New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

S-type 4.2 2002 won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default S-type 4.2 2002 won't turn over

Hi All, I have found this forum an absolute gift. However I'm struggling hugely at the moment and need some help!

My ride, which I've had for nearly two years, has never cuased me any trouble and enjoy it to the full, however, Friday week back I drove about 120 miles home through some really bad rain mostly on the M25 which is unusual to be driving rather than being stationary and start stopping! Anyways, not a blink not a flash of lights warning that is and no choking or spluttering absolutely great ride. Got home stopped car unloaded some bags and then started her up again to take my daughter to work. Came back parked up over night. Went to the car to start next morning central locks all came off ignition noise releasing steering lock as usual turned key all instrument lights came up as usual turned to engage starter and ............Silence, not a noise, then on the LED panel up came, ABS Fault, DSC unavailable, Drivers door open, Gearbox Fault, ParkBrake Fault. Thought this could be battery, Jumped the battery with wifes car still nothing. Checked the fuses all fuses in all three box's fine, when ignition on ECM seems to kick in so thought starter motor, Jumped relay in engine compartment and starte turns engine over.Did't want to fire up.

Called RAC, they OBD and got P1637, P1638, P1000, & P1699 the technician had no solution and honestly said this was teh 2nd S-type he'd ever been out to. Apart from a tow to the local Jaguar dealer I was left scratching my head having looked up the codes.

So.........here I went. Water ingression on the ECM got to that under the air intake filter and removed, absolutely no water no damp even from the Air con area. Factory condition, as was the Front Electronic Module (FEM) behind passenger kick panel, and the Rear Electronic Module (REM) on chassis harness in the o/s boot area just near filler cap. Boot floor and complete compartment absolutely dry, adjusted earths points those I could find in boot. Downloaded wiring diagram and started to meter relays, jacked up and removed and cleaned ABS & speed sensors. Front ones Ohms 720/30 at split connectors behind wheel splash guards. On the diagnostic Plug (OBD plugin) understeering wheel at Pin 6 and 14 ohms at 128, Checked and removed plug harness at ABS cluster where the DSC box attached no ingression in fact all plug/connectors all electrolytic silliconed up so no corrossion either.

Had an auto electrician look at it and he doesnt seem to know coming up with the network works on Can link High and Can link Low and if the data doesnt match when the ECM reads it won't connect the other services. But he has no resolve to the issue.

So I'm really in need of some advice if anyone has any to give me. I just can't understand why this happend when the car was parked up. Oh another point even with the ignition on and foot on brake it will not slide out of Park but if you try to move the stick to the left the b,b,b,b,b,b,b, alarm goes off confirming microswitch in the gearbox assembly is operative.

Thanks in advance
HotelFoxtrott
S-type, 4.2 SE 2002

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 05:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum HotelFoxtrot,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums and sorry to hear about your non-start issue.

I can see you have already posted this in S-Type tech forum so there's no need fpr a link to it from me. Although not applicable yto this issue, t
he 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

You can also visit the UK Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/uk-68/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 05-07-2014, 05:04 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum - you will find a wealth of info and support here - enjoy!!!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thankes for the welcome

Hi and thanks. It'll take me a little to get the hang of how this all bolts to gether to get the best and also not annoy....hopefully not intentional...!!

HotelFoxtrott
S-type 4.2 SE 2002

Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums HotelFoxtrot,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 05-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........