New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Purchasing a Jaguar need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009 | 08:26 PM
AXA
|
Default Purchasing a Jaguar need help

I must say i have fallen in love with the front of the Jaguar S type with its grille that drives me nuts . However, i also like the X types feature of AWD which makes life a lot easier. I am trying to decide between the two and cannot come to a decision. Also, i realize S type manuals are almost impossible and X type are really rare. Am i correct on that assumption?

I am a NYC Financial Advisor in Midtown which it will driven through alot, what do you guys think? Give me suggestions and which would you pick? Thanks guys i can't wait.

Old 11-12-2009 | 11:45 PM

I, for one, am a bigger fan of the X-types. I don't own one, but to me they look a lot more "Jaggy" than the S-types do. S-types look more like Mercedes (or is it that some of the mMercs look like S-types?).

Anyway, I'm a fan of the X.

Old 11-13-2009 | 03:36 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome, I think S Types look more traditional over X Types but X Types exude Jaguar's lines too .
I find X Types more attractive and fine looking over S Types that's why I would go for X Type despite S Types give you higher level of comfort

Old 11-13-2009 | 12:21 PM
Veteran member

If it were a limited choice between an s-type and an x-type...i'd go the S-type. It has more of the traditional jag styling that the x-type doesn't possess. The more I see the older vintage models, the more I think the s-type goes the deepest.

Now, when you go out shopping for an s-type, look to the 2003's and up! Pay the extra $2-3k, but you'll be more pleased with the better reliability inherent in that year.

Old 11-13-2009 | 04:19 PM

My mom has one of each and I've driven both (although they are autos). I prefer the S type myself but it is a shame you can't get the 8 cyl engine with a manual. And yes, manual transmission S types are almost impossible to find from when I was looking.

Old 11-13-2009 | 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by AXA
I must say i have fallen in love with the front of the Jaguar S type with its grille that drives me nuts . However, i also like the X types feature of AWD which makes life a lot easier. I am trying to decide between the two and cannot come to a decision. Also, i realize S type manuals are almost impossible and X type are really rare. Am i correct on that assumption?

I am a NYC Financial Advisor in Midtown which it will driven through alot, what do you guys think? Give me suggestions and which would you pick? Thanks guys i can't wait.
Well, its about taste... and I hink the jaguar s type is 100x more beautiful, once you put that mesh steel grill on the front, it's over.

However, if your rich, and can afford a $60,000 car, definately get the Jaguar 2008 XJ. That thing just oozes class, and is gorgeous from the front back sides, and the interior! Have you seen the interior? They even have DVD screens on the back of the seats. WTF?!

Old 11-13-2009 | 08:02 PM
AXA
|

I think i decided im going to go with the S Type ..

Now what year hm .... i don't see a significant difference throughout the years of the S Type except for minor things ... Anyone have a link to compare or can son me on this subject?

Old 11-14-2009 | 11:34 AM

From everything I have read on the web, Jaguar tops the car market with minimal problematic cars from 2002 on up. It has been a fight between Jag and another company (Buick?).

Some 2003 S-types had a parking brake recall, so make sure if you get that year, you check it out. The defect will cause the brakes to lock up at any speed.

Old 11-14-2009 | 01:37 PM
Veteran member

OK, here goes, Mr. Longwinded here.....

So, I started to tell you about the difference between the S and the X. I'll make that brief then move on. The X Type was Jaguar's entry into the small premium sedan market to go against the BMW 3, Audi A4, and Mercedes C Class. Since Ford didn't have a small rear drive platform they used the front drive Mondeo platform. Since Jaguar and Ford knew that a front drive premium car is a hard sell in the US, an all wheel drive system was created for the platform. The X type has the distinction of being the only Jaguar ever with a transverse mounted engine and transaxle.
Now the S also was developed with Ford. Ford wanted to compete in the mid-size premium market (BMW 5, Audi A6, and Mercedes E Class) and so did Jaguar. So, they co-developed the S Type and Lincoln LS platform. That platform was also used as the basis for the retro Thunderbird. It was however a unique and new rear drive platform. Ford also did the V6 and Jaguar the V8 when it came to engine development. I could go on but now to the evolution of the S.
The first run from 1999 (a 2000 model) to 2002 it ran unchanged and used a Ford 5 speed trans. For 2003 both the LS and S got a major mechanical refresh. Here is where the S split more from the Lincoln as well. The S received a new dash and console, upgraded suspension components, a ZF 6 speed trans., and a bump in HP for both engines. 2003 also saw the introduction of the supercharged R model. The next refresh came in 2005 where they changed the much of the sheet metal. New nose, new tail, new hood, new quarters, and the list goes on. It stayed pretty much the same until it's last year in 2008.
The S was available with a stick on the V6 models only. This was from the introduction through 2004. It was dropped in 2005. The stick shift cars are very very rare.
As far as what to get. I would say a well cared for 03 and up car. They were much improved. I grew up in the shadow of NYC. As I'm sure you know, don't get a car from around the city. Travel a distance in order to get one that hasn't had a hard life. Good luck in your quest!

