New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

rgcurrin - Timing Chain Tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rgcurrin - Timing Chain Tensioners

Hi! I am Bob Currin of Edisto Islsand, SC, south of Charleston, and I just bought a beautiful 2001 XK8 roadster with 55,000 miles. I did not know about the timing chain tensioner issue at the time of purchase and am wondering if Jaguar has shown any interest in helping with the cost of changing over to the metal tensioners in view of the apparent prevalence of the problem. Has anyone tried to get them involved? I think there is a class action lawsuit pending against Nissan for a very similar issue.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,993 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Originally Posted by rgcurrin
Hi! I am Bob Currin of Edisto Islsand, SC, south of Charleston, and I just bought a beautiful 2001 XK8 roadster with 55,000 miles. I did not know about the timing chain tensioner issue at the time of purchase and am wondering if Jaguar has shown any interest in helping with the cost of changing over to the metal tensioners in view of the apparent prevalence of the problem. Has anyone tried to get them involved? I think there is a class action lawsuit pending against Nissan for a very similar issue.
Jaguar does not admit that this is a problem. Many dealers will try to talk you out of doing this preventatively. The problem was rectified 12 years ago and is not a safety issue. Jaguar does not sell anywhere near the volume of vehicles as Nissan.

My advice (and I think you will find agreement amongst the majority of owners participating here) is to bite the bullet and just replace your secondary tensioners before they damage your engine. If you have a late build 2001 (after July 2001) inspect first, since that was the year the problem was resolved.

It is less than $250 in parts if you DIY with Lincoln LS parts, and around $1000+/- to have done by a Jag independent shop.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Bob,

I've moved your Intro from the end of Jerome_UK's to a new thread of your own.

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow this link XK8 / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XK8/XKR section for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Lower Atlantic Region section by following this link Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 08-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 4,335 Likes on 3,745 Posts

Hey neighbor - welcome to the forum - you will find plenty of info and support here to keep her running like new - best tool in the owner's tool box is this forum. Not sure if you plan ot do work yourself or if there is an indie in the Edisto area but there is a great indie here in N Charleston who specializes in British autos - I buy most of my parts through him.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 6,362 Likes on 5,535 Posts

Welcome to the forum Bob,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing Chain Tensioners

Thanks for the advice and the welcomes. While Jaguar may not consider this to be a problem, I can't help but recall that Ford did not consider rupturing fuel tanks to be a problem until they got slapped with a multimillion dollar verdict in the Pinto case out of CA. This is purely an economic issue, but if one is unable to do this repair oneself, it is a several thousand dollar issue. Multiply several thousand by the number of cars affected and we have a not inconsiderable economic issue. I will have the tensioners checked at the 60K service and go from there. Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help, please just ask

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................