New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

re: loss of power & surging when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014 | 08:15 AM
|
Default re: loss of power & surging when accelerating

I'm new to the forum but have been searching for answers on it for a few years.

THIS IS LONG EXPLAINATION, BUT DEFINATELY WORTH READING

MODEL: 1999 JAGUAR XJR

PROBLEM/SCENARIO: I own a 1999 Jaguar XJR which I had issues that was driving me crazy for about 2 1/2 months. The issues were intermittent and only happened when acceleration lightly and oddly enough happened more frequently when my AC was running full blast or the defroster was full blast. I live in Florida, so my AC is usually on full blast all the time.

PROBLEM DETAIL: I would be slowing down to a light and would make a stop... proceed to go when the light turned green and my car would seem to have a loss of power and would not accelerate as I was pushing on the pedal. It just didn't want to move. If I floored the pedal the car accelerated normally and by-passed the problem. So, I took it to my local Jaguar mechanic who tried to troubleshoot the issue.

He looked at the mass air flow sensor, Throttle positions sensors (TPS), throttle body, looked for vacuum leaks, look at possible transmission problems and tried to have me service the transmission with a flush. All this was to no avail. I was also getting "Restricted Performance" and "FAIL SAFE" mode every day I drove the car. When the mechanic looked at the codes with the scanner, they were vague and gave no clue to what was really going on. All they ever read was "BANK 2 lean". Remember, I wa Please keep in mind, I was going back and forth to this mechanic for 2 1/2 months with this issue.

One day, I nearly got killed by a car that was speeding when having this issue. At that point I said enough is enough, fired this mechanic (who I purchase the car from 2 years ago) and went to a friend of mine who is also a mechanic who works on my 1968 GTO and never worked on a Jaguar before name Dave, who I would trust with any of my cars because he is honest and trustworthy. He looked at it and said it seems to be electrical. Cleaned the mass air flow sensor. I drove the car for a day without any problems, then the problem came back the following day.

Well, two days later while fueling my car up, I had my radio on and was charging my cell phone and within 3 minutes, my battery was so low (nearly dead) that I could not start the car and had to be jumped. After jumping the car and driving home, the transmission was acting very strangely and was bucking like crazy, so I pulled off the road. After pulling over, I put the car in reverse, everything responded well so I continued to drive home with out any further problems.

The next day I took the car to have the battery checked at another garage and it passed. I was thinking.... "this cant be right". So I went to my local Sears, demanded to test the battery with the old style test (carbon piled) suggested by my mechanic friend Dave and the battery failed. I had them install the best battery (just under $200 out the door) and all these intermittent problems I had with the car finally ended for good.

It's been two weeks now and the car is running top notch again and I am a lot smarted about this issue and wanted to share with the forum. It seems that because the cold cranking amps in the Jaguar's batteries are so good, it can take a long time for the battery to totally die when going bad. So during this time when the battery was on the verge of dying, my car was (at certain times) starving for the correct voltage/amps and this was causing these issues. Ah, the electrical issue my friend Dave suggested in the first place!

So for anyone who has or is experiencing weird behavior similar to mine with their 1999 Jaguar XR series, please go to get your battery checked first before spending the over $600 that I did with the first mechanic trying to troubleshoot the issue. It might just prove to be the battery and it will save you a lot of time and grief.

I never returned to the first mechanic, because in my mind, he was either soaking me (a crook) or just didn't know enough to check the battery (a terrible mechanic) . Either way, I don't need to use someone who falls in to either category. I forgot to mention, this mechanic owns the same model and works on several 1999 Jaguar XJRs in the area. Also he worked on a overheating issue that cost me over $900 and ended up being a $6 hose replacement. Funny thing is when I had the car in for an oil change 3 weeks prior, he noticed the leak and when I brought it back he suddenly could not remember where the leak was. So he spend the next 30 days soaking me for $475 the first time and $425 the second time I brought it in to him, just before Christmas. So, I think this mechanic belongs in both categories I mentioned above.

Anyway, I sincerely hope this helps some of you on this forum save money, time and aggravation.

David

David

The following 2 users liked this post by devangelista:
JimC64 (02-01-2014), xoddah (02-07-2016)
Old 01-31-2014 | 08:32 AM

Hi David,
Hopefully one of the moderators can post this in the X308 forum area so that you can get advise from those who own these awesome Jaguars. But based on what I have already learned from this forum is that you will need to replace the battery before doing anymore diagnostic work as these vehicles will perform in really strange ways when the battery is low or on the way out this includes throwing various incorrect fault codes.

Old 01-31-2014 | 10:40 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum David,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

The newer the Jaguar model, the more sensitive they are to battery condition. Weird faults often come down to a failing battery.

Follow this link XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X308 forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 01-31-2014 | 02:47 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums David,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 01-31-2014 | 04:40 PM

welcome to the forum - plenty of info and support simply follow the links Graham has provided - enjoy!

Old 02-01-2014 | 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

The following users liked this post:
xoddah (02-07-2016)