Old 11-14-2009 | 01:41 PM
AXA
|

^^ That was great. I have been doing a lot of research and i think im going to look for a 2004+ year S type. My budget is 15k-20k so i should be able to afford a decent mileage S Type in those year range. Another thing on my mind is whether to go with the V8 or V6 and from what i have been seeing, there isn't much of a difference in price with regards to the two different engines.

Old 11-14-2009 | 06:36 PM
Veteran member

Ahhh, good question.... The 6cyl cars are more common than the V8's therefore you will probably be able to negotiate a better price. If I had it to do over I would have looked for a V8. I had a V8 2006 for two days while the dealer had mine and got exactly the same MPG during my commute. That said, others may have different results. I drive with a heavy foot so my 3.0 is always working. In stop and go city, the 3.0 will more than likely be cheaper to run. As a point of reference, I got my '05 last September for 19k. I got it from a Jaguar dealer as a certified car. It had 34k miles at the time.

Old 11-14-2009 | 07:41 PM
AXA
|

How you liking it? Do you got head turns and you feel classy in it? Haha hows the sound system anyway? You sound like you know what youre talking about

Old 11-14-2009 | 08:25 PM

My 2 cents CDN (1.5 cents American)
A Jaguar is a particularly emotional purchase. I own a few and not one was a sensible purchase, but I love what I buy.
I would advise that they are both good cars and I think the X-type was given a short shrift because of its underpinnings. h20boy nailed it, the X type has the overall Jag look. The S-type has that georgeous retro front end but I think they dropped the ball completely on the rear end. If Sir William had been involved this would never have happened. However I would have chosen the S-type as well so good on you.
JustV12

Old 11-15-2009 | 06:07 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by AXA
How you liking it? Do you got head turns and you feel classy in it? Haha hows the sound system anyway? You sound like you know what youre talking about
I am humbled by your compliment..Thanks. I know what I know. I also know enough to know that my knowledge is limited and if I don't know I'll ask. That is what is great about this forum. There are a great many people who have diverse experience.
I actually find it funny the way some people react to the car. Some think it is really nice and unusual. Others express petty jealousy thinking the car costs way more than it does. The real funny thing is I never intended to get one. It was really the Lincoln LS that was on my short list. I just sort of fell into the S.
I think the sound system is really good for a factory system. The contractor at the time for Jaguar was/is Alpine. One thing to remember is that all car companies contract suppliers for their electronic components, the trick is to find who that is. I only know a few, based on ownership. For example, Alpine also makes the audio components for Honda. The interesting thing is my past Accords had good factory sound as well. That 06 V8 I referenced had the premium sound system and I didn't like it. I found my base system sounded better. Then again, I only had the car for a couple of days and didn't have the time to mess with it.
Another thought to consider. When I got my S I had a bit of buyer's remorse for not holding out for a more "loaded" car. That has passed. I am actually very happy that I didn't. The more complex the systems (ie navigation, active suspension, even memory seats) the more things to go wrong. My car is a very base model. The only option on it is heated seats. Now back to the sound system. There are a few users on this site that have upgraded the sound systems so search around. They will be much more helpful. My days of spending big money on stuff for my car are on hold for now. I changed my situation for the better and now spend most of my earnings on taking care of my three kids and house. No more buying multiple sets of rims, stereo components, etc. My big spends on the S so far have been a shift knob and Jaguar SIRIUS accessory tuner off of ebay. Woo Hoo.

Old 11-19-2009 | 08:58 PM
AXA
|

Hmm v8 has more known problems than the v6?

Old 11-19-2009 | 11:52 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by AXA
Hmm v8 has more known problems than the v6?
i don't think that particular statement is true, the v8s in the 03 and up are very good motors.