New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Reset ECUs

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reset ECUs

I have a problem with a random 'Restricted Performance' warning. It usually happens when I go over a bump.

I want to reset the ECUs but BRUTAL's suggestion of touching the negative terminal to the positive sounds extremely foolish and, anyway, mine won't reach and there must be a good reason for this.

Does anyone know any sensible way to reset the ECUs?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Why do you think an ECU reset is the cure for your problem ? Also what car do you have, as without this info most people will not even consider replying. BTW Brutal is an experienced Jaguar mechanic, not a cowboy and one of our Technician members, so knows more than you think.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by John Duffy
Does anyone know any sensible way to reset the ECUs?
The way described by Brutal and every other qualified Jaguar technician on the forum.

If you do not know how to do something, it is presumptious to make a public declaration that a particular method is invalid. That is entirely different from making a private "assessment".

Unlike a diy person, a technician is at monetary risk if he damages customer cars. He is *not* going to do that.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the forum John

As you may have guessed Brutal is a lonnnnng time member here and Jag tech that has helped hundreds of members save ten of thousands of $$$$$ and is revered here.
Please trust his judgement, you won't regret it.

You might find the off topic good for fun, maybe check out the mug shot thread and add yours?

Some really good guys and great techs, top vendors offering good pricing levels and great service, and more to come....all good

In the meantime I've upgraded you manually to full forum access so you can better view the site

Old 05-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dear Jim

I have a late (Nov) 1998 XK8 convertible however I purchased my first Jaguar in 1972, a 420, followed by an XJ6, an XJ12, an XJ 4.2C, then five new XJS V12s, two XJS 4.0 (one convertible), and three XK8 convertibles and an XK150 3.8s DHC (genuine with matching numbers). From the first XJS until now, they were all new vehicles (except the 150). I retired to Antigua five years ago and a year ago decided to buy an old XK8 convertible and import it to Antigua. Import duties double the cost and there is no Jaguar agent in Antigua hence the older car.

My first XK8 had a battery failure and the garage connected the new battery the wrong way round and it blew all the instrument package. Fortunately, Jaguar paid GB£2,500. I probably know more about Jaguars than most people and I have never heard of anyone suggesting you connect the negative terminal, albeit temporarily, to the positive side whilst it is connected to the battery. I do wonder what Jaguar would say to this suggestion particularly in these days of sensitive electronics. In the old days you could just ring the Jaguar factory and ask.

Thanks for the upgrade, I hope it helps as I find this a rather user unfriendly site with no obvious logic to the way it operates.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey John....I'm surprised you find the site "user unfriendly" and have diffculty in navigating your way around, most people find the opposite with the new VBulletin software.

If you have any issues or trouble with this, please ask either myself, one of the mods and or any of the more senior members, who will all be glad to help at any time

Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.