New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Serpentine belt broke but I think we dodged a bullet!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Serpentine belt broke but I think we dodged a bullet!

Yesterday I noticed "Battery Not Charging" light on the dash and no power steering. Since this is my first Jag, I'm learning all sorts of auto mechanics with OTJ training so to speak. Not knowing what to expect, I thought the alternator was going out but when the temp gauge went into H(red) I knew something was not right and pulled over. Radiator fan stayed on for a few minutes and cooled the engine down. Decided to drive the last 1/2 mile home and upon pulling into the driveway, my son said there was something hanging down under the car--the serpentine belt! Jumping onto jaguarforums.com, my son and I decided to try this repair ourselves. Thanks to the knowledge of Markus and GGG(very helpful diagram, by the way) we knocked it out in about 15-20 minutes. Ordered the belt online at Advanced Auto Parts with a 20% off coupon code(P20) and picked it up at the local store -$28!!Topped off the coolant level and took it for a ride around the block with fingers crossed--so far so good!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jim....glad to be part of the jaguarforums.com family!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Acethomas,

Good to have you with us.
You have found the tech section already try and look in to the regional section also which is located here Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Fingers crossed that there are no future problems with this hot engines can be scary!
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Acethomas
Yesterday I noticed "Battery Not Charging" light on the dash and no power steering. Since this is my first Jag, I'm learning all sorts of auto mechanics with OTJ training so to speak. Not knowing what to expect, I thought the alternator was going out but when the temp gauge went into H(red) I knew something was not right and pulled over. Radiator fan stayed on for a few minutes and cooled the engine down. Decided to drive the last 1/2 mile home and upon pulling into the driveway, my son said there was something hanging down under the car--the serpentine belt! Jumping onto jaguarforums.com, my son and I decided to try this repair ourselves. Thanks to the knowledge of Markus and GGG(very helpful diagram, by the way) we knocked it out in about 15-20 minutes. Ordered the belt online at Advanced Auto Parts with a 20% off coupon code(P20) and picked it up at the local store -$28!!Topped off the coolant level and took it for a ride around the block with fingers crossed--so far so good!
WOW!! Did you ever dodge a Huge bullet! More like a shell as I understand how Jaguar engines do NOT like to get hot! >whew<

Welcome from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 05-22-2014, 02:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Acethomas,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums and to know the info here helped resolve your recent near disaster.

You had a mixture of bad luck and good luck there. It's unusual for a Serpentine Belt to break with no warning - they usually start squealing for a while before they let go. Very lucky not to overheat the engine which can happen in minutes and cause considerable damage.

I can see there's no need to give you a link to the X308 tech section.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 AM
Received 4,291 Likes on 3,709 Posts

Welcome from a fellow Charleston area Jag owner - you will find plenty of info and support here - best tool in an owner's tool box.

Keep an eye out in the regional section for local events.

If you ever run into repairs you don't want to tackle - I can refer you to a great indie in the north area.

enjoy

Old 05-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

welcome and enjoy the board

Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Hello & welcome ..