New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Radiomobile antenna motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013 | 12:56 PM
|
Default Radiomobile antenna motor

I own a 1976 Series II Jaguar V12 Coupe. It has a Phillips am/fm radio with a tape player, all of which work fine. My concern is that the rear-wing mounted radio antenna will not extend and retract with any regularity. The motor works fine. Information provided on the motor casing is as follows: "Radiomobile Product, made in Japan, Radiomobile Limited, Goodwood Works, N. Circular Road, London, NW2, 7JS, 52-622."

I believe the problem may be with the ribbed antenna motor reel that is held in place on its threaded shaft by a 10mm nut. I also believe that the width of that antenna reel is determined by the tightness of the nut on that shaft. When the antenna reel is properly adjusted, the antenna line should move out and in, allowing the sectioned antenna to move up and down. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to adjust the nut in question, whether it needs further tightening and, if so, how much.

I recently replaced the antenna line and had removed the nut from the antenna reel shaft. After repositioning the nut, I thought that by clamping the new antenna line onto the antenna motor reel and turning the radio off, the line would automatically rewind itself onto the spool inside the motor. It did not. At present, the antenna line does not move at all even though the motor cycles properly, both clockwise and anti-clockwise and the antenna motor reel turns.

I don’t want to do any damage to the reel itself nor do I want to strip the threads on the shaft the nut screws onto. Is there a manual available for this unit and, if so, is it one that I can download? If there is no manual, could you provide instructions as to how I might achieve the desired antenna extension and retraction.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
Dave Maupin

Old 12-20-2013 | 01:15 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Dave,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar Forums. That's a particularly desirable Jaguar you own.

I've copied your question to the XJ12 tech forum. Members there will be able to advise on the antenna. Here's the direct link to the thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-motor-108510/

Follow this link XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the main XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
coudamau (12-23-2013)
Old 12-20-2013 | 06:03 PM

welcome to the forum and the Jag family - plenty of info and support here simply follow the links Graham has provided and enjoy!!

coudamau (12-23-2013)
Old 12-20-2013 | 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

coudamau (12-23-2013)
Old 12-20-2013 | 10:07 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Dave,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

coudamau (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013 | 02:29 PM
|
Default The Coupe and I

I have been a Jaguar enthusiast for more than 45 years. My first was a 1954 XK 120 FHC. The second was a 1966 Series I E-type, and the third was a 1983 Series III XJ Saloon. I wish I still had them all, each one a great car in its own right, and I consider myself fortunate, but all of them double overhead cam sixes. Before I quit the field I knew that I must have at least one V12.

I looked here in the States and abroad for my V12 to be, read a lot and V12 Coupes mysteriously emerged in my search. But they were so rare, only 604 of the RHD V12s were built between 1973-78. Not much chance of ever owning one of those. And, besides, most of the serviceable ones were in Australia for some reason. I could just imagine the shipping charges on one of those.

Then it came. There was a fully restored Coupe for sale in the UK. It was a RHD V12. Our daughter was in grad school in Durham, UK. I suddenly felt a strong urge to visit her and make sure she was faring well and keeping up with her studies. I arranged a side trip and met the present Coupe owner at a rural train station. He took me for a wild ride in the countryside and then to his home where I was able to inspect the Coupe thoroughly.

This was the one. This was the Coupe for me. All that was left to do was complete the purchase and arrange for shipping – a piece of cake. And, as they say, the rest is history. And what a history it has been.

May I present to you one of the greatest loves of my life, my 1976 Series II XJ V12C.

Old 12-22-2013 | 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Old 12-22-2013 | 09:42 PM

Great story Dave, we just need the pics now!

I've merged your two intro threads.

coudamau (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013 | 11:54 AM
|

Originally Posted by Norri
Great story Dave, we just need the pics now!

I've merged your two intro threads.
Norri,
I posted a photo of the Coupe in my profile. Is there more I need to do?
Dave

Old 12-23-2013 | 11:59 AM
|

oops

Last edited by coudamau; 12-23-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2013 | 12:10 PM
|

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum Dave,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar Forums. That's a particularly desirable Jaguar you own.

I've copied your question to the XJ12 tech forum. Members there will be able to advise on the antenna. Here's the direct link to the thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-motor-108510/

Follow this link XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the main XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham
A belated Thank You, Graham, for your kind words about the Coupe. And thanks too for the advice and guidance. I'm gradually finding my way around this excellent Forum. Looking forward to being an active member.
Dave

Old 12-23-2013 | 12:30 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by coudamau
........... Then it came. There was a fully restored Coupe for sale in the UK. It was a RHD V12. Our daughter was in grad school in Durham, UK. I suddenly felt a strong urge to visit her and make sure she was faring well and keeping up with her studies. I arranged a side trip and met the present Coupe owner at a rural train station. He took me for a wild ride in the countryside and then to his home where I was able to inspect the Coupe thoroughly. .........
There was a good XJC V12 near Durham, UK and you got from NC to beat me to it.........!!!!!

Graham

Old 12-23-2013 | 07:22 PM
|

Originally Posted by GGG
There was a good XJC V12 near Durham, UK and you got from NC to beat me to it.........!!!!!

Graham
Actually, Graham, my Coupe came from Somerset by way of Bicester, Oxon, so there must have been another you had your eyes on. If you think it would be useful, I would be happy to post a brief history of the Jaguar V12 Coupes in general and mine in particular.
Dave

Old 12-24-2013 | 02:53 AM
GGG

Dave,

I thought you'd found the Coupe in my area when you visited you daughter in Durham. My surprise was that I haven't see one around locally for many years.

At the time they were current in the mid 1970's, it was my dream car but finances meant I had to settle for the four door!

I've always considered the Coupe the best of the XJ's and the V12 is a superb engine. I had a pre HE XJ12 for a few months in 1976 but even then, 8 mpg made it hugely expensive to run against a 4.2 which averaged 16 mpg.

Unlikely I'll ever have a coupe now but I do like to read about them and see photos.

Graham