New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Still in dreamland...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still in dreamland...

I went to a used car dealership last weekend with the intention of buying a practical little 4-cylinder commuter car. I saw a '99 XJ on the lot, test drove it, and, well, here we are. I mean, really, would you take the Corolla or the Jag? Can you blame me?
My Jag is in amazing condition--truly a thing of beauty. I still can't beleive that I own the car I've wanted since high school. I look forward to maintaining it and passing it on to my son at graduation--after I've upgraded to a newer model myself

Old 02-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Heart vs Head? happy to see your heart won! Sometimes we just have to throw common sense and caution to the winds, and live a little instead. Many miles of happy and safe motoring to you.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

my accountant told me to buy a hyundai. I told him the XJR cost me a hyundai price.

Welcome aboard

Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome to the Forum

Nice intro! I got my XJR about 2 months ago. I was nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I am so glad I made the leap. I have had zero problems in 3K miles and drive it everey day. Hands down the best money I ever invested. Enjoy your new kitty! Welcome.

Ray

Old 02-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good choice, if you took the Toyota you would be sitting at home kicking yourself.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com. I know that you are anxious to get started and we are anxious to meet you and talk about your car. We have a baseline / criteria that must be met before full access can be granted. Please enjoy the forum and be patient once the baseline has been satisfied full access will be granted. Please continue to post and accept my welcome to the forum.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules.

Be patient and enjoy the site.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Good Choice!

Recently I inherited a 2003 XK8 Convertible from my Dad, and this last week I drove it from northwestern Washington state to Southern California. Besides being beautiful and comfortable, I was shocked at the incredible fuel economy this car got on the road - over the 1250 miles of the trip it averaged just over 28 miles per gallon! Since then, I have driven it back and forth to work a couple of times (a 90 mile round trip from up in the mountains to Los Angeles) and it has been getting almost 28 mpg. Not bad considering the elevation changes (5000 ft to 900 ft).

Since your XJ basically has the same engine, I imagine that it should return similar fuel economy numbers on the road.

Moreover, my Dad bought the car new, and over the ensuing years only two repair needed to be made to the car - replace the instrument panel light bulbs and replace the hydraulic pump for the top. It turns out that it is REALLY important to raise and lower the top regularly to keep the seals in good shape (his girl did not like to ride around with the top down, so it had remained up for a couple of years). The car has been stone reliable and inexpensive to maintain. Hopefully this will continue in my care.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum Bryan, oddly enough (I shouldn't admit it) but I have one of each.

I know which one I prefer, on a run.