New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

proud new 2013 XJL

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 04:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default proud new 2013 XJL

Hello fellow Jaguar enthusiasts!
I have now had my new (to me) 2013 XJL for about a month. Wow. I had dreamed of the day. The styling, the space, and the OOMPH. Yes. I finally convinced my wife to let me take the plunge and get a dream car. Granted, it does have 118K miles, no massaging seats or soft close doors. The back seats don't recline or have the tray tables. But it is absolutely everything I have wanted in a car. Roomy, comfortable, plenty (for me) of power and it has style for days. I am thrilled to have the car.

Now that all the gushing, new guy part of me has been said, I do nave an issue that I am going to tackle starting today. The rear sound is severely lacking. I believe there is an issue with the amplifier. I do get some sound from the speakers in the doors, but it is very slight and the sub-woofers are basically not doing anything at all. Now I've been out of it for a couple of decades, but I used to be a car stereo installer for a major chain and have done a couple of thousand installs over the years I worked there. I found the wiring diagrams someone so kindly posted in the sticky threads. I also removed the trunk (guess I have to start saying "boot" now) covers to expose the amplifier and the sirrus receiver in the left side of the boot.

My next steps are to confirm the inputs and outputs of the amp so I know where all the wires go. My intention is to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket amp. I have a 4 channel amplifier from a previous vehicle that I can use for the rear speakers, if I do two channels for the rear doors and two channels (bridge mono) for the sub-woofers in the back deck. I'll be replacing those babies too.

Did I mention I am a bit of a music snob? I can't say I make it to audiophile status, but I am certainly going to try.

If there is interest, I'll take pictures and post my progress as I go along. Also that depends on my actually making progress on this idea.

It is great to meet all of you and I look forward to typing with you in the future!

-Rich

Old 11-15-2020, 05:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Rich,

Good to have you with us.

It sounds like you've already found your way to the X351 forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. You can also use the US Southwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-southwest-37/ to find other members in your region.

Please add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 11-15-2020, 05:36 PM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!!

Old 11-15-2020, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,213 Likes on 5,388 Posts

Hello, Rich,
Congratulations on your new Jaguar!
All that stuff you list the car doesn't have, that's just less stuff to go wrong! And, 118k miles is just now well broken in and loosened up. A modern engine should Easily give you 250k at Least before you have trouble. Provided, that is, you take care of the whirly bits and give them required lubricity.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 08:17 PM
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Welcome aboard Rich.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:33 PM
Received 10,480 Likes on 6,920 Posts

Welcome to the Forms.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:53 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:03 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Rich,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-26-2020, 01:28 PM
Default Oops. Not a good day

So that nice, new-to-me 2013 XJL of mine has great summer tires on it.Summer in the dryer climates, summer tires. Apparently, when rain runs downhill on the pavement, and you have a nice light car, and tires with tread not designed for the current conditions, you can have a very bad day. I spun out in the car, going into the ditch and spinning around (right-side up fortunately). Yes, hydroplaning is a real thing. Also, once you no longer have any friction, it is not easy to get that back.

So I put my beautiful XJL into the ditch the hard way. Hood, front bumper, light assembly, and the rear bumper too. Not to mention, it was up to the axles in mud. At least it will need an alignment to go with the cosmetics. I am hoping there is no frame damage, but I went into the ditch at about 65 MPH.

The only good part of the story is that my dog and I walked away without a scratch or a bruise. No airbag deployments.The car protected me and the dog.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,213 Likes on 5,388 Posts

Ohhh, I HATE that!
At the very least you'll need a front bumper and hood, maybe rear bumper, plus paint touch-up. If any side panels are damaged in any way, as in dented, those will be replaced as modern cars are far too thin for traditional panel beaters.

I hope you get off "cheap."
(';')

Old 11-27-2020, 10:13 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by rybjevans
..... The only good part of the story is that my dog and I walked away without a scratch or a bruise. No airbag deployments.The car protected me and the dog.
Ouch.

Good to hear you and the dog are OK.

Jaguars are designed to crumple around the occupants as protection in the event of an accident. Unfortunately they can look a mess afterwards. I hope your insurance takes care of everything.

Graham

Old 11-27-2020, 02:25 PM

Well, I got to look at the car in daylight. Most of the damage is cosmetic that I could see. The exception to that is the driver's rear tire. It is pointed into the frame a bit on the front part. so that is bent at a minimum. Axel, frame or wheel assembly is banged up. I am not sure how severe or what needs to be replaced. My fear is that it represents farme damage. Does anyone know if frame damage is an automatic death sentence with the aluminum frame?

Old 11-27-2020, 06:12 PM
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Glad your ok!

Old 11-28-2020, 03:42 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by rybjevans
...... Does anyone know if frame damage is an automatic death sentence with the aluminum frame?
Here's the JLR accident repair advice:

If it's supension component damage, parts are available. Similarly with bolt-on parts such as the front bumper. However, JLR do restrict bodyshell (frame) parts to approved repairers in Europe and it could be the same in the USA. This limits the options on where structural repairs can be done.

My insurer looks at 70% of value as the cut off for a "non-economic repair" or write-off. However, the aluminium bodied Jaguars do seem to be considered a write-off more frequently than steel bodied models due to cost of parts and complexity of repairing rivetted/bonded bodyshells .

Graham

Old 12-10-2020, 09:28 AM

Well. it looks like a short term love affair with my car. I believe the insurance company is going to declare it totaled out. Now the question is how much they will offer to settle with me. Since I have had the car about 6 weeks, I am really hoping to get out from the note on the car and break even. That will give me the chance to find another XJL to replace this one.
Apparently $14,000 worth of damage, a $750 towing, $300 for storage (at the wrong repair shop over a holiday weekend) and a rental car for a couple of weeks, they decided that it is time to call this one totaled.

*SIGH* glad I waited to get all of my items out of the car before I left the small town.

For those who do read this, The XJL protected me, my dog, a box of 100-ish year old china, and a box of wedgewood china. Nothing was broken and both the dog and I came out of the accident without a bruise. That was 70MPH on the interstate, spinning out and going into the ditch, ending up facing into traffic in the ditch.

NOT A SCRATCH. Thank you Jaguar for building a vehicle that protects the occupants. Even without airbags deploying.

The following 3 users liked this post by rybjevans:
GGG (12-10-2020), LnrB (12-11-2020), NBCat (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 09:43 AM
GGG

An excellent endorsement for Jaguar safety. I hope I never have to do any similar testing myself.

Graham

Old 12-10-2020, 11:49 AM

It is not a technique that I can really recommend. I believe this to be knowledge best gained second hand.

I guess for me that makes it wisdom.

GGG (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 02:07 PM

I will add that I have my eye on a 2014 XJL.

LnrB (12-11-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 12:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you weren't hurt. We just inherited a virtually brand new Jaguar XJL (2014) with 8.5k miles on it. Pretty mint still.

In the cool mornings, I make sure to turn on "winter mode" so the car doesn't abruptly apply power and make sure we maintain control smoothly.

I'm taking the XJL for a car detail today to give it a proper polish / wax to protect the paint.