New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Prodigal returns

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013 | 06:25 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default Prodigal returns

Have come back to Jaguar after a partial hiatus of 8 years. Just bought an absolutely cherry 308 2001 XJ8L (F35063) after years of driving Jaguar engined Land Rovers. My first Jag was a 2001 S type V8 which I traded a year later for a 2001 XJ8 that had been used by Jag execs for Canadian car shows in 2001. Traded that Jag for a brand new 2005 LR3 with a 4.2 jag engine. Later, and just sold, a 2008 RRS SC with a 4.2.

This British Racing Green XJ8L is absolutely beautiful: paid too much (~$9000), but it had only 63000miles, clearly garaged, and absolutely flawless exterior and only flaw in interior was a drooping roof liner which I was able to repair with plastic inserts. Car needs front shocks, so I will put Bilsteins on shortly; put new pads up front yesterday (the excellent pictoral at this site was very useful); pumped the MAF with cleaner; cleaned the throttle; both improved idle and off idle acceleration. Biggest problem I have had so far was getting the front wheels off the hub -- literally, rusted on (back side of a spring compresser turned 90 degrees after each tightening busted the wheels off, finally. Now to get the tires rebalanced - BMW dealer I bought it from swore he balanced the tires, but I know they didn't get the wheels off, so used a Hunter on-vehicle balancer, cuz once I put the wheels back on after changing the pads the balance sucks. Next move is to get a Jag dealer to align the front end - which will prioritize what front "bits" need replacement.

Engine and transmission run like a top. Brakes are as slow as I remember Jag brakes (ain't Brembos like on the supercharged Range Rover sport).

Couple things I need to know as I continue the research:

Does this engine have the plastic water pump that goes at 60K?

Where can I get a hold down bolt for securing the spare tire?

Why does my OBD II reader just give me a P1000 code and no others?

All else is great: still one of the most beautiful cars ever built; my wife thinks I am nuts for dumping a flawlessly maintained, like new, Range Rover for this 12 year antique . . . what do wives know?

I was pretty active on the Range Rover forum; helpful too, I hope. Will try to be the same here.

Jim

Haven't figured out how to manage signature yet.

Old 04-25-2013 | 06:32 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Jim,

Thanks for the interesting Intro.

Follow this link XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X308 section for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Only the early V8's had problems with the Water Pump impellers breaking up but the later ones do still wear out. Check for info on tensioners - another known issue. The P1000 code means all OnBoard diagnostic tests have been completed. Good news if this is the only code stored.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You may also like to visit the US Mid Atlantic Region section by following this link Mid Atlantic - MD VA DC DE WV - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 04-25-2013 | 06:37 PM

Welcome to the forum Jim,

Good to have you with us.
She sounds like a cracker!
Post in the tech section XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to get answers to your questions take a look at your regional section also Mid Atlantic - MD VA DC DE WV - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 04-25-2013 | 07:01 PM

welcome to the forum

Old 04-26-2013 | 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hey there Jim and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Can't have too many Jim's on a forum I always say

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................