New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Soon to be new 2013 Jag XF Portfolio 6 cyl AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Soon to be new 2013 Jag XF Portfolio 6 cyl AWD

I was a Jag XF 8 cyl Portfolio owner from 2010-12. Loved that car. Went over to a Range a Rover Evoque Pure Plus with a custom paint job. Silver body with a black roof, black grill and black side vents.

Leased the car for 12 out of a 36 month term. Loved the looks, but was way less satisfied with the transmission and noise level of the car. Otherwise I liked the "Cat like" agility of city driving, and winding steep roads. What I could not take was the stuttering of the engine around the 1200 RPM mark. It was excruciating for the first 4 months. Then a software update reduced it by about 50%. Four months later, another software update reduced it further. Another two months and parts to the inter cooler were changed to prevent power loss in humid conditions. The stuttering was still there.

The sales rep said, check out the new AWD 2013 Jag. I did and fell in "love" with the Jag all over again. Especially since the test drive was in a Montreal snowstorm.

Picking up my New 2013 Jag XF Portfolio Ultimate Black 6 cyl AWD XMass gift on Monday.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar ForumsTonydina,

Good to have you with us.
You probably won't need the tech section too much but you'll find it here XF and XFR ( X250 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and the Canadian regional section is here Canada - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Tonydina (12-27-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Default AWD and Winter

My previous 2010 Jag with rear wheel drive was a challenge to drive with a 5-10 cm snowfall.

What have your experiences been with AWD?
Any comparisons to Beamers and Audi?
Do the 340 horses help or impede the snow experience?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:45 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum and the Jag family - you will find plenty of info and support here simply follow the links Norri has provided and enjoy.

Tonydina (12-27-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 01:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum tonydina,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar Forums.

Follow Norri's link to the XF/XFR forum for help, advice and information. I hope this model proves less troublesome than your
previous Jaguar.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Tonydina (12-27-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Greeting from a fellow Canadian and former Montrealer- actually South Shore. My car was purchased at Decarie Motors, I hope if that's your dealer they take better care of their customers today than a few years ago.

I think with AWD and the mandatory snow tires in Quebec you'll do just fine in the winter.

There's lots of Canadians on the site and Norri has given you the link to our dedicated regional section, please stop by once in a while.

Tonydina (12-27-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Default Winter Mode Fault

Well I got my Christmas gift on Dec 23rd., the XF 3.0 Sport Portfolio. It drove like a charm in snow laden "Montreal", actually Laval streets (Island just north of Montreal).

Thirty minutes later a notice comes up on the centre dash. "Winter Mode Fault", then "DSC OFF" comes on. So on Christmas Eve, back to the dealer for a gift exchange. Well, I guess cars can't be exchanged, once you buy one, you own it, period, faults and all.

The dealer, Jaguar Laval, great dealer by the way, fixed what was a defective sensor, and I picked it up right after lunch.

On Christmas day I got another gift, a repeat of the first one, another "Winter Mode Fault", then "DSC OFF". It feels like another sensor issue since the Jag drives great in the snow. So I will once again exchange this "gift" on the 27th.

I wonder if they will exchange for another new Jag?

Old 12-26-2013, 04:24 PM
GGG

I've tried to check on causes of "Winter Mode Fault" but am away from home in rural France with a poor internet connection!

Suggest you post this to XF and XFR ( X250 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum tech forum for advice from members with the same model.

Graham

Tonydina (12-27-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 04:56 PM

+1 Good suggestion from Graham

Jaguar Laval by far is the best dealership in the Montreal area. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Last edited by Mikey; 12-27-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Tonydina (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 11:26 PM

Just want to mention that the 2013 6 cyl AWD is superb in the snow. Acceleration in semi frozen slush is top notch. We have had -7 to -15c for a few weeks now. Hard Braking test on this slush was as straight as a light beam.

Coming from a year long use of the RR Evoque, the inner cabin lack of noise is really noticeable. I no longer have to tell my wife to repeat herself, at least not in the Jag ;-). Good thing that she does not read these posts.

GGG (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 03:27 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Tonydina
Just want to mention that the 2013 6 cyl AWD is superb in the snow. Acceleration in semi frozen slush is top notch. We have had -7 to -15c for a few weeks now. Hard Braking test on this slush was as straight as a light beam. .........
Good to read positive comments about Jaguar handling in snow and on a Jaguar Dealership.

How very different to opinions expressed from 'south of the border' on both of these topics!

Please keep us posted on the progress / resolution of the "Winter Mode Fault" issue.

Graham

Tonydina (12-30-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

Tonydina (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 06:51 PM

Jim, thanks for the upgrade so that I can use the full forum system.

Just a few layman observations re my ex 2010 5L RWD Jag and my 2013 AWD 3L Jag.

2010 RWD
1-Blistering fast from 0-60 MPH
2-Head turner, especially from the gals
3-Great handling, especially on curved embankments, and country roads
4-Exhaust rumble sound was an ear to ear smile generator
5-Metallic black paint twinkled in the sun
6-Trouble free for three years (some minor niggles)
7-Gas mileage that a Land Rover owner would say, the Jag is an Eco model
8-Seats that let the rump slip and slide (very little side support)
9-Nav system that would let one invent new swear words
10-Going nowhere fast on snow
11-Glove box button that was mysterious
All in All a great stupendous first Jag, especially compared to my 2008 5 series Beamer although technically good, lacked soul.

2013 AWD
1-Fast of the mark
2-No heads turned yet, maybe -29 weather has something to do with it?
3-Superb handling in snow and ice at any legal speed
4-Exhaust rumble retained and refined
5-Ultimate Black paint is deep and strong
6-Minor niggle with a sensor not liking the snow or cool weather
7-Gas mileage is still too soon to compare, only a couple of thou KM driven
8-Great Portfolio seats, you almost don't neat a seat belt ;-)
9-Nav system greatly improved, however only sparingly used to date
10-Can go everywhere at any legal speed in the snow. Ice is ice.
11-Glove box mystery solved

I am back in love with a Jag. Just a very refined all around sports/executive/fun/composed/exhilarating/AWD car. T'is not an easy task to accomplish. The rest of the BM/Audi/Merc crowd don't know what they are missing.

Let's keep it our secret, or NOT!. ��

Last edited by Tonydina; 12-30-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
+1 Good suggestion from Graham

Jaguar Laval by far is the best dealership in the Montreal area. I'm sure they'll take care of you.
This is my third purchase at Jaguar Laval and the experience and attention to customer service has been top notch. I really appreciated the complimentary get together for the release of the James Bond movie. They even had Daniel Craig attend, at least a life like cardboard effigy of him. It was so life like in a pic I took that I had my friends believe that my wife was giving him a peck on the cheeks.
We were also all treated to the movie and an exclusive bottle of refined extra virgin olive oil from northern Italy by the owners of the dealership, who of course are of Italian origin.
Ps: no relationship to the owners, I have only ever met their great staff.

GGG (12-31-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:53 PM

Great info, thanks. I'm glad to hear you've had such good experience with the Laval dealership.

I used the dealership in Montreal just off Decarie (I can't even write their name without getting upset) not knowing the difference and was appalled at their incompetence. This was not just a single visit but several that stretched out past the expiry of the warranty period to fix a simple issue.

Had I known............