New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Prospective Jag owner, looking for advice on possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prospective Jag owner, looking for advice on possible purchase

I've just found out about this forum, been looking through as many threads as I can. But you guys have the know how and experience so if you can help guide me I would be grateful

My first love when I was 17 was a black-on-black 96 xj8 sitting at a used lot in my home town. The price was affordable, the car was beautiful and had low miles and all the power young me could want over the 88 grand marq I was using. But all that came crashing down when young me called for the insurance quote. Heart broken

10 years and 4 states later I see an ad pop up for 04 x-type and I'm really thinking about it, since I called the insurance for curiosity and laughs only to find it wouldn't be that much.

link to the ad here

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 AWD 5 Speed | Dickinson, ND Classifieds

It's not exactly what I've been hoping my jag would be if I got one, but certain kinds of makes are very rare up here, and I might never see another one. I could look and buy nationally and have it shipped, but the whole buying site unseen scares the heck out of me.

Prices of any vehicles up here is always a little high, as well as mileage since towns are so far apart (I have to drive 90 miles for the nearest walmart), but is it still too high considering?

And I might be taking a test drive in a few days. What are the common issues and part failures that I should be aware of?

Thank you guys, this forum is a great resource and I will keep clicking threads.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:04 AM
Received 10,481 Likes on 6,921 Posts

Welcome.

I strongly suggest a good read of the X Type section, in particular the "stickies" at the top.

I will leave any suggestions either yay or nay, to people in your market area, coz we be different down here.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:10 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum ghiadon,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I'm always very wary of the phrase 'don't have the time to fix it' but the vendor seems to be open about the issues. Check the parts cost as Jaguar parts can hold some nasty surprises.

Several members have purchased out of State and it's rare to read of bad experiences so if this one doesn't check out, it's worth considering a national search.

It sounds like you/ve already found the model forum but if not, follow this link X-Type ( X400 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

You can also visit the US Central Region forum by following this link US Central - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 10-16-2016, 02:47 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 10-16-2016, 05:55 AM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums ghiadon,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 10-16-2016, 06:26 AM
Received 4,281 Likes on 3,701 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 10-16-2016, 06:27 AM
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,218 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Hello,
I grew up in Montana so I understand what you say about 90 miles to the nearest WalMart; and anything else of interest being at least an hour's drive away.

As one Montanan to another, 147,000 miles seems a bit much for that asking price. I'm also seeing a Red Alert when he says "I Need to sell it." Why does he "Need to sell it?" What is about to die that he doesn't want to deal with? You could probably call and ask, and then you Really should go see it.

And the Fair condition. Of course, Any car in the Montana/NoDak area won't be in Great condition after a couple winters on ice and snow, and dents and dings happen in the best of families, but the high mileage would bother me, as you'll need to put even higher mileage on to actually get anywhere. And it's a Loooong way to have a breakdown and tow at $6/mile.

If you do decide to buy this car, plan on working on it yourself (parts are available online if you know what you need and plan on finding some Nasty surprises). Shops will get all panicky if you bring in anything but Chevy, Ford or maybe Honda. Jaguar will Definitely give them hives unless you find an independent mechanic who Loves a challenge.

There are always Jags for sale. If you're not sure in your own mind if this is The One (and it sounds like you aren't), just wait. Some guys in here have waited Decades for The One and when they find it, they're glad they waited.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 10-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I always had the mind to get a mid 90s xj of some kind. I might go take a look at this one, even just to have an idea of how the awd feels over rear drive. Probably keep looking though, which is kind of exciting since it's not just a "someday I can" looking now.

I have another car for a daily driver that I am keeping, too

I'm hoping I don't get too tempted if I go to look at it.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (10-16-2016)