New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

RHD XF in the Czech Republic

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013 | 07:54 AM
|
Default RHD XF in the Czech Republic

Hi,
I have already submitted this thread in a 'Czech Republic' special section. However, I though I should introduce myself on the general page also, so here we go:

I'm a new member, living in the Czech Republic. British by birth but many years an ex-pat. First Italy, (ten years) then the USA, (four years), followed by my first four years in the Czech Republic.

In 2000 nostalgia compelled a return to the UK, but the new UK, no longer bore any resemblance to the old England I had dreamed of and I quickly moved to the South of France. Seven year ago the final move to here. Here being a small village near to Letovice, which is 40 km north of Brno in the Czech Republic.

I bought an ex-demo XF in July of this year; it's a 2012. What a joy the first long journey from the UK back to CZ.

Now a confession. I have had many disappointments with the car due to being unfamiliar with Jaguar/LandRover and its misleading marketing.

The major problem came about from falling for the XF but presuming that the web version of the handbook would introduce me to the car. Had I bought the top of the range that would probably have been the case but I bought the bottom of the range. Nevertheless it was an expensive car for a pensioner and it soon became evident that the booklet did not really apply to the model I had purchased.

I must say I think it would be reasonable for Jaguar/Land Rover to publish a specific booklet for each of the models. Or at the very least add notes in each section stating what does and does not apply to the different variations of the XF.

Just to clarify, the booklet with the car also lists many extras, suggesting that they are relevant to the model I have and yet are not, in fact in many cases it is not even possible to retrofit - Sat-Nav for example. Hey ho.

I will raise this matter on the general forum to underline my reaction.

Of course I bought a right hand drive car; here in the Czech Republic the same car costs double and I have driven many hundreds of thousands of miles with RHD on LHD roads and vice versa so that, in itself, is not a problem. However, there is a strange situation in that I will never be able to resell the car here. Only English nationals who are resident in CZ can own a RHD car here. Once again no problem.

I mention that anomaly because the importation process can be a nightmare if one attempts to try to be self sufficient. I spent one year fighting the Min. of T. when I arrived from the USA with my Acura Legend. Finally the EU ordered that permission be granted and it was.

To avoid such complications I can highly recommend 'Adrian of Napomuk', he is an Englishman living south of Plzen and is highly proficient in the procedure. In fact despite being familiar with the process I did use his services and was very impressed.

More anon.
Geoffrey

Last edited by JimC64; 11-11-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: PLEASE CREATE LINE BREAKS!
Old 11-11-2013 | 09:28 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Geoffery,

Good to have you with us.
Sorry to hear that the car is not what you expected, the guys in the tech section XF and XFR ( X250 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum will help you make the best you can of it.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-11-2013 | 10:08 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Geoffrey,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar Forums.

Follow Norri's link to the XF/XFR forum for help, advice and information.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 11-11-2013 | 03:04 PM

welcome to the forum - plenty of info and support - just follow the links Norri provided to a wealth of data - enjoy

Old 11-11-2013 | 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hey there and welcome aboard ....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

See you in the forums....

Old 11-21-2013 | 10:58 AM
|

Thank you for your kind messages of welcome.

I apologies for the few days silence, unfortunately, I have developed a crushed nerve in my spine which is creating unbelievable pain and it is difficult to spend time on the PC.

Hopefully the pain will subside soon and I will be able to respond to your messages and add some comments of my own. For example: The digital fuel consumption readout is stuck on 6.7 litres/100km and there is a very irritating rattle from inside the driver-side door; gives the impression of travelling in an old tin can, not the sort of thing we wish non XF drivers to know about.

We have been constructing a rather magnificent 'cage' to contain the XF. Threat of low temperatures have stopped work for the time being but I will post some photos to give an idea later.

Ciao everyone,
Geoffrey

Old 11-21-2013 | 11:12 AM
GGG

Geoffrey,

It even sounds excruciating! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Graham

Old 11-22-2013 | 09:32 AM
|

Hello Graham,

I can confirm that it the pain is extreme and consists of a base Of 90% tolerance with bouts every 30 minutes or so reaching the limit of tolerance. Night and day have no meaning.
I appreciate your kind wishes.
Regards,
Geoffrey