, a bit can have only one of two values: "1" or "0". For qubits, they can hold a value of "1" or "0" as well as both values at the same time. Described as superposition, this is what allows quantum computers to perform millions of calculations at once.

We all know that if you were driving, say, an MGB from the 1960s and turned on the headlights (a "logical 1") the headlamps would light, stay dark, or sometimes give you either a blend of "1" and "0" which we call "dim" or even an alternating "1" and "0" which we call "flicker". If that's not "superposition", then what is?

It is absurd that IBM is now "rediscovering" a feature that only owners of British cars have paid dearly for over the past 50 or so years.

Walnut Burl matched veneer interiors, Connolly leather seating, and an electrical system that employs quantum computing. I call that "classy"

Old 07-20-2012 | 03:46 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum,

A bit more info on the XJR................

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User ID button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Graham

Old 07-20-2012 | 03:52 AM
Veteran Member

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard the forum, good to have you here with us

Be great to have you as an active member............how about a pic or two of your baby?
There's a really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun here.....

I have manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features

Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 07-20-2012 | 04:07 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.

Good to see you.

Custom Landrovers, mmm I feel another urge coming on. Dangerous.

Old 07-20-2012 | 06:12 AM

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you with us.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 07-20-2012 | 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Alright, but how solid is your own patent portfolio?

In particular, the granting of patents in the software field is just plain wrong minded.