New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Thank you for having me here

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 01:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you for having me here

Enjoying the site. Have learned so much already.

I've raced around for years in an S2000 (only 33K). As a British expat, it was only right that I join the "refined club" (bought a bargain XK8 with only 52K. The Buick-GMC dealer I bought it from knew nothing about the car, and no-one else wanted it because the idiot lights were on signaling impending doom. A rigorous test-drive proved it was mechanically sound. It had been sat on the lot for three months, so of course the actual fix was just to drive it in order to fully charge up the battery. Lights are gone and I am smiling. A beautiful car, and I can now boast about having two topless 24-year-olds lying on my drive. First order of the day was to remove that hideous front license plate holder, which took and age (two power tools and some help from the "universal adjuster" and a punch. Why did the previous owner's dealer use massive rivets when screws would have done? Am sourcing keyless entry fobs (missing). And figuring out trunk interior lights. Top's hydraulic fluid needs replacing (or just topping up, don't know yet). Front shock bushings may need replacing a year or two from now. And that's it for now.

I look forward to interacting with you and continuing my Jag-education.

A beauty

The following 2 users liked this post by XK8FAN:
LnrB (08-01-2024), sklimii (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 02:18 AM
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,861 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 08-01-2024, 05:48 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 08-01-2024, 06:20 AM
Received 4,295 Likes on 3,713 Posts

welcome to the forum - nice find! You will find the forum to be the best tool in an owner's toolbox. My "Mistress" is also 24 yrs old and loves to go topless! Couple of things to check - secondary timing chain tensioner - original were plastic and know to break so if no record of them being replaced, procedures to check as well as replace are in the XK8/XKR (X100) forum. Pop the hood and look at the upper mounts - if the visible foam is disintegrating - you will need to replace upper mounts sooner than later - in any case when you need new mounts, reach out to forum members @baxtor or @cjd777 as they have developed a great replacement mount that several XK8/R owners have installed. I would also perform a drain/fill on the transmission fluid, oil and coolant. For the top fluid - Pentosin CHF11S is what you will need, but also check the hydraulic lines to the pump - if the black coating is breaking off the hose - you will need to look at replacing as they will not have much life left and you risk the green shower. She's a beauty - I've had mine 12 years now - so you got a great buy and enjoy!!

The following users liked this post:
XK8FAN (Today)
Old 08-01-2024, 08:03 AM
Received 6,321 Likes on 5,508 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums XK8FAN,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

XK8FAN (Today)
Old 08-01-2024, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,280 Likes on 5,416 Posts

Hello,
Congratulations on your First Jaguar!
What a Lovely Car!! In fact, What a Lovely pair of Topless beauties!
I used to have a 1969 Datsun SPL-311 Roadster, and just to tweak the noses of my more staid and unimaginative friends, I used to mention the impending arrival of Topless Weather about mid May. And then I would appear in my Roadster that didn't even have a top.
Yeah, I was bad to lead them on like that.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

XK8FAN (Today)
Old Today, 12:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you. Very helpful